Anti-Gay Muslim NYPD Candidate Files Suit, Says He’s Discriminated Against for His Homophobic Religious Views

The NY Post reports on an NYPD candidate filing suit against the force:

NypdThe would-be cop from Brooklyn — identified only as “Farhan Doe” — is a Muslim-American who believes homosexuality is a sin as a matter of religious principal, according to the suit.

Doe deserves to be in the NYPD, despite checking the “yes” box next to the question, “Do you believe that homosexuals should be locked up,” in 2009, when he applied, said his lawyer, Jerold Levine.

When Doe — who works as an auxiliary cop in Brooklyn — applied to the Police Academy the next year, he’d softened his views, still believing homosexuality is a sin, but no longer believing gays should be arrested, Levine said.

“They pro forma denied him again — saying he couldn’t possibly be a police officer,” the lawyer said. “The First Amendment is very clear, saying that you can’t discriminate against someone because they have a view you do not like,” he said.

Comments

1. says

This isn’t about his religion, it’s about his failure to understand law and his utter lack of judgement. He isn’t suitable, and furthermore would expose the city to immense damages.

2. redball says

ok loser you win the suit only if we also get to lock you up indefinitely for being a terrorist b/c, being muslim, OBVIOUSLY that’s what you are 😛

see? two can play this game, hun

3. Jack M says

I agree, however, how many police officers are anti-gay and are actively serving in the force already? I’m sure there are plenty. The answer is sensitivity training and enforcement of rules.

4. Fritz says

Anyone stupid enough to check “yes” to that question, even if you believe it’s true, is too stupid to be a cop.

5. Derrick from Philly says

He openly believes in discrimination against Gay citizens? No, he is unfit to be a cop…unfit to be paid with tax payers’ dollars in any compacity.

6. Derrick from Philly says

“capacity”

Sometimes when it’s a no brainer, the brain doesn’t work to its full CAPACVITY.

7. Yeek says

In principle, I agree: you can have a personal negative belief about someone and still work with them and treat them fairly. You don’t have to like someone to do the right thing. But: most people can’t do it. The hostility creeps in. It takes years of training to teach someone to do things by the book even when they don’t like someone.

In this case, the NYPD’s question is specifically related to an aspect of law enforcement (“locked up”), and actually says nothing about religion, or even like/dislike. Since he’s applying for a job in law enforcement, it seems like relevant grounds to disqualify him for the job.

8. JP says

He is this homophobic even only he was asked about his view on homosexuality. I couldn’t imagine what will happen if he confronted a gay criminal or victim. “Innocent until proven guilty” will certainly not be his mantra. I think he should just STFU and leave. It is because of homophobic Muslims like him, we have gay teens being persecuted and hanged in Iran and Iraq. I wouldn’t care if he got shot on his way out to grocery store.

9. Joseph L. says

“The First Amendment is very clear, saying that you can’t discriminate against someone because they have a view you do not like,” he said.”

… um what? Why don’t these people understand that the First Amendment does not allow them the right to be free from all consequences of expressing their views?

10. Abel says

Yeah, like we need another gay-hating cop on the force? Fritz is right, this guy’s too stupid to be a cop.

11. says

What if he applied for a job in a slaughterhouse – and they processed pigs? He cannot divorce his religious views from his job? Go find a different job.

12. johnny says

What about his views on women who are scantily clad? (arrest them?) Or rape victims? (ignore or stone them) Or not pulling over every 4 hours to face mecca and pray?

There’s a lot of beliefs in Islam that don’t exactly fit in with being a NYPD cop…

13. Jersey says

I’m sure this issue has been covered in law somewhere in the long history of the US judicial system.

14. Bill says

Gee, I wonder what “Farhan Doe” thinks of people with a name like “Jerold Levine”? Some lawyers have no principles!

15. anon says

The question was a tad ridiculous. A more appropriate phrasing, and one that is less prone to getting everyone sued would be something like “As an officer, would I treat LGBT people the same as non-LGBT people in the course of my duties?”. He could easily win his case I should think. Why he wants to be a police officer, I don’t know, because his attitude seems lousy. It’s possible that answers to other questions on the application were also part of why they turned him down.

Can you be too smart to become a police officer? The short answer is yes, people with high IQ’s are more easily bored by the workload and less prone to follow procedures and obey direct orders. Since the typical criminal has an IQ of around 80, it doesn’t take much additional brain power to catch them. You don’t need to be a genius to be a detective. Becoming an FBI agent is different and the standards are higher, but the FBI has a much more academic view of fighting crime.

16. Bobby says

Wah, wah, wah, I can’t discriminate against the people I want to discriminate against so I’m discriminated against. STFU! The man has no place on a police force and he shouldn’t even be in America.

