‘X-Men’ Artwork Featuring Northstar’s Marriage Proposal to His Boyfriend is Up for Sale

Marryme

Gay X-Men fans should be salivating over this. The splash page to X-Men #50, in which Northstar proposes to his boyfriend Kyle Jinadu, is up for auction on eBay.

Writes the Hollywood Reporter: "The auction is being conducted by the representative for artist Mike Perkins and includes his five preliminary sketches as well as the final drawing."

Comments

1. says

I wonder if any of the profits from this, or from the sale of the comic, will be donated to any of the marriage equality groups? I would be interested in knowing how much Marvel has contributed to the cause.

2. anony6 says

Hahaha at some of the comments above. Well, I actually like the artwork. The guys look regular, and very “comic”. Both look like they’ve have been through the ringer a few times though, lol. Hey, it adds character.

The tame scene is so contrasting against the backdrop of the fantastic marvel world. This contrast sort of adds a stillness to the scene. Sort of the like the quite of a storm.

3. Matt says

*Spoilers*

@Tim NC, yeah he turns him down, he thinks Northstar asked him for bad reasons. I’m oddly blankly on how issue 50 ends, but I don’t think it was resolved.

4. stranded says

The historical significance of this can’t be underestimated but my god is this an awful piece of work. The shadow issues alone are so amateurish I wonder if they hire grade school kids to ink it. It’s pasted onto a background that has no relationship to the deep shadows on the characters, including the ground shadows that go the wrong way. The guy on the right looks like he’s being electrocuted. As art it’s a total fail.

5. RJ says

In my last comment, I chose to address both the art and the application of homosexuality in current comic markets because I’m currently working in the industry, and I’d felt my two cents reflected the viewpoints of other gay professionals in this field.

Unfortunately, the moderator handling comment filtration chose to delete that comment, and now it’s lost to the ether. Thanks, mod!

6. says

To all you queens complaining about the art, when was the last time you set foot in a comic book shop, bought a comic book (and not just because it had a gay theme in it), or penciled a comic book? Just curious.

7. RJ says

…About twenty minutes before you’d posted. New releases came out today.

By all means, though – extend that logic. What does walking into a comic shop have to do with the godawful and unattractive art used in what was supposed to be a landmark moment in comic history?

8. Tony says

He is mortified because they were just in a conflict about how Kyle not feeling Jean-Paul (Northstar)’s equal, and JP pops the question during the conflict and Kyle says it’s for the wrong reasons, leaving it a cliffhanger for the next issue.