Miss USA | News | Pageants | Rhode Island | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Miss Rhode Island Olivia Culpo Wins Miss USA Moments After Voicing Support for Transgender Pageant Contestants: VIDEO

Culpo

Olivia Culpo, a 20-year-old cellist from Rhode Island, took home the Miss USA crown last night moments after answering a Twitter question read aloud by judge Rob Kardashian, asking, "Would you feel it would be fair that a transgender woman wins the Miss USA title over a natural-born woman?"

Answered Culpo:

"I do think that that would be fair but I can understand that people would be a little apprehensive to take that road because there is a tradition of natural-born women, but today where there are so many surgeries and so many people out there who have a need to change for a happier life, I do accept that because I believe it's a free country."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ri_trans

Comments

1. Well, that's about as eloquently as I could express it, but I'm learning more about transgender issues all the time.

Posted by: Demian | Jun 4, 2012 8:04:11 AM

2. I am more astounded by the words "Judge Rob Kardashian". Is there nothing these people haven't infected?

Posted by: Chris | Jun 4, 2012 8:12:28 AM

3. Wow. She's absolutely STUNNING...and obviously compassionate, open minded, and has a giving spirit. Great choice for the win!

Posted by: James Celion | Jun 4, 2012 8:36:18 AM

4. Wow. She's absolutely STUNNING...and obviously compassionate, open minded, and has a giving spirit. Great choice for the win!

Posted by: James Celion | Jun 4, 2012 8:36:27 AM

5. It wasn't long ago when beauty queens were standing on a stage expressing divisive anti LGBT friendly opinions, and just this past year our Miss USA marched in Pride and vocally supported gay marriage and now we have a Miss USA in favor of trans women competing in the very same pageant as them for the first time. Times are a changin'...stay positive.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jun 4, 2012 8:37:45 AM

6. Good for her! Proud to have a women this beautiful inside and out representing our country

Posted by: Michael Jouley | Jun 4, 2012 8:38:30 AM

7. Woo-HOO!!! She done my state proud!!!

Posted by: 99% | Jun 4, 2012 8:50:54 AM

8. This has nothing to do with gay people. Stop telling gay people that they are linked with transsexuals.

Posted by: Benny | Jun 4, 2012 9:30:23 AM

9. Why are there always people like Benny who complain whenever transgender content is posted? Gays and lesbians do not fit gender norms or gender roles AT ALL, and most homophobia comes from that fact. Guess who else doesn't fit traditional gender norms? Trans folk! This notion that gays and trans people have nothing in common is just ridiculous and speaks to some kind of internalised homophobia. Whether you're "straight-acting" or not, the fact that you're a man who sleeps with other men makes you a gender bender in some way, and no amount of phony distancing from trans people changes that.

Posted by: DayvG | Jun 4, 2012 9:46:03 AM

10. "This has nothing to do with gay people. Stop telling gay people that they are linked with transsexuals"

But ya' are, Benny....ya' are!

Oh, Benny, you know we got rats in the cellar?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 4, 2012 10:38:23 AM

11. Class. Act.

And intelligent to boot. If Carrie Prejean can get fake tits, then so can another woman who may have been born with a body that reqired "some other surgeries"

rock on, Miss Culpo, way to represent!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 4, 2012 11:28:19 AM

12. Keeping up the traditions established by Cheryl Frasier, Ms. Rhode Island from Miss Congeniality! And don't forget...world peace.

Posted by: Scotto X | Jun 4, 2012 12:58:01 PM

13. Benny, last I heard it was LGBT not LGB

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Jun 4, 2012 1:50:04 PM

14. Marilu Henner has never aged!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jun 5, 2012 1:31:39 AM

15. I liked the way she took her time to answer. Well done!

Posted by: Andreas | Jun 5, 2012 6:12:01 AM

16. I think words "it's a free country" had completely different meanings about 200 years ago. And now a man wins miss USA because it's a free country.

Posted by: free essays | Jun 5, 2012 7:12:31 AM

17. Beautiful lady and beautiful heart! I am proud to have someone so compassionate represent our country. Bigots are slowly dying out, and beauty with compassion is what is being rewarded today. Congrats Olivia.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jun 22, 2012 5:44:29 AM

18. I'm not surprised she won. All the judges were Americans and the contest took place in Las Vegas, USA. I was a very fair contest (I'm being ironic)

Posted by: mike | Dec 20, 2012 9:22:06 PM

19. I assume youre talking about Miss Universe, not realizing this is a June 2012 post about Miss USA. But the location doesn't have anything to do with why she won. The last time a host "country" won the pageant was 2001, when Miss Puerto Rico won in Puerto Rico. The contest was in Las Vegas in 2010, and Miss Mexico won.

Posted by: Huh | Dec 20, 2012 10:25:45 PM