17. jpeckjr says

I note he is working as an auxiliary officer. NYPD already has some experience working with this man. I predict this suit will be dropped when the NYPD discloses in the discovery process the real reasons, potentially embarrassing reasons, perhaps related to competency observed in his work as an auxiliary officer.

18. says

my mother and father work with the police force in toronto, doing workshops for sensitivity training in relation to the LGBT Community – it’s simply something that needs to be addressed specifically, and thoroughly.

so, no. we can’t be having unrepentantly anti-gay, or anti-trans, people on the policeforce who are going out to work every day with their prejudices unchecked and unchallenged.

just as you can’t have an unrepentant racist cop going out with a stick, a gun and a refusal to understand his/her prejudices.

this is not rocket science here.

19. JJ says

“Can you be too smart to become a police officer? The short answer is yes, people with high IQ’s are more easily bored by the workload and less prone to follow procedures and obey direct orders.”

Ridiculous. One, police work is not military service. Two, smart people who want to be in a position that answers to orders generally arrange to get the orders they want by using their intellect to influence others. It’s called managing upwards. Smart people who tire of taking orders can then use their intellect to maneuver into another position. It’s really not an issue.

“Since the typical criminal has an IQ of around 80, it doesn’t take much additional brain power to catch them.”

No, the hard part comes in overcoming hardwired caveman-era biases that tell us to regard ordinary, law-abiding people as criminals. That takes intelligence.

20. QJ201 says

He is ineligible because he is too stupid to know when to keep his religion to himself.

all this “religious views” in the workplace are protected under the first amendment is total BS.

21. Dave in NYC says

Preventing you from carrying out your bigoted thoughts does not constitute religious-based discrimination.

22. Dana Chilton says

That’s like saying you think women should be beaten for wearing revealing clothes then sue when Macys doesn’t hire you.

23. MarcosD says

As a gay man and tax-paying citizen of New York City I need to feel comfortable with the idea of the NYPD, which is that they will protect and serve all citizens of New York. Trust in our public forces are an important element of police power and effectiveness. To know that police officers actively believe that I am not deserving of freedom, liberty, security, et. al., would not only cause stress on an entire population in this city, but reduce the effectiveness of the NYPD, specifically it’s dependence on citizens to effectively carry out law enforcement.

24. Gregv says

It’s funny that when I wasn’t reading carefully enough, I thought the above line was someone admonishing HIM.
    I mean, he seems to disagree that a person has the right to say “I’m attracted to someone of my own sex” and still have the freedom to walk around in society… And his complaint is that someone won’t offer him a job?!

I would love to cross examine him. How would he feel if another question asked: “Muslim police officers should be shot with no questions asked by their partner. Agree or disagree?”.
    Would he feel that anyone who answers “agree” should be offered a job?
    “Oh, but I didn’t say I would DO it, Your Hinor. I just said I wish it were allowed.”
    How mentally safe is a person who would agree that people’s freedom SHOULD be denied, regardless of if they claim they will treat fairly the people they hate?

25. jaragon says

Yeah hand this bigot a badge and gun! I’m tire of people bringing up their “religion”- if he wants to be a public servant he must serve all the public who is paying his salary with their taxes.

26. Dearcomrade says

I don’t know if faith can move mountains, but I know what it can do to buildings.

27. andrew says

He would be welcomed with open arms on the MPD. The Mecca Police Department. If the people of NYC are lucky, he will join that enlightened crowd.

28. Terna says

I am a little troubled by the Islamophobia I see in some of these comments. Yes, we all seem to agree that his proposition to join the force despite being explicit about his discrimination is foolish. I’m angry he thinks he has the right to sue. Surely he must have had a clue when he checked the box. The difference though between him and a lot of cops is that he acknowledged his prejudice where many cops are simply walking around the streets with theirs quietly felt.

That being said, why do people on this site feel the need to say things like “he shouldn’t even be in America…” and “I wouldn’t care if he was shot leaving the grocery store.” I know we’re all pissed about and have been impacted by homophobia, but that is not an excuse to condone violence and Islamophobia. I see folks conflating being Muslim with not being American. There are plenty of Muslims born and raised right here in this country–American Muslims. We need to stop equating Muslim with “foreign” and “other”. And if you’re looking to pick on religion, let’s not forget that plenty Christian folks, Jewish folks also have ongoing debates and conversations about homosexuality. The same is true in Islam. There are many Muslims who are not anti-gay on the grounds of religion. Do not use this story to make generalizations and derogatory comments about Muslims. As a queer Muslim born and raised in America, I am offended and troubled by what I’ve seen here.