Aussie Swimmer Ian Thorpe ‘Annoyed’ Over Gay Questions

IanThorpeFor years there have been rumors that Ian Thorpe, the Australian Olympic swimmer who has five gold medals, likes the company of men. There was even a huge tabloid story "exposing" a trip he took with a male friend to Brazil.

All this attention, he said during a recent television interview, is quite irksome:

When asked about his sexual preference he says: "Women".

However he says that he realised as young as 15 years old that gay men found him attractive.

"Being asked about (being gay) gets annoying," he says.

"I think people feel threatened by me because they can't define exactly what I am."

Thorpe, currently launching a comeback through various business ventures, also discussed the depression that overtook him after his grand showing at the 2000 Summer Olympics. "I call it the dark times," he said.

Comments

1. Calvin says

Gay or straight, I don’t think it’s nice to out someone against their will. If they wanted to come out, they will do so when the time is right. Trying to force someone to come clean is just inappropriate when being gay got nothing to do with other people. However, if he is indeed gay, he would be a great role model for struggling gay youth given his accomplishment as an athlete.

2. jason says

I think Thorpe has a point. People – especially gay men – love to recruit men to the gay concept. It’s a form of projection and self-validation. I find it annoying.

Of course, if Thorpe is into men and hiding it, I’d be concerned about that too but, for the moment, suffice to say that we should take him at his word.

Keep in mind that some camp-looking men are extremely interested in women sexually. I’ve known a few in my life and I’ve been almost horrified by their sexual appetite for the fairer sex.

3. John M says

Almost sounds like he is admitting to being bisexual with a preference for women. Gay and straight are pretty easy for people to define, it seems to suggest that it isn’t so easy with him.

4. Paul R says

So he’s asserting his hetero creds but also using obscure language while launching business ventures? Hmm. I couldn’t care less, but it seems like a bit much.

5. The truth will set you free says

He’s a bit defensive about it don’t you think!
    I wonder how many gay men find his chunky ass attractive now? He looks gross!

Plus, it’s 2012 for Christ’s sake, just come out already! It’s so ridiculous when an obviously gay man says, in a forced lower voice, yeah dude I like women. Ugh!

6. Malcolm says

I too am tired of gay dudes always trying to project on guys who are either not gay, same-sex oriented but don’t view themselves as having a gay identity, or in the closet. It’s smacks of desperation to try to force people who don’t want to self-identify as gay to adopt an identity they don’t want. Let people define themselves.

7. Malcolm says

8. jason says

Look, he may well be bisexual in orientation. The proportion is anybody’s guess. In any case, I think it’s interesting that some bisexually oriented men often decide to pursue only women during their lives. They do this because they want to marry and have kids.

The desire to produce offspring can be very strong. In such cases, it skews a bisexually oriented man’s behavior to the choice of female sexual partners only.

9. Joe says

Oh please! He’s almost 30. How many straight 30 yo guys do you know who have the financial means to either be living in a nice place on their own or be living with a woman but instead are shacking up with a gay-looking “housemate” who he also vacations with! Again, oh please!

10. Blake says

@Jason

Bisexual men who only engage in opposite relations are probably the types, or at least some of them, that insist being gay (acting on same sex attractions) is a choice.

Personally I could not care any less whether Ian Thorpe is straight or not.

11. jason says

Blake,

Sexual orientation isn’t a choice but, for a bisexually oriented man, settling down ultimately means making the choice of one partner. It’s either going to be a man or a woman. Can’t be both.

The act of settling down with one person is a choice.

12. shane says

Jason is correct on his posts. Tough reality for many involved, including those of us gays who grew up thinking that ‘bisexual’ was ‘on the road to coming out as gay’…

13. DrMikey says

I recall visiting Australia for several weeks in November,2000 – not long after the summer games when the ‘Thorpedo’ did his native country very proud (and we ourselves did not yet have a new POTUS thrust on us by the SCOTUS!). He was THE celebrity of the time without comparison to ant American swimmer ever, even Phelps. Swimmers are idolized there as quarterbacks are here. We American have a hard time picturing this, and their fame does not occur only every 4 years – it is perpetual. During that trip in late 2000, Thorpe was flooding billboards and TV with his first business venture: men’s jewelry. Not every straight man’s idea of a product to sell. It was advertised that he himself designed all the pieces. And they were pretty attractive. That is if you’re into bracelets and pendants made out of rubber cord, gold & black pearls. Just an interesting tidbit…

14. jamal49 says

I could care less about Ian Thorpe or whether he is gay or straight or bi. Period.

Anybody else who cares about Ian Thorpe or whether he is gay or straight or bi needs to get a life. Period.

15. Francis says

The whole “people are threatened they can’t define me”…….”I don’t have a label” etc. answer that comes up often when the gay or straight question is asked is effectively another way of saying I’m sexually open/bisexual. I think it’s very common knowledge that Ian is not fully straight, but if he doesn’t want to come out, we can’t force him out.

