Facebook | News

Homophobic 'Sagging Pants' Warning Circulates on Facebook

Saggingpants

DailyKos calls it out:

It's false. Completely false. It's worked so well because it preys on teenagers' homophobia. Since there's a ton of insecurity among teenagers when it comes to sexuality, the story was written specifically to prey on teenagers' homophobia so they would pull their pants up for fear of being thought gay.

Do your part to help stop this homophobic myth by telling people that this story is bogus and does nothing but spread homophobia. Find another way to tell kids to pull their pants up.

Comments

1. I read the link and didn't find any definitive evidence that the urban myth was false. Also, I don't think it's homophobic to educate people on the history of why we do the things we do. If someone chooses to wear his/her pants like this after knowing the origins, then we should be fine with his/her comfortability with his/her sexuality.

Posted by: Sparky | Jun 20, 2012 2:04:53 PM

2. Odd that the figures are White when we all know that the majority of inmates are Non-White. I think it's racist.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jun 20, 2012 2:07:38 PM

3. Do I have to participate in this educational program? I personally cannot stand this "look."
    And this graphic doesn't really talk negatively about homosexuality.
    Yes, it states erroneous information, but there is no judgment listed that anal penetration is bad.

Posted by: BJ | Jun 20, 2012 2:09:13 PM

4. Sorry, I don't see this as homophobic.

There is nothing in that text which states that anal penetration is a BAD thing, nor does it say anything negative about gay people, specifically or generally. It does, however, point out that it's a style born in prison which to me is more Con-aphobic than anything. IMO, it's saying "Dress like this and you'll look like an inmate who likes to receive anal sex."

And seriously, why would anyone want to go around looking like an inmate, regardless of their sexual proclivities?

Either way, this style is idiotic and in bad taste. I don't see a problem using this to get men to stop styling like inmates, as long as it accomplishes the task.

(running for cover in 3, 2, 1...)

Posted by: johnny | Jun 20, 2012 2:09:56 PM

5. Sparky, perhaps you didn't read it clearly. The sagging pants trend did start in prisons, but it had absolutely nothing to do with signaling the availability for sex. Its because pants were issued in standard sizes that didn't always fit, and belts were never allowed, so pants that were too big would naturally sag. It had nothing to do with signaling for sex, but the image is suggesting that if you don't pull your pants up, people will assume you're gay and looking to be topped. The implication, of course, that one would never want to be perceived that way -- and, thus, it's homophobic.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Jun 20, 2012 2:11:13 PM

6. I don't like people showing their asses in public, so i'm totally fine with this, legend, myth or whatever I don't give a fck

Posted by: MArk | Jun 20, 2012 2:29:17 PM

7. Homophobic my ass- this style is a disgrace and does not need a reason to be discouraged. It'sgarbage thug culture. That black culture popularized it was because of thugs, prison life- and that is not something to emulate, wether it's crime and rape-related.

Posted by: nikko | Jun 20, 2012 2:29:28 PM

8. If it makes them pull their pants up, I say GOOD. It's not homophobic either. The guys that wear that style are usually straight and I'm sure they don't want to send the message they want to be "penetrated".

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 20, 2012 2:29:28 PM

9. Missinformation, but not homophobic. No where does it say that LGBT people are less than straight people.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 20, 2012 2:29:41 PM

10. I think when it comes to prison trends and meanings, it would be wise to never say always and never say never. What BS. How the hell do you know, been to every one?

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 20, 2012 2:30:36 PM

11. I don't find it homophobic, nor do I particularly care that oversensitive non-hip hop White gay guys might. It is an effective ad targeted at a specific audience. Good ad.

Posted by: Luke | Jun 20, 2012 2:30:37 PM

12. Not homophobic at all. People that do this have to waddle because their pants will fall down if they don't. Watching them try to climb the subway steps is even more ridiculous.

Posted by: TyN | Jun 20, 2012 2:32:41 PM

13. @Kevin...

Slightly different take:

People would assume you were an ex-con and that you like anal sex with men.

Nobody is going to assume you're gay because gay men don't usually dress this idiotic.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 20, 2012 2:35:05 PM

14. Want to know what part of that poster is false.

The trend of butt-hugging pants did originate in prisons.

Was it a signal for sex? Is that the false part? And is it false?

Posted by: Guy | Jun 20, 2012 2:39:01 PM

15. Aw crap am I the only one that lasciviously checks out guys in sagging jeans?

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 20, 2012 2:39:14 PM

16. Whether this is true or not, it doesn't seem homophobic to me. It's just a stupid fashion trend.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jun 20, 2012 2:39:46 PM

17. This is interesting. Usually I'm the one telling people to back off the homophobia cries, but I actually understand the argument here. If it were not implicit that being penetrated was bad, then how exactly would this campaign be effective? It relies on this to achieve its goal.

On the other hand, I sympathize with the goal of the misinformation. No matter what race, I've never been afraid of someone dressed neatly while waiting on an empty subway platform late at night...

Posted by: Jack | Jun 20, 2012 2:43:04 PM

18. It is homophobic and racist and anyone who says otherwise is fooling himself.

Posted by: KM | Jun 20, 2012 2:44:10 PM

19. Who cares about stuff like this? There are so many things to worry about in this world that someone's pants hanging low and showing NOW SKIN is irrelevant. Let people dress as they wish.

Posted by: Tonic | Jun 20, 2012 2:45:14 PM

20. It is homophobic, folks. Read the first sentence. Given what follows, it is implying that it is "not nice" to have sex with another guy, especially to be penetrated by another guy.

Nikko and Kevin are right, too about the origins of the "look" and how it entered the general population. "Gangsta rap" romaticizes law-breaking and thug-like behavior and its aficianados started dressing that way to emulate convicts, because having broken the law is considered "cool" to their way of thinking.

On a different note, how many of you have ever had prison-sex fantasies? LOL.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 20, 2012 2:45:23 PM

21. Oh whatever. Pull up your pants. It's more attractive anyways. Move on.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 20, 2012 2:48:30 PM

22. Geez. I hate the saggy pants look too but YES this is homophobic. "If you wanna look like some queer looking to get screwed, keep wearing your pants that way!" That being gay and desiring receptive anal sex is bad is implicit but it's still there.

And it's also not true. As someone else said it started because belts aren't allowed in jails/prison because they be used as weapons or to commit suicide.

If you want to ask "WTF are you doing idealizing PRISON styles? Have some respect for yourself!" fine. But why lie and make it homophobic on top of that?

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 20, 2012 2:53:53 PM

23. i REALLY want to yell "nice ass!" at these guys, but haven't gotten up the courage yet.

Posted by: tom a | Jun 20, 2012 2:54:03 PM

24. This is so ridiculous and it was debunked years ago. How OLD is this news? This has been a topic of discussion for years. Cancel your subscription to 'Day Old News' Andy.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 20, 2012 2:55:02 PM

25. If you're straight, you likely don't want to take it up the ass from another guy. If this is homophobic, than I'm being heterophobic when I cringe at the thought of eating a woman out.

Homophobic my ass.