Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Marriage Protesters Take On General Mills

GeneralMillsHQFurious over General Mills and CEO John Taft's support for gay marriage, the right wing group Minnesota for Marriage is urging its supporters to protest outside the cereal company's Minnesota headquarters.

"In what will go down as the stupidest PR stunt in modern history General Mills as a company has endorsed same sex marriage," said group spokesman Andy Parrish in an email. "I know it seems odd for a company who spends billions of dollars marketing products to moms and dads with young children to do such a thing, but General Mills has tried to please a small minority of individuals who feel entitled to change the definition for all society…"

As Jeremy at Good.As.You notes, the Minnesota for Marriage action — throwing away their General Mills products while protesting outside the company's HQ — may not be "optically smart."

"When it comes to those opposed to LGBT rights, people associate these kinds of protests with street preachers and Pride condemners and funeral protestors," he writes. "It doesn't read as politically pragmatic—it reads as Fred Phelps."

Read Parrish's letter, AFTER THE JUMP.

GeneralMillsLetter

Comments

1. Maybe they should use Dr. Kellogg's products...after they read everything he was into. LOL

Posted by: Gus | Jun 21, 2012 3:08:47 PM

2. This anti-gay hatred, especially the venom coming from registered Democrat, Fred Phelps, is sickening. These people need to get a life.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 21, 2012 3:11:46 PM

3. An interesting counter move, as this is essentially a food drive for the homeless using General Mills Products, would be to have Minn. For All Families organize a Food Drive themselves IN FRONT OF General Mills headquarters. Get all of the marriage equality supports to donate food. Then we'll see which side gets the most food.

Posted by: Brian G | Jun 21, 2012 3:12:53 PM

4. Now they are going to be even more constipated.

Posted by: u know what that means | Jun 21, 2012 3:14:19 PM

5. Sorry, I had to lie about Democrats again. This time my Mom was standing over my shoulder with my grandpa, who's a Christian preacher.

Anyway, we all know that Phelps considers Obama the "Anti-Christ" - he's said it publicly many times.

I apologize again for typing a lie about "Democrats". I don't think you gay liberals understand just how hard it is for gay conservatives like me.
    Don't you realize that my family doesn't love me and the only way I can get them off my back is to make sure they hear me say, and see me type, things against Liberals?

Life is hard!

Posted by: Alan | Jun 21, 2012 3:15:29 PM

6. Why do these morons think that only homophobes eat cereal?

Posted by: kit | Jun 21, 2012 3:44:18 PM

7. Alan: what's constant passive-agressive swipe at Democrats and Obama on every subject? Really, you need to get another hobby. Phelps may have been a Democrat at one time, but he's not excactly one now. I'm sure the Dems aren't missing his vote and won't be inviting him to any events as he does not represent the party. I'm sure if you shook the registered Repub tree, a few loose coconuts would fall out too. Give it a rest.

Posted by: MIKEY | Jun 21, 2012 3:52:28 PM

8. Is that Alan number 2?
    General mills will be just fine! Love lucky charms!!!!

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 21, 2012 3:58:21 PM

9. So they're going to protest General Mills by donating food to charity?

Wow. I thiink the organizers must've slept through Protesting 101. Maybe they should go to Remedial Protesting 92 and see if they can at least get a B in it first.

Posted by: ophu | Jun 21, 2012 4:02:14 PM

10. I never eat General Mills products; however we have an ongoing food drive at my (very gay-friendly) church. I have just decided to buy one of their products for the food drive every week.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | Jun 21, 2012 4:04:29 PM

11. The troll is a paid provocateur. Every time he gets a response, he gets more money. He is not a gay man (check out the posts where he refers to his "lifestyle" as if sexuality is something you choose like patio furniture). Don't feed him and he will go away.

Posted by: kit | Jun 21, 2012 4:08:03 PM

12. Some General Mills brands:

Progresso

Old El Paso

Pillsbury

Gold Medal

Yoplait

Bisquik

Haagen Dasz

Betty Crocker

I never buy any of these brands, but many are suitable for donation to food pantries and such like.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | Jun 21, 2012 4:08:25 PM

13. What the protesters do (after they wet themselves in self-righteous fury):
    Spend money, throw it away, shake fists at corporate bad guys. "We sure showed them!"

What the corporations see:
    Spend money!
    Spend money!
    Spend money!
    Spend money!
    "Whew! They sure showed US!!"

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jun 21, 2012 4:09:37 PM

14. Kit who are you talking about?

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 21, 2012 4:17:07 PM

15. I enjoy watching Alan talk to himself.

Posted by: Eric26 | Jun 21, 2012 4:30:14 PM

16. Let me see if I get this right.... we buy General Mills food products, throw it away, buy more General Mills food, throw it away...that will really put a dent in the General Mills profits.

I bet the organizers of this protest own General Mills stock.

Posted by: chip | Jun 21, 2012 5:05:28 PM

17. While the anti-gay Christians eat their hateful hearts out I will be eating General Mills food and laughing at the fools that these Christian are making of themselves and how stupid they look protesting gay marriage, which is only two people who love each other and want to be together like any one who is rational and loves one another.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 21, 2012 7:22:38 PM

18. @ALAN in that case, don't post anything at all

Posted by: ravewulf | Jun 21, 2012 8:55:22 PM

19. Pretty soon the anti-SSM people will be forced to all become farmers and grow their own food in order to survive. How many companies can they boycott and still be able to shop in an American supermarket?

Posted by: Mary | Jun 22, 2012 8:21:57 AM

20. please visit http://www.facebook.com/boycottgeneralmills
    we can use some support...

Posted by: Steven | Jun 24, 2012 6:58:39 PM

21. IT IS TIME FOR ALL OF JUDEO-CHRISTIAN PATARIOTIC AMERICA TO GET ORGANIZED WITH ALL OF THE FRONTLINE ACATIVISTS OF ALL PARTIES WHO BELIEVE IN AGE OLD DECENT FAMILY TRADITIONAL VALUES, OR WE, AS A COUNTRY WILL LOSE ALL THE ALL OF OUR ANCESTERS LIVED AND DIED FOR THROUGHOUT ALL THE CENTURIES, AND HOLY CREATOR INSPIRED COMANDMENTS THAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO LIVE BY. IGNORE THE PHONY 'EQUAL RIGHTS OR DISCRIMINATION' CARD THE PERVERT ACTIVISTS ARE USING TO SILENCE US ALL, INCLUDING THE WIMP POLITICIANS WHO DO NOT LISTEN TO THE HUGE MAJORITY---US!! FIND WAYS TO GET AROUND THEIR ACTIVIST PLOYS, INCLUDING THE ABSOLUTELY PHONY 'POLL RESULTS', LIKE THE RICH MARIJUANA ACTIVISTS DID IN COLORADO WITH THE YOUNG AND NAIVE VOTERS TO WIN. THEIR TRASH IS SPREADING LIKE WILDFIRE ALL OVER THE CITIES. THAT IS WHAT THE PERVERTS WILL DO IF WE LET THEM!! FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT!!

Posted by: the latin patriot | Jan 21, 2013 11:40:13 PM