I don’t say this often, but Jason is right about many bisexual guys and girls as well. They may be primarily heterosexually oriented, they may be 50/50 split, but they live straight lifestyles, even identify as straight, and not just because they have kids, but because, obviously, it’s easier to be straight in this world than any other identity. It’s not really a tough fact to face for me, Shane, and I don’t think for many others. A lot of gay men do this too, as we all know. People who are not truly straight but the desire to live that “traditional lifestyle” supersedes their natural inclinations and they’re willing to suppress their homosexuality in order to live that lifestyle they desire.

I have strong opinions about that, but it’s a reality. I’d honestly rather Ian come out on his own accord then be dragged out. If he wants to continue to skimp around the question or goes out of his way to be annoyed by it, then he’s really bringing more spotlight on himself and his personal life anyway.

16. M. Scott Hernandez says

That is a stupid question. Have your fantasy at home. Four things people should not talk about: sex, religion, politics and annual income.

17. TrueWords says

if he WAS NOT ATTRACTIVE GAY MEN would and could care less; that is the truth of the matter…gay men project too much of their own carnal desires onto “celebrities” with the hope that they are gay so they can feel that they are a part of this exclusive group….

A fat man in Hollywood could spend his entire less gay as a three dollar bill and the gay press and gay men would miss it by a mile…

Bottom line: gay men are thinking way too much with their small dicks

18. Robb says

Sorry Jason, but your entire post is completely off. “People — especially gay men — like to recruit men to the gay concept.”?? How is ‘gay’ a mere concept? You either are or you aren’t and you can’t be recruited regardless.

No more should you be concerned if Thorpe is gay and hiding it. Why? It’s his business, not yours. Your concern is baseless and unwanted…

As is your horror over the fairer sex bringing interest from “camp-looking men.” Honestly, to each his own. You sound at best like a busybody and at worst like a homophobe yourself.

19. BobN says

I like men. No ambiguity about it. And I don’t go around saying things like, “I think people feel threatened by me because they can’t define exactly what I am.”

I suspect that if I did, people would wonder…

20. Lone Star says

Well, if it’s true that you gain weight when you fall in love, there might be something to his relationship with Daniel Mendez: [url=http://gazetaonline.globo.com/_midias/jpg/76542-4980baa57eac0.jpg]Thorpe then and now[/url]

21. Wdeanis says

@Jamal dismissing Thorpe altogether is not the same as dismissing his sexuality and questions thereof. I care a good deal about Ian Thorpe’s career, as do a solid population of the world. He’s a great swimmer. “Get a life”, my ass.

22. ratbastard says

Well, at least he doesn’t mutilate infant boy’s penises and suck on them. That makes him OK in my book.

Is it kosher to criticize barbaric Jewish rituals on TR?

Just saying.

23. Gordon says

This is ridiculous, in the majority of the world being gay is culturally not accepted, it happens but there are laws, in places extreme laws. In the uk homosexuality was only decriminalised in 1967 – the internet was invented 30 years later …

24. andrew says

Leave the young man alone. Let him concentrate on the olympics. His private life is nobody’s damn business unless he chooses to share it with them.

25. dani says

Some gays should stop pointing out straight men as gay because they are attractive. My best friend is straight; he had to cope with rumors on his sexual orientation so many times, just because he was partying in bars with me. it’s oaf. I understand Thorpe.

26. Jasonb84 says

I’m in Australia, the population here find it strange that a rich relatively good looking guy who is nearly 30 has never had a girl friend. Plus extremely sexy females have been throwing themselves at him and he turns them away. Now something is not quite right, yes Thorpe might be straight, but there is too many un-answered questions about his personal life.

27. Josh says

Build them up, rip them down. You queens are pathetic. Who would want you? Try the old naked full length mirror test. You won’t go out for a week,

28. Stefan says

Still always amazed at how many comments are some variation of “he acts gay” or “he doesn’t act straight” etc. Are we still indulging in those stereotypes in 2012? Really?

29. john says

As Re Ian Thorpe i think its his personal business if he is gay, he does not have to let anyone know if he is or if he is not. In my oppinion I would say he is, but thats not either here or there. I do think It would be sad as re media if he could not be his true self as regards to his sexuality preferences. Having to live a life of trying to be what your not is sad and it wont work.There is nothing wrong wiyh being gay, no one chose to feel like that. So go on ian get yourself a man.

30. Perkin Warbeck says

Ian is so deeply in the closet that he will never come out.
    If you’ve sucked cock frequently but can’t admit it, I’d say that’s denial.

31. Perkin Warbeck says

Ian is so deeply in the closet that he will never come out.
    If you’ve sucked cock frequently but can’t admit it, I’d say that’s denial.