Books | Deaths

BigGayDeal.com

Science Fiction Author Ray Bradbury Dead at 91

Ray Bradbury, author of The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked this Way Comes and many other books, has died at the age of 91, io9 reports:

BradburyHis grandson, Danny Karapetian, shared these words with io9 about his grandfather's passing: "If I had to make any statement, it would be how much I love and miss him, and I look forward to hearing everyone's memories about him. He influenced so many artists, writers, teachers, scientists, and it's always really touching and comforting to hear their stories. Your stories. His legacy lives on in his monumental body of books, film, television and theater, but more importantly, in the minds and hearts of anyone who read him, because to read him was to know him. He was the biggest kid I know."

As Venus crossed the sun...

My favorite Bradbury story of all time is the devastating "All Summer in a Day" about Venus, where the sun is only visible for two hours every seven years, and a group of school children who bully one of their classmates and lock her in the closet on the day the sun comes out, during which time she misses her opportunity to see it.

RIP.

Comments

1. All Summer in a Day was one of the best short stories I've ever read. His bibliography is so big and amazing, I can't even begin to list my favorites.

Posted by: NaTE | Jun 6, 2012 11:13:50 AM

2. All Summer in a Day is a great short story, like most of Bradbury's stuff. A part of my childhood has died.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 6, 2012 11:34:18 AM

3. the passing of a giant. i read bradbury and dreamed.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jun 6, 2012 11:35:35 AM

4. Such a classic novels, brilliant writer. RIP.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 6, 2012 11:46:47 AM

5. He was one of the few remaining titans of speculative fiction. I'm not usually a fan of reminiscing about lost ages, but that wonderful post-war literary world - of robots, psychic children, nuclear war, and ready space travel - is nearly gone.

Posted by: Nat | Jun 6, 2012 12:21:26 PM

6. "He was the biggest kid I know" is the greatest compliment in the world. It means he was unspoiled, which is priceless. I love knowing that he managed to reach 91 without becoming cynical and sad.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 6, 2012 12:45:55 PM

7. He never let adulthood get in the way of being himself. Wonderful writer, true free spirit, jolly human being. Generally gay-friendly for what it's worth here.

Posted by: MickleSt | Jun 6, 2012 12:52:28 PM

8. I'm a Geek.

I've read everything ever written by

Bradbury
    Clarke
    Heinlein

The last of the big three has passed.

Posted by: qj201 | Jun 6, 2012 1:25:30 PM

9. My favorite short story of all time, by any author, is his "The Better Part of Wisdom," published in 1976. The story about a dying grandfather visiting his grandson, and slowly realizing that his grandson is in a loving gay relationship and the memories that evokes of one glorious summer and an incredible friendship in Ireland in his own youth, and the love he shows his grandson and grandson's partner made a huge impact on me, starting my own coming out process in the late 70s, and to this day never fails to make me cry.

Posted by: Thom Watson | Jun 6, 2012 1:35:15 PM

10. A true artist and visionary. We are fortunate to have his work to read and reread.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 6, 2012 1:48:25 PM

11. Bradbury and J.G. Ballard were some of my favorite authors as a kid and I still love them.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 6, 2012 2:11:06 PM

12. Damn. I'm so sorry to hear this. If you've never read it, Bradbury's first published book, the short story collection "Dark Carnival," is well worth a read. It's his dark fantasy (AKA "horror") stories from his years in pulp magazines, and a wonderful, subtle collection. Last time I checked "Dark Carnival" was hard to find but most of the stories were reprinted (along with others) in the collection "The October Country."

Years ago I bought a limited, slip-cased edition signed by Bradbury and Clive Barker (who wrote the introduction) just so I could get the stories left out of other collections. "The Small Assassin," a story about a murderous INFANT, is probably may favorite. (What can I say? I'm not much of a sci-fi fan.)

I always felt that Bradbury's "Uncle Einar," a story about a 'normal' boy in a family of literal monsters (vampires and such) showed his appreciation for those who didn't fit in, and granted humanity to everyone, even those deemed monsters by everyone else.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 6, 2012 2:45:00 PM

13. QJ201, you forgot the biggest of them all, Aasimov.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 6, 2012 3:01:14 PM

14. It is my understanding that, like his colleague and friend Forrest J. Ackerman, Bradbury was a pretty gay-friendly guy. And as a noteworthy little bit of trivia, Bradbury's 1946 story "Homecoming" was only published in Mademoiselle after the unsolicited manuscript was rescued from the slush pile at the magazine's NY office by 22-year-old budding author and part-time office assistant Truman Capote -- who then handed it to the periodical's fiction editor.

Posted by: Jon | Jun 6, 2012 3:05:29 PM

15. Were can I get "The Better Part of Wisdom"? It doesn't surprise me at all that a man as uncorrupted as Bradury would love gay people along with all the rest. Anybody would. As long as they have not allowed themselves to BE corrupted.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 6, 2012 4:16:26 PM

16. Looks like I have some re-reading to do this weekend. Rest in peace Ray.

Posted by: sparks | Jun 6, 2012 4:18:35 PM

17. One of of my all time favorite authors - so many great short stories I can't begin to count- this is if my favorite uncle has passed away dear dear Ray may you rest in peace among the stars.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 6, 2012 5:29:34 PM

18. @UFFDA: I found a collection of all of Bradbury's audiobooks on Demonoid. "The Better Part of Wisdom" is found in the collection "Long After Midnight."

Posted by: Iko | Jun 6, 2012 6:30:08 PM

19. The deaths of most celebrities don't usually affect me, but this passing makes me truly, deeply sad. Bradbury was one of the best American fiction writers of the past century.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of having dinner with him, with about 20 other people, after hearing him speak He made it a point to come around and sit down to talk with everyone at the dinner. He was a big fan of detective fiction. I still cherish the memory of our discussion of our favorite murder mystery authors. He was gracious and charming.

Tonight is a time to recall the pleasure he has given to readers like me over the years and to grateful for sharing his genius with us while grieving the passing of this wonderful, talented lovely man.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 6, 2012 9:42:54 PM