News | Pets | Tech

Bart Jansen's Cat-Copter: VIDEO

Cat

Tribute or tragic?

Dutch artist Bart Jansen loved his cat Orville (named after Orville Wright, of course) so much that when the cat died he had it taxidermied and made it into a cat-copter.

He added that Orville will soon be 'flying with the birds' stating: 'Oh how he loved birds. He will receive more powerful engines and larger props for his birthday. So this hopping will soon change into steady flight.'

Orville, has, of course, gone viral. Does it give you paws? And what's the weirdest thing you've ever seen someone do with a dead pet?

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via the daily what)

Jeannie Moos takes on the feline flyer:

Comments

1. That's just plain f---ed up. Can't even stand to watch it.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 5, 2012 8:07:51 AM

2. Heh, that's great. Life is for the living; however they want to celebrate the dead is okay with me. The dead don't mind.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jun 5, 2012 8:09:14 AM

3. Disturbing.

Posted by: Chadd | Jun 5, 2012 8:13:13 AM

4. I think it's great. It is a touching tribute. This man obviously loved his cat and is eccentric. I love artists.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 5, 2012 8:23:08 AM

5. A cat as auto-icon! Philosopher Jeremy Bentham would have approved. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham#Auto-icon)

Posted by: BZ | Jun 5, 2012 8:23:47 AM

6. Very disturbing, and not just a little bit sickening.

Posted by: LiamB | Jun 5, 2012 8:28:58 AM

7. Disgusting.

Posted by: jomicur | Jun 5, 2012 8:32:53 AM

8. Haha! I would be down for this for my memorial. Maybe a big turbine on my back for extra lift.

To the people who didn't like it, You buried your animals or flushed them down the toilet. It's all strange.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 5, 2012 8:53:37 AM

9. i don't even want to watch the damned videos. sick. gross. disturbed. (just looking at the pic). this guy needs help.

Posted by: tinhouston | Jun 5, 2012 9:14:05 AM

10. @Jack M: I'm with you. This is too sick for words.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Jun 5, 2012 9:20:05 AM

11. @nullnaught How great will it be when this artist gets it in his head to create something like... a human centipede or something? Disturbing.

Posted by: Bri | Jun 5, 2012 9:26:35 AM

12. not art, just gross.

Posted by: chad | Jun 5, 2012 9:29:13 AM

13. I love my mom so much, I'm turning her into a patio lounge chair when she goes.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jun 5, 2012 9:33:43 AM

14. Sorry, something just not right about this whole idea. Perhaps when he dies he should be taxidermied into a commode, because he appears to have crap for brains.

On a positive note, glad to know there are loonies somewhere besides America. I was beginning to think we had that market cornered.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 5, 2012 9:54:44 AM

15. "Perhaps when he dies he should be taxidermied into a commode, because he appears to have crap for brains."

I'm sure he won't care if you did. Because you know... he'll be dead. Dead things don't feel any pain or care about things.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 5, 2012 10:20:12 AM

16. Lighten up, animal "lovers"! I am sure the gentlemen involved saved the entrails in canopic jars.

Posted by: Anthony | Jun 5, 2012 11:09:27 AM

17. I hope he doesn't have any kids... they have to be worried about if they die first, what their father will do to THEM. Ugh.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 5, 2012 11:14:01 AM

18. People, cats are not children.

Posted by: Kári Emil | Jun 5, 2012 11:29:27 AM

19. Cats are beloved friends and creations of God that deserve basic respect, just like we do. This is revolting and ghoulish! Please remove it from Towleroad.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jun 5, 2012 12:33:32 PM

20. @Bri
    Hey! It's great to see you there; I've missed seeing you for a while. I am glad you are still out there. Write me any time; I think you know my address. :)
    Yeah, it is very distrubing, isn't it? Curious how that is most of what I love about it and most of what the people disgusted probably hate.
    Thank you very much for the kinder tone of this post at me. I'm glad you didn't just tell me "You suck!" because when you do things like that it makes you look childish and uneducated which you are not.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 5, 2012 12:49:39 PM

21. "Oh how he loved birds"..?

"He will receive more powerful engines and larger props for his birthday"..?

No. No. No.

Posted by: Autarchic | Jun 5, 2012 2:06:01 PM

22. Ha, GREAT! Also interesting are the revealing comments on death and what is or is not "acceptable" on death and treating a body later. A body is only a vessel people! And here I had thoughts on having a friend leave mine at the curb in an old bag . . .

Posted by: Mike | Jun 5, 2012 3:54:44 PM

23. Finally a use for a cat.

Posted by: NVTodd | Jun 5, 2012 7:30:35 PM

24. Defilement, plain and simple.

Posted by: KongZi | Jun 5, 2012 7:53:00 PM

25. Will not watch that video. It's too disgusting!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Jun 5, 2012 9:16:43 PM