Arizona | News | Paul Babeu

BigGayDeal.com

Sheriff Paul Babeu Quits Race for Congress, Seeks Reelection as Sheriff

Mentioning nothing about the scandal that he had threatened a former boyfriend with deportation if he revealed they had a romantic relationship, after which his fundraising plummeted, Pinal County, Arizona Sheriff Paul Babeu told supporters in an announcement today that he was ending his run for Congress and seeking reelection as Sheriff:

Pl_babeuFirst, let me say how much your friendship and support means to me. When I announced my candidacy for Congress, I promised the citizens of Pinal County that I would ensure continuity of leadership in the Sheriff’s Office. Chief Deputy Steve Henry’s candidacy not only ensured continuity of leadership, it also safeguarded the improved service we’ve delivered to Pinal families with the same passion and commitment since taking office.

The federal Office of Special Counsel has advised Chief Henry that because our office receives federal funds and Steve supervises those who are in control of federal funds, he is not able to run for Sheriff while serving as our Chief Deputy.

Chief Henry was left three choices, resign his position as Chief Deputy and run for Sheriff, withdraw his candidacy for Sheriff or transfer to a non-leadership position within our office where he would not supervise anybody who handles any federal funding. Forget the politics, none of these options are good to maintain continued success of our Sheriff’s Office. I have decided to end our congressional campaign and seek re-election as Pinal County Sheriff. Yesterday, I informed my campaign staff and our finance team of my decision to run for re-election.

There's more at his site.

Comments

1. We all know this guy's political career is over. He's a gay Republican nuff said. The republicans of his state would rather slit their own throats and the throats of their pleading children than vote for a homo-gay, ever! And he better be careful, he might not even get reelected sherrif! He might be headed back to New England with his tail between his legs...

Posted by: Pedro | May 11, 2012 10:59:26 AM

2. I don't care if he's Democrat, Republican or Independent, this guy reeks of insincerity, sleaze and corruption.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 11, 2012 11:01:34 AM

3. Bwahahahahaha...

Jeepers Opie. I sure do hope there are more Log Cabiners in Arizona than in DC because this guy couldn't get a mental patient to vote fo r him.

Doesnt he realize there is a direct relationship between Funds Drying Up and no on Voting For Him?

Just sayin'z S'all

Yo, Skeezy Mac Cheesey bringing it fo real!

Posted by: Mic | May 11, 2012 11:01:37 AM

4. Oh Sheriff Paul, you think the good folks of Pinal County just can't quit you? They're gonna drop you faster than a hot potato. Bye-bye!

Posted by: antb | May 11, 2012 11:45:01 AM

5. These past few months have been devastatingly hard for him. he needs to go back to doing what gay republicans do best - toe-tapping in bathrooms while talking loudly and negatively about "colored people" in the presence of their family so they can buy one more day of resentful "tolerance"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 11, 2012 12:01:48 PM

6. Wow, how noble of him to sacrifice his own political career to help out the deputy, the department and the good people of Pinal County! Truly inspirational!

*tongue firmly in cheek*

Y'mean nobody thought to verify whether or not the deputy was allowed to run? Duh.

What about that big fundraiser the LCRs had for him in DC? Must have only netted enough to pay the caterers.

Posted by: jim | May 11, 2012 1:54:08 PM

7. Oh, pooh, my Sweet Babeu! His new office was going to be about a mile from my house...I was already getting out my Drill for the Glory Hole!

^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | May 12, 2012 2:51:47 AM

8. I would like to finish both of my daughter’s school scrapbooks. Well, not finish, but get them up-to-date! Wonderful giveaway, thanks!

---------------------------------

Posted by: buy dvds online | May 12, 2012 4:33:00 AM

9. Paul has shown himself to be a hypocrite, a liar and a big [Republican] HOMO - 3 things which together or separately will guarantee his firm placement on the unemployment lists.

I don't care that he's a HOMO, but the rest of his [apparent] bad character, malfeasance and
    improprieties disqualify him for everything but an ass-kicking.

Posted by: CDM | Jul 3, 2012 11:22:36 AM