Andrea Mitchell | Chad Griffin | Gay Youth | Human Rights Campaign | News

BigGayDeal.com

New HRC President Chad Griffin Discusses Harassment of LGBT Youth with Andrea Mitchell: VIDEO

Griffin

New Human Rights Campaign President Chad GRiffin appeared on Andrea Mitchell Reports yesterday to discuss a new report on the harassment of LGBT youth.

According to the report 54% of LGBT teens are verbally harassed, 1/3 aren't accepted by their families, 92% hear negative messaging about them, and 60% hear negative messaging from elected officials.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Goodness - what a difference between Griffin and that useless pretty man Solomonese.
    The HRC should have gotten rid of him years ago.

Posted by: enough ready | Jun 19, 2012 2:26:45 PM

2. I don't know how valid those number are--I am skeptical of any study involving gay people and percentages because of the methodological challenges involved.

That said, if these figures are anywhere near accurate, they underscore the failure of the gay movement to address the fundamental causes of homophobia and demonstrate that the attempts to propagate the ideology of "gender-non-conformity" have been a colossal failure, actually increasing hostility towards gays rather than ameliorating it.

Until gay men decide to embrace masculine values in the same way straight men do, the hostility will remain and full integration into society will be difficult, if not impossible. When they do, you will see a dramatic change in attitudes and that will be reflected in more favorable results from surveys such as this. Not until then, though.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 19, 2012 2:42:49 PM

3. And I think we should encourage people to continue to mock and belittle effeminate limp-wristed queens. Whenever I told my dad how much I hated those fem sissies he'd stop beating me for a whole 12 hours, and if that isn't proof that fems are the problem then I don't know what is.

Also, you can tell how proud a gay man I am and how well integrated into society and well-adjusted I am by the way that I come on to a messageboard to anonymously complain about the exact same things every day.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 19, 2012 3:04:18 PM

4. Griffin is a good communicator, well-spoken and clear. IMO Joe Solomnese was a terrible spokesperson on news shows. I really felt the HRC was ineffectual, even counter-productive for many years, more concerned with banquets and bank accounts than effective activism and representation. I hope that changes under Griffin. I stopped giving to the HRC many years ago but I'm willing to be convinced they *deserve* my backing but they need to prove themselves.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 19, 2012 3:41:19 PM

5. To gay youth who are being harassed: DEAL WITH IT. The world is a cruel place. You will be stronger...like us older fags. Quite your whining.
    Sorry i am tired of it!

Posted by: Kevin Thor | Jun 19, 2012 3:52:16 PM

6. Kevin, you sound so damaged. I pity you.

The negative messages aspect is the worst thing. LGBTQ teens have to hear daily, either on TV, in school with immature teenagers, by their own parents in many cases, in church, that being gay is wrong. That has such a damaging affect to one's psyche. Then you combine that with the fact this youth study highlighted that outside of the West and East coasts, most kids felt uncomfortable about being out. So when you're closeted and hearing messages about how bad a person you are because you're gay, that does a ton of harm, because if you come out, you open yourself to discrimination, but being closeted brings along with it immense pressure and stress.

We as a community, we gotta stick up for our youth at any and all costs, especially in our own individual communities, we need to give LGBTQ teens a face, someone to relate to and someone who they can feel safe around and comfortable.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 19, 2012 4:11:20 PM

7. The fundamental cause of homophobia is "Rick."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 19, 2012 4:41:09 PM

8. No way! more like 100% of LGBT teens are verbally harassed.

Posted by: Guy78 | Jun 19, 2012 4:57:01 PM

9. i tip my hat to the brave men and women who publicly came out in the decades before i was born, opening the doors for me so i wouldn't have to go through as much hell as they went though.

and i promise to today's youth, and the youth of tomorrow, to pay it forward.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 19, 2012 5:01:09 PM

10. Rick, until you master your own ego, you will not experience what true masculinity is about.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 19, 2012 5:40:56 PM

11. My earlier comment underscores my failure to address the fundamental causes of my own internalized homophobia and demonstrate that my attempts to propagate the ideology of "gender conformity" have been a colossal failure, actually increasing hostility towards me rather than ameliorating it.

Posted by: Rick II | Jun 19, 2012 5:43:02 PM

12. Griffin is an improvement on Solomonese and I'm glad he's chosen to address the harassment of LGBT youth early in his tenure. Young people need and deserve all the support HRC (and we) can give them.

I've come to the conclusion that "Rick" is really an "entertainer" perpetuating an Andy Kaufman-style hoax on his Towleroad audience.

Posted by: Larry | Jun 19, 2012 6:02:43 PM

13. rick, why do you refuse to accept the obvious fact that there is a natural continuum of masculinity/femininity for people?

you're part of the problem

Posted by: gomez | Jun 19, 2012 9:02:05 PM

14. rick, why do you refuse to accept the obvious fact that there is a natural continuum of masculinity/femininity for people?

you're part of the problem

Posted by: gomez | Jun 19, 2012 9:02:09 PM

15. Gomez: I think there's an even chance that "Rick" does accept there's a natural continuum. However, Andy Kaufman never broke character and neither will "Rick." Otherwise, he'd give the game away.

It appears the joke is on us.

Posted by: Larry | Jun 19, 2012 11:27:47 PM

16. EVERY LGBT has a duty..yes, duty to make life easier for the next generation of gays. By working to attain our rights and respect in society. First step is visibility and not being a shamed of who you are.

Posted by: MJ | Jun 20, 2012 2:43:39 AM

17. I'm glad the HRC is taking it upon themselves to tackle this MAJOR issue. If it were Latino, or black, or female children getting attacked in the number gay kids are attacked, strictly for being latino, black or female...every single school in the country would have programs addressing the issue. But because it's gay kids being harmed, many school systems don't act. That's why we need LGBT organization to demand change and bring change and LGBT awareness in schools.

Posted by: Facts | Jun 20, 2012 2:45:13 AM

18. "rick, why do you refuse to accept the obvious fact that there is a natural continuum of masculinity/femininity for people?

you're part of the problem"

I don't refuse to accept it, Gomez, although I would not consider every trait to be either "masculine" or "feminine"--many are just neutral.

Anybody can tell the difference between a man who is naturally "gentle" and less aggressive (but who would defend himself in a fight, if need be)......from those that deliberately and purposefully mimic the behavior of women, against their own true natures.

You can tell the difference too, if you are honest about it.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 20, 2012 11:42:58 AM

19. Also, I have a terrible flatulence problem.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 20, 2012 11:49:59 AM