Art and Design | Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Magazines | New York | News

The New Yorker Celebrates Obama's Gay Marriage Endorsement

Newyorker

The cover for this week's issue by artist Bob Staake.

Writes Staake: “I am honored to be doing this cover. It’s a celebratory moment for our country, and that’s what I tried to capture. (I don’t especially like those rainbow colors, but they are what they are—I had to use them.) I wanted to celebrate the bravery of the President’s statement—a statement long overdue—but all the more appreciated in this political year. We are on the right side of history.”

Related...
New 'Newsweek' Cover: The First Gay President [tlrd]

Comments

1. He's using the Rainbow and dissing it at the same time:

"I don't especially like those rainbow colors, but they are what they are - i had to use them"

Well excuse me and 35 years of LGBT history, but Mr Staake is a stupid plagiarist. And all these years I thought the New Yorker was smart and had class. This predictable cartoon is only exceeded in it's mediocracy by the Newsweek cover with Obama photoshopped under a rainbow halo.

Posted by: Gilbert | May 14, 2012 11:45:24 AM

2. Let's not go overboard on the importance of the announcement. It's nice but has little practical impact on anything.

Posted by: anon | May 14, 2012 11:53:53 AM

3. Well, I like it.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | May 14, 2012 11:59:21 AM

4. i like it. simple and effective.

i've, frankly, never understood the "aversion to the rainbow" by some people. a representation of diversity and natural beauty, what's not to like?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 14, 2012 12:03:40 PM

5. @Anon, then I'm assuming you feel the same way about the "It Gets Better" video series: "...It's nice but has little practical impact on anything."

Posted by: Belthazar | May 14, 2012 12:16:24 PM

6. This cover is slightly better than the Newsweek fiasco, but not by much. Why does a simple declaration of support for civil rights for a class of people somehow mean that you take on the mantle and symbolism of that same group? It is absurd and demeaning to gays to view their supporters as somehow different or suspect, when they are just in favor of protecting basic civil liberties.

Posted by: carl | May 14, 2012 1:06:14 PM

7. It's OK but not so great as the one with the two sailors kissing ala VJ Day from a few years ago. And you're right, it's a helluva lot better than Newsweek's overkill.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 14, 2012 1:23:54 PM

8. Clever.

Posted by: Jedi | May 14, 2012 4:25:13 PM

9. I think it's a fair comment about the rainbow colors. They get to be a bit of a cliché after a while due to overuse, but they are the most accessible symbol available. Flying a flag can indeed be seen as a sign of support, so I think it's appropriate here.

@anon, I think you might be surprised at how much practical impact the announcement will have. The laws of the U.S. are not suddenly going to change but just today I've read about the Rhode Island governor signing an executive order to recognize same-sex marriages from out of state, a measure being considered in Trinidad and Tobago, and a bill (which seems likely to pass if it's voted on) to legalize same-sex marriage in New Zealand. I believe that in all three of these, Obama's announcement was cited as a catalyst for action.

Posted by: Neil | May 15, 2012 5:59:24 PM