News

BigGayDeal.com

U.S. Tourism Site Releases Gay-Inclusive Commercial: VIDEO

LandOfDreams

The United States' tourism website Discover America today posted a new, gay-inclusive commercial touting the country as a "Land of Dreams," which is also the name of the original Roseanne Cash song penned for the advert.

Watch it AFTER THE JUMP. A same-sex couple gets some face time around the 1:15 mark.

Comments

1. wow. stunning ad..

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | May 3, 2012 8:49:01 AM

2. The use of gay images is OK when selling the US as a tourist destination but states are allowed to vote on gay marriage, interesting when tourist dollars are involved, maybe gays should boycott all states that deny gay marriage and only travel and spend our money in the states and DC where we have more rights and see if that gets us any attention.

Posted by: lk | May 3, 2012 8:49:35 AM

3. LK, all politics aside, just be happy that we are receiving visibility as this is what will help long term.

Posted by: Marco P | May 3, 2012 9:13:37 AM

4. LK - well as a Tax Paying Gay american - as Far as Im concerned the south doesnt exist in my america...and america will be spelled with a SMALL (a)..it doesn't deserve a capital A

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 3, 2012 9:17:27 AM

5. hmmm...land where you can dream of equal rights but not actually have them. Until all states have full equality then you can't paint a picture of America as gay inclusive. I don't think you can put politics aside in this respect.

Posted by: paul | May 3, 2012 9:25:58 AM

6. Bryan Fischer is gonna love this!

Posted by: Oliver | May 3, 2012 9:37:25 AM

7. I like it...

We're far from perfect, but we're definitely moving in the right direction.

Overall, this is a nation of beauty strengthened by its diversity. It feels good to recognize that once in a while.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | May 3, 2012 9:46:04 AM

8. as long as ur dream isn't marrying your soulmate

Posted by: t | May 3, 2012 10:19:10 AM

9. Spend your vacation and other monies where you are treated as an equal. Anything less and you are selling out to the American bigot.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | May 3, 2012 10:53:16 AM

10. I just wish the country in that ad existed.

Posted by: RandyOw | May 3, 2012 10:58:05 AM

11. Does anyone think these ads will continue if we get a Republican administration ? Watch for the gays, Hispanics, African- and Asian- Americans to all be deleted. Come visit Whiteland!

Posted by: Alex | May 3, 2012 11:07:37 AM

12. Aw this made me teary eyed, and I never cry.

The cute gay couple, the Holi Festival...aahhhhhh.

I'd so make my parents immigrate here again if they hadn't already. haha

Posted by: JP | May 3, 2012 12:15:16 PM

13. Ditto what PETE N SFO and JP said. (Though, in actuality, my ancestors arrived here a in the 18th and 19th centuries.)

Posted by: David R. | May 3, 2012 2:34:02 PM

14. Cue "One Million Moms" protest in 3... 2... 1....

Posted by: FixItAgainTony | May 3, 2012 4:22:52 PM

15. The one with the beard is my husband of 20 years, and I'm very, very proud of him!

Posted by: Vatican Lokey | May 3, 2012 6:09:26 PM

16. Almost makes me wish I knew which country they were singing about.

Posted by: michael | May 3, 2012 7:49:01 PM

17. A fairly lazy commercial, the US is much more than what is shown, more diversity in locations would help.

Posted by: Michael | May 3, 2012 8:07:54 PM

18. Friends, don't underestimate the progress that has already been made in the USA on many fronts ....towards equality, not just towards gay rights but in racial rights and women's rights.
    Sure we need to have on high visibility jackets; sure, there is only a short two seconds of gay men in the ad.

But from such little advances do we move forward.....and I truly believe that USA public is moving towards a really open diverse gay friendly society in which it is becoming less acceptable to discriminate against us.

Posted by: JackFkTwist | May 3, 2012 8:41:32 PM

19. I thought I saw the gay couple on a street car in New Orleans. I want people to know that New Orleans is very gay inclusive. I live here and can speak to it's openess. I hope yawll vist us.

Posted by: bart von | May 3, 2012 11:06:30 PM

20. I will give the US Tourism board credit for the micro inclusion of the couple on the New Orleans street tram and the song choice of "Land of Dreams" too bad in most of the United States, The politicions do not yet realize that the "Land of Reality" is next door and called Canada. Even our right wing anti-gay politicians and voters know that we have moved on and are on top of the "equality" list on the planet. But this is a another step that American society has taken forward to have this on a toursim video. The other question is when do the protests against airing it on U.S TV networks during primetime start????

Posted by: Darrell | May 4, 2012 2:04:57 AM

21. what? no visuals of the gorgeous shopping areas? but that's what america is known for! :-)

Posted by: allan | May 4, 2012 5:25:19 AM

22. This thing is playing on my TV 25 times a day now.

Please, please, somebody stop this. The song is atrocious, like an American Idol finale single.

The only worse ad song currently on TV is Ontario's dreadful 2012 tourism song. http://www.ontariotravel.net/TCISSegmentsWeb/gn/familyOffers.xhtml?language=en

I think the US ad is a bit of a misfire, at least in Canada. Canadians' land of dreams is Canada. It's kinda why we live here.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 23, 2012 7:24:34 PM