Film | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Designing Women' Creator Kickstarting For 'Bridegroom' Film: VIDEO

TommyShane

You may remember that earlier this year a man named Shane Bitney Crone posted a YouTube video about his late boyfriend, Tommy Bridegroom, who died a little over a year ago after falling off a roof.

A heart-wrenching video of how the men overcame familial rejection, bias and discrimination to build a solid and loving relationship, only to have it torn apart unexpectedly. Crone and Bridegroom's story went viral.

Now writer and director Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, known to many I'm sure as the creator of Designing Women, is making a movie about the men, whom she met a few years ago at a gay wedding.

Bloodworth-Thomason writes of meeting the men and what her movie, called Bridegroom, is all about:

It all began when I attended a gay wedding ceremony in Palm Springs, California. That night, a couple of unforgettable, young men named Shane and Tom joined my table. I learned they were Designing Women fans, madly in love and literally brimming with all their big plans for an exciting life together. Sadly, that possibility ended when Tom was killed in an accident last year. When I heard the news, I was haunted by the sheer weight of Shane’s loss. Even though I barely knew them, their good-hearted demeanors and earnest love had made an indelible impression on me.

Tom and Shane were each other’s first and only loves. They are devoted, hardworking, unassuming and funny.  Each is from a small town and each, in his own way, is imbued with the best kind of small town values. They are, in fact, the sort of young people who hold within themselves the promise of America. And that is why I want to bring to life, on film, this real life Romeo and Romeo—so that all who condemn them, might come face to face with exactly what it is they are opposing.

But Bloodworth-Thomason needs funding for this project. To that end, she created a Kickstarter page and set the production goal at $300,000. So far she and her team have raised $103,902. They have 21-days to reach their goal or they lose every cent, so anyone interested in help spread Tommy and Shane's story should head on over to the Bridegroom page and throw them some dough.

Watch Crone's film about Tommy AFTER THE JUMP, but be warned that it's a tearjerker.

Comments

1. Linda Bloodworth-Thomason needs US to give HER money? Seriously?

Posted by: Rik T | Jun 28, 2012 1:17:05 PM

2. Really? SHE needs funding? Seriously?

Posted by: JSG | Jun 28, 2012 1:50:15 PM

3. The film looks very worthwhile, but I agree it seems odd that she would fund a film this way. She is extremely wealthy and used to own a beachfront mansion in Santa Barbara, and has a family foundation with her husband. Perhaps going the Kickstarter route is more for marketing/grassroots support reasons than anything else.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 28, 2012 1:50:52 PM

4. Are they going to donate the earnings to LGBT charities?

Posted by: Mario | Jun 28, 2012 1:51:19 PM

5. Tear-jerker, no BUT definitely sad. The moral of the story is to make sure you have some sort of living will/trust to ensure you DON'T have to go through what Shane did. My condolences to him........

Posted by: mykos | Jun 28, 2012 1:52:51 PM

6. @MYKOS..... completely agree. This couple was living in CA and should have had a CA Domestic Partnership which would have given them ALL the state level rights of marriage.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 28, 2012 2:13:33 PM

7. @MYKOS..... completely agree. This couple was living in CA and should have had a CA Domestic Partnership which would have given them ALL the state level rights of marriage.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 28, 2012 2:13:35 PM

8. @MYKOS..... completely agree. This couple was living in CA and should have had a CA Domestic Partnership which would have given them ALL the state level rights of marriage.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 28, 2012 2:13:36 PM

9. @Tim NC, they may not have considered getting partnered or 'married' per se. It's a pretty big decision to make. The sad thing is that tragedy often strikes before you can take that big step.

Posted by: JT | Jun 28, 2012 2:19:19 PM

10. I saw this video when it was originally posted here. I want to know how the story is going. Did the Bridegroom's unbend enough to answer Shane's questions? What happened that night?

Posted by: lessthan | Jun 28, 2012 2:22:59 PM

11. @TIM NC and @MYKOS Shane acknowledges that they should have protected themselves before this tragedy struck if you watched the video all the way through.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jun 28, 2012 2:25:10 PM

12. @WAYNEMPLS.... I'm not dismissing the tragedy of the story. But, I am pointing out they could have had the same protections as a married straight couple and chose not to. In fact, the same exact scenario could have (and probably has) happened to an unmarried straight couple.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 28, 2012 2:46:02 PM

13. Interesting. In a matter of days $600,000 plus was raised for an elderly bus monitor who was exposed to 10 minutes of nasty bullying by a few adolescent boys. Here we have an opportunity to help raise a few dollars to tell a love story about two gay men and there's nothing but advice on what they should have done and doesn't Thomasen have the money?

