GLAAD | News | Transgender

American Apparel 'Pride' Campaign Features Its First Transgender Model

LegalizeGay1-1

Trans model Isis King, a former contestant on America's Next Top Model, is featured in a new Pride line of t-shirts from American Apparel. King is the brand's first transgender model, according to GLAAD, which the campaign benefits:

American Apparel employees will also join GLAAD staff in LGBT Pride marches across the country, including in Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Participants will each receive an AA tee, courtesy of American Apparel.

“We're super proud to support LGBT Pride again this year and partner with GLAAD in these events. It’s time for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity, to accept each other and thrive in harmony. We hope everyone comes out and joins us," said Marsha Brady, a creative director for American Apparel.

"American Apparel is showing bold leadership by being among just a few companies to include transgender people in its national ads,” said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick. “Additionally, the company's statement that 'Gay is OK' will reach millions and send an important message in support of equality.”

Comments

1. Didn't they also do the Romney for president shirts?

Posted by: stranded | Jun 8, 2012 2:31:35 PM

2. @stranded

What?! AA does wholesale, maybe it ended up that way, but they certainly didn't do the screen printing. And it would be weird for the romney campaign to pick such a progressive retailer for their shirts.

AND I'm so getting one of these shirts. Love AA!

Posted by: B | Jun 8, 2012 2:51:07 PM

3. Soon One Million Mom will be easy to find. She'll be the one walking around in sack cloth. If Walmart gets with the program she'll be in for a bad Christmas.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 8, 2012 3:44:48 PM

4. Is she even gay?

Posted by: meowen | Jun 8, 2012 4:11:34 PM

5. Gay and Trans together
    Gay and Trans together
    Gay and Trans together some da'aa'aa'aa'ay
    O'o'oh, deep my heart...I do believe
    Gay and Trans together...some day

Come on Rick, BD...everybody sing!

Gay and Trans together
    Gay and Trans together

(hee, hee, hee...Lord, I'm such a caution :-))

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 8, 2012 4:13:50 PM

6. Marsha Brady is "super excited".
    The more things change, the more they stay the same!

Posted by: Gareth | Jun 8, 2012 4:22:33 PM

7. Sorry, meant to say "super proud". Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.

Posted by: Gareth | Jun 8, 2012 4:25:14 PM

8. So proud that I cut my balls off.

Posted by: notanaxemurderer | Jun 8, 2012 6:29:25 PM

9. Yeah, Am. App. would be great... if Dov Charney weren't such a frickin' creep.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 8, 2012 6:53:02 PM

10. @Derrick from philly
    I'll do back-up vocals.
    I love that song.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 8, 2012 8:25:30 PM

11. I don't know how one can have "LGBT Pride" since there is no such thing as "LGBT". It doesn't exist. It is a lie.

LGBs can be friends and allies with Ts but we aren't part of the same group. So long as this false idea continues to be pushed on us, there will be hostility.

Posted by: Donna | Jun 8, 2012 8:37:47 PM

12. Oh, Donna. Aren't we lucky the T's at Stonewall stood up for the LGB's?

Posted by: DiCKster | Jun 8, 2012 8:51:32 PM

13. Isis was a little too self-concious in Cycle 11 of ANTM so I can see how she was sent home the first time. But girl was robbed in ANTM All-Stars. Glad to see she's booking some gigs.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Jun 8, 2012 9:36:28 PM

14. @Dickster:

They didn't. A few of them were hanging out there b/c there was no other place in the city for them to go. Most of the rebels were not trans.

Posted by: Donna | Jun 9, 2012 8:33:14 AM

15. what about Givenchy when they featured Lea T (transgender model) in their Fall 2010 ad campaign?

Posted by: Alex | Jun 9, 2012 9:25:37 AM

16. Texts I read in college sociology classes fascinated me. Several of them regarded prostitution, male, female, and transgendered. One significant study from the late 80s claimed most transgendered sex workers in NYC were black. They were also the most poorly paid sex workers in the 'industry' [male prostitutes were the most highly paid]. In Paris, most transgendered sex workers were Brazilian. I wondered to myself at the time and still do: Why do you see so much cross dressing and transgendered in certain environments and cultures more-so than others? Among Latin Americans I think I understand the reasons for the transgendered phenomena, but I've never really understood why there are many black transgendered. I think in cultures were rigid gender and sex roles is accepted and expected, and where homosexuality is dominantly thought of as effete males, it's more common to see transgendered effete males. But, this kind of stuff and the psychology and culture behind it fascinates me.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 9, 2012 12:28:25 PM