2012 Election | Barack Obama | Bill clinton | Mitt Romney | News

Bill Clinton Says Obama Will Win, Calls Romney's Bain Career 'Sterling': VIDEO

Clinton_obama

Bill Clinton appeared on CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight broke from Democrats and the Obama campaign, which have both been attacking Romney's record at Bain Capital, and called that record "sterling" while speaking assuredly of an Obama win in November:

On Thursday, Clinton said Romney's record at Bain was less important than his ideas for the country.

"I think the real issue ought to be, what has Governor Romney advocated in the campaign that he will do as president?" Clinton said. "What has President Obama done and what does he propose to do? How do these things stack up against each other?"

Clinton said there was no question Romney was capable of performing the "essential functions of the office."

"The man who has been governor and had a sterling business career crosses the qualification threshold," Clinton said.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. 300,000 added to the "LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED" roll and a measly 69,000 new jobs created. It's hilarious anyone thinking the public is going to vote for four more years of that. He'd lose to a milk carton. You promised us you could walk on water, Hopey. If Romney fails horribly, he'll be replaced in 4 years too.

It's how elections work and why we have them.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 1, 2012 9:38:21 AM

2. I've been voting for nearly 40 years. I co-own a small business (40+ people) and I can honestly state that I've never noticed any impact on my wallet based on who's President. For years I voted with the understanding that the POTUS did effect my bank balance, but now that I'm all gown up and learned that they don't I vote based on social issues and social issues only. I don't want a POTUS who's preaching about what happens in my bedroom or some woman's vagina. And, quite honestly, from what I've seen of the man, Mitt Romney has all the personality traits of a sociopath.

Posted by: Oliver | Jun 1, 2012 10:04:06 AM

3. What BS. If a "sociopath" turns around the jobs situation, the public will love the sociopath. They sure as hell are sick and tired of the socialist.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 1, 2012 10:37:40 AM

4. @ Oliver: Well said.

@ Marcus: You know little about the economy if you think one person can have such an enormous impact, or that the global economic situation can be "turned around" so easily.

Posted by: mike128 | Jun 1, 2012 10:59:38 AM

5. Thank you Oliver. And Markus, instead of relying on what Fox News has told you about what a socialist is, maybe you should investigate the term yourself. If Obama is a socialist, he's a terrible one. Since you've already made up your mind, I won't bother explaining just how ignorant you are about your choices this November.

Posted by: mike | Jun 1, 2012 11:02:32 AM

6. says Markus, from the ex-gay troll party. Obama is as much a socialist as Romney is a human being.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 1, 2012 11:04:02 AM

7. @Ernie...I think that I love you.

It's way to easy to throw around big words, especially when they scare people. It's unfortunate that people don't understand what socialism truly is. More importantly, these schmucks who throw around the socialist barb have been benefitting from socialistic programs for their entire lives.

Obama won't lose in the fall but I don't think it matters as much as what is going to happen in the house and senate, both of which will be Republican owned by next January. That should be the focus of the elections.

Whatever you may think of Obama, a Romney win would be DISASTROUS for the civil rights of this country. The president will be appointing two or three new justices to the supreme court. Should Romney have that task, "God" help gays and women alike.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 1, 2012 11:13:03 AM

8. Isn't it odd that Socialism is always good when a Republican does it, bad when a Democrat does it. For example, the US Highway/Freeway Interstate system is the largest in the world at 46,876 miles. It ended up costing $425 billion, a lot of money in 1956. It was championed and funded by a Republican president and Congress. Was it a 'socialist' program? Yes it was. It was funded 90% by Federal taxes and 10% by state taxes. And this is just one example.

Posted by: robert | Jun 1, 2012 11:40:44 AM

9. It's not so important what Oliver and Markus think as what the majority of voters think, even if they are wrong.

Posted by: anon | Jun 1, 2012 12:02:10 PM

10. To me this election really is a dilemma. Do I vote for the guy who pushes for my rights and humanity as a gay man while simultaneously promoting a kind of us versus them rhetoric regarding economic issues, or do I vote for a guy that I have every confidence in as a manager and executive, but who could very well erase all of the progress made on gay rights in the past four years?

I believe that Romney is, at heart, not an evil guy. It seems like he believes in doing best by his constituents, which, at Bain Capital, were his investors, not the employees that he laid off. In MA, his whole push through of healthcare reform seems like a play to benefit his constituents (the voters) as well.

That said, it seems like Obama tries to do what he believes is best for society-at-large. Take from that what you will.

Whatever happens, I hope that US politics will soon move past the era of identity-based politics and towards people voting based on the issues as they see them.

Posted by: Jules | Jun 1, 2012 12:02:29 PM

11. @Marcus,
    Say what you want, you're entitled to your opinion (even if it's incorrect). All I can tell you is that my partners and I started our business (in Massachusetts) 26 years ago with six people and we've grown to approximately 45. I do know a bit about business.
    You think Obama is a socialist? Why? Because of his healthcare initiative? Ever heard of Social Security (note the word "social"), Medicare or the Veterans Administration? Hell, the USPS is socialistic. But let me tell you one thing, a healthy society is a productive society (with a lower crime rate -added perk). You should support healthcare for all!
    But most importantly, you shouldn't want some rich old white guy involved in your sex or love life (unless of course he's paying). You give up any of your Rights and you will never get them back, of this I can assure you.

Posted by: Oliver | Jun 1, 2012 12:25:41 PM

12. Ah Markus, I'm glad you've joined this little chat-fest. It's going to be entertaining reading someone bring the crazy for the next 6 months...

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jun 1, 2012 2:07:58 PM

13. I'm not the biggest fan of Obama's economic policies, but presidents have less effect on economic stability than they have on civil rights. So I'm voting for the person who seems to at least understand what civil rights for non-corporations/people are.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 1, 2012 2:13:01 PM

14. Oliver, if you were around in 1980 you remember this exact scenerio and with 300,000 people being unemployed for so long that this week they stop receiving unemployment benefits, that even Black Jesus isn't going to be reelected. Are you that dense. Leave Massachusetts and get out to Iowa. Nebraska. Florida. Nevada. See you in Wisconsisn on Tuesday!!

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 1, 2012 2:16:57 PM

15. Yes, it's going to be hard work for Democrats to sell the election of a president during hard economic times. But there is such a thing called FOREIGN POLICY INSIGHT!!!

And the Republicans have given us some gifts: lousy senatorial candidates from the Tea Party, and an EMPTY SUIT for the presidential race.

It will hard, but with Witless Willard as the candidate, it can be done.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 1, 2012 2:19:25 PM

16. Bill Clinton also said "I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky."

And we all know how that turned out.

Election is too soon to tell. I would guess that Obama is going to win, though.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 1, 2012 2:24:01 PM

17. MARKUS....

I see you have crawled out of your festering little hole again to bloviate and oviate your empty nonsensical dribble!

It takes all kinds, so welcome back!

Posted by: BRAINS | Jun 1, 2012 5:32:55 PM

18. As for Bill Clinton, all I can say is thanks for DADT and DOMA, a$$ wipe!

Posted by: BRAINS | Jun 1, 2012 5:35:12 PM

19. Shame on President Clinton;

He clearly knows that President Obama is a horrible leader and yet he continues to support the party line over what is best for his and our country.

Posted by: robert chiarello | Jun 3, 2012 6:26:18 PM