Now I'm not begrudging the elderly bus monitor her $600,000 plus windfall, but this sounds like a story that should be told and just might help the cause of marriage equality. I can't donate much, but I'll send a few bucks. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see my money go towards a gay cause that might change some minds than some other less meaningful cause. But then, I guess there's something not quite right about my priorities.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 28, 2012 3:14:58 PM

14. @ Bob R (Interesting. In a matter of days $600,000 plus was raised for an elderly bus monitor who was exposed to 10 minutes of nasty bullying )

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 28, 2012 3:14:58 PM

Bob R, It was more than one day that she was bullied. There are more videos of OTHER days the same bullying went on. The police are now investigating with the help of the OTHER videos that were shot from OTHER days she was bullied

Posted by: JSG | Jun 28, 2012 3:20:04 PM

15. @ waynempls - I did, in fact, watch the entire clip; hence my comment.

My only question for him would've been that if you've taken steps to create a business, purchase a home, etc. (all of which he states was done together), why not have the forethought to take the next (logical)step to protect these investments/opportunities? Unfortunately, we'll never know.......

....and why was Tom on the rooftop anyway?!?

Posted by: mykos | Jun 28, 2012 3:27:44 PM

16. Somehow I feel the heartfelt, home-made youtube video will be have more impact than a $300,000+ hollywood production. best of luck though to this wealthy lady raising the money.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 28, 2012 3:42:19 PM

17. WOW! THE JUDGEMENTAL QUEERS WHO FAULT THE COUPLE FOR NOT GETTING LEGAL PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!
    These are young guys, not from University educated homes, who were not yet ready for marriage, yet you think they should have been among the small number of Gays who predicted that CA marriage equality would be overturned by Prop 8.

@MYKOS -- it was a flat CA roof of an apt, with a low parapet, which you would know if you paid attn rather than judging

Posted by: Bob | Jun 28, 2012 5:05:32 PM

18. @BOB... you say this couple was young and not yet ready for marriage... yet the story is making the claim that the lack of marriage equality is what caused the problem. Your claim is that even if marriage was available, they weren't "ready" for it. So, it wouldn't have helped. But, if marriage equality was all they were waiting for, they could have gotten the same rights with domestic partnership.

A young unmarried hetero couple would have been in the same situation. So, it's not a "gay" issue.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 28, 2012 6:52:38 PM

19. They were residents of California and could have entered into a California Domestic Partnership which would have protected Shane from Tom's family's depradations (especially since they both knew Tom's family's attitude toward their relationship) and made Shane Tom's legal next of kin. It was naive of them not to have done it, and it cost Shane acres of heartbreak later.

Posted by: TomTallis | Jun 28, 2012 7:06:39 PM

20. Maybe they are like me and don't want a domestic partnership. I want to be able to get Married and don't consider a domestic partnership the same.

@Mykos It is my understanding that Tom was a photographer and was doing a photo shoot when he tripped and fell off of the roof.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 28, 2012 7:51:47 PM

21. This comment thread has served only to remind me that my gay brethren can be just as shortsighted, heartless and tacky as the best Republicans.

Posted by: Aaron | Jun 28, 2012 10:06:01 PM

22. AARON - and don't you forget it. Gays haven't got one leg up on anybody. They just need to be Recognized as identical.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 29, 2012 1:44:09 AM

23. What, did Reggie Mac Dawson run off with all of Bloodworth's money?

Posted by: Mark | Jun 29, 2012 2:25:50 AM

24. @ Bob - I am NOT judging them, so please do not jump to that conclusion. Also, as my educational background is in Dentistry NOT Architecture, forgive me if I'm not as well versed as you in roofing structures.

My point is/was that seeing as how they had these investments (business/home/banking) they could/should have taken the opportunity to further protect themselves, especially given how Tom's family did not welcome his relationship.

As a former resident of SF (and someone who completed the domestic partner registration back in '05) my partner and I (now of 14 years), immediately following that process, completed our living will/trust; despite the fact the neither of our families have any problems with our relationship. We did so to protect ourselves in the event that something DID happen and one of us be denied by an entity that did not recognize our relationship. Both my partner and I were young when we did it (myself, then 26 and partner, then 29) and we didn't have a business nor had we purchased a home as Tom & Shane had/did.

@ Mike - thank you!!