Gay Marriage | News

Gay Marriage 'A Cappella' Proposal of the Day: VIDEO

Dearabbeys

Alright, I know I proclaimed the last video my "must-watch" video of the day, but I think I have to revise that because here's another one.

KyleTowleroad reader Kyle Piers sent this in to me this morning.

He writes:

On April 28th 2012 I proposed to my boyfriend, Tommy, in front of 700 people at his former college a cappella group's spring concert that marked the 20th anniversary of the group (The Boston University Dear Abbeys), as well as the release of their new CD which my boyfriend had spent the last two years recording and producing as the group's then music director. I conspired with the group to call me up on stage so that I could propose in front of almost all the people dearest to us. You see, the Dear Abbeys are more than a college singing group, they're a family, they're OUR family, and I knew it was crucial that they be a part of the plan. The overwhelming amount of love and support we received that night, from friends, strangers, male, female, young, old, gay, straight, was just incredible to experience. That night, it didn't matter what beliefs people held, everyone there could see that love is love and that it knows no bounds.

We're hoping that the love we experienced from everyone could be shared with others - to offer hope to those struggling with their sexual identities or feeling isolated and scared, to educate those who may not agree with gay marriage, to promote equality and erase hate. Additionally, we will be getting married on October 12th 2013 in honor of Matthew Shepard's life and the legacy the Shepards have created with the Foundation's work in the world. If our story could help even one burdened soul, we'd feel accomplished.

Watch (and get out your Kleenex), AFTER THE JUMP...

Dearabbeys2

Comments

1. WoW! ...had me in tears...so beautiful.

Posted by: George Deeming | Jun 12, 2012 11:27:17 AM

2. To the first post. What happens in their relationship is none of your business. Congratulations to the happy couple.

Posted by: LJ80 | Jun 12, 2012 11:34:04 AM

3. The first post was deleted. Thank you Towle :-)

Posted by: LJ80 | Jun 12, 2012 11:35:11 AM

4. Very sweet, I wish you a happy life together.

Posted by: Chad | Jun 12, 2012 11:43:11 AM

5. I want to be young again and grow up in THIS world.

How wonderful.

Posted by: dms | Jun 12, 2012 11:55:53 AM

6. just when i thought my day could not get any better. thank you for posting this.

Posted by: david | Jun 12, 2012 11:57:12 AM

7. Well good God...if that doesn't make you melt just a little bit you are made of stone. I even felt my cold dark heart thaw a little bit.

Posted by: ATLJason | Jun 12, 2012 12:04:35 PM

8. Best of luck to them both. Great video.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 12, 2012 12:09:38 PM

9. No kidding, DMS, no kidding.

Posted by: BobN | Jun 12, 2012 12:14:54 PM

10. So sweet.......

Posted by: RobWest | Jun 12, 2012 12:19:14 PM

11. I can only hope the next 18 years will be as wonderful as the last 18 years have been with the love of my life. Congrats guys and every wish for a wonderful life together! MWAH!

Posted by: Jumper | Jun 12, 2012 12:20:43 PM

12. @DMS and so many others, your strength and resilience and unwillingness to be denied not just basic dignity, but full rights as citizens and human beings made this possible. My husband and I, and generations to come thank all of you for making this possible.

Congratulations you two!!

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 12, 2012 12:49:46 PM

13. Beautiful, sweet and so genuine. The fact that it's NOM's worst nightmare is icing on the wedding cake!

Congratulations and best wishes to the happy couple.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 12, 2012 12:53:49 PM

14. Congratulations to the happy couple. And thank you for sharing this moment with the world. You are an inspiration.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | Jun 12, 2012 1:01:34 PM

15. What a beautiful world we live in......thank you Harvey Milk, Stonewall, Act Up, and you countless warriors who have endured the contempt of the ages to bring us to such a happy couple and such a spectacular proposal.
    Congratulations, guys !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 12, 2012 1:04:04 PM

16. This happens now. It's a better world.

Posted by: Jeff in CA | Jun 12, 2012 1:19:58 PM

17. A hearty congratulations to the happy couple. Hopefully one day soon we'll all have the opportunity to enjoy equal treatment under the civil law.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 12, 2012 1:24:01 PM

18. Think of the money we can save on fireworks, as heads explode across the land at this... There are many things about the future to which I don't look forward; but this...my envy of and happiness for these young men and the future that is becoming possible is boundless... I wish you the love you share lasting beyond your final breath...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 12, 2012 1:32:43 PM

19. How true your words are DMS! My best wishes to the happy couple. May their love last a life time.

Posted by: John Simpson | Jun 12, 2012 1:36:04 PM

20. Congratulations!

Posted by: Dana Chilton | Jun 12, 2012 1:39:11 PM

21. How piercingly sweet.

Every one of these events is historic, in time unprecidented, revolutionary and harmlessly, happily subversive to the senseless governance of love.

Congratulations Kyle and Tommy you have every reason to look forward to a full life together.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 12, 2012 1:40:35 PM

22. It is sorta difficult to answer the phone with a shaky voice from crying at work, but I could not tear my eyes away from this. I am in awe of your love for each other and wish you EVERY happiness!!! Congrats, gentlemen!

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jun 12, 2012 1:44:48 PM

23. Beautiful.

Posted by: ichabod | Jun 12, 2012 1:46:44 PM

24. The Warblers do exist!

Posted by: Marco P | Jun 12, 2012 2:17:53 PM

25. This was so beautiful. Made me cry too. (I wish I'll find happiness they have.) All the best to this couple.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 12, 2012 2:19:15 PM