Chris Brown On Frank Ocean’s Homosexuality

ChrisBrownR&B singer Chris Brown, who has been in desperate image-fixing mode since brutalizing his ex-girlfriend Rihanna, probably put his foot in it last night while he departing a club called Gotha in Cannes, when he was asked by a reporter for his feelings on Frank Ocean, the singer/rapper who came out early this month. Said Brown: "Man, no homo!"

There is a non-offensive use for the phrase "no homo" — when two young heterosexual men who don't quite know each other are sharing a bit of fraternal affection and don't wish to give each other the wrong idea — but it's a good bet that Brown didn't mean to be inoffensive. As PRLog points out:

Brown has had run-ins with Ocean before, in 2011 the two exchange hate tweets that eventually erupted into Brown sending family members to attack Frank Ocean.

Plus, Brown's publicly paraded his homophobia before — at a pickup basketball game, for instance, in which he berated his teammates, all strangers, by calling them "gay" and responding to missed shots with cries of "faggot."

Comments

1. Kev says

Is the phrase “no homo” ever really inoffensive? There are worse things, but implying that “that was a totally hetero hug, man” and anything else would be unfortunate isn’t cute.

2. Jim says

This man is a jerk. He beats his girlfriend… expresses intolerance to gays. Society should show him and his “15 Minutes of Fame” to the door.

3. 24play says

How stupid does one have to be to not recognize that “when two young heterosexual men who don’t quite know each other are sharing a bit of fraternal affection and don’t wish to give each other the wrong idea” and say “No homo” it is a deeply homophobic act?

Too bad we don’t have a better class of fill-ins for Andy around here. Belonsky and Thorp blow.

4. atomic says

I have to agree with the other comments. The use of “no homo” is intrinsically offensive, even in the context that Brandon cites. It’s telling that he doesn’t consider it pejorative when straight men feel a need to make a verbal declaration denying any sexual intent whenever they do anything that might be construed as such. It’s a deeply-ingrained prejudice against expressions of masculine affection that not only reinforces hatred of gay male culture, but seeks to place shame on any kind of male-on male body contact that isn’t violent.

You have to be really, really brainwashed to not see that.

5. atomic says

You have to be really, really brainwashed to not see that.

6. Scott Amundsen says

“There is a non-offensive use for the phrase ‘no homo…'”

Really? Since when, and how does one differentiate between the two?

“Plus, Brown’s publicly paraded his homophobia before — at a pickup basketball game, for instance, in which he berated his teammates, all strangers, by calling them “gay” and responding to missed shots with cries of “faggot.”

Anyone who throws the word “faggot” around as much as Brown does is only bringing suspicion down on himself.

Really Thorp, surely you can do better than this.

“The Lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

7. Sarm says

Thorp, get out. Just. Get. Out.

You are an embarrassment and detriment to the cause by having so little self esteem to ever accept that there is ever an inoffensive use for a clearly anti-gay slur.

As for Brown, way to dig yourself deeper. Then again, can anyone really expect anything less from a “celebrity” with so little class as he?

8. Mikey says

Thorp, I’m a big fan. Keep injecting your personality into this blog. We’re glad you’re here.

As for Brown, he’s absolute excrement. These two singers are night-and-day for me. When I think of Chris Brown, I want to vomit. When I think of Frank Ocean, I want to smile-and-cry (damn you, “Bad Religion,” so beautiful).

9. ozu says

“There is a non-offensive use for the phrase ‘no homo'”
    Huh? Did I really just read that on this blog? I guess for Thorp white guilt trumps black homophobia.

10. Brian says

Since this post has become a poll on Brandon, just want to raise my hand as a supporter, I think he’s the best writer of the three. Towleroad comments are always a swamp of negativity, just ignore them and keep doing what you’re doing, thanks.

11. ChristopherM says

This just goes to show how deeply homophobia is embedded in misogyny. Chris Brown hates women, and hates what he even perceives as being feminine. What a waste of space.

12. says

The radical contingent of the Gay blogosphere is always eager to give any kind of homophobic hate speech a pass: F*ggot, d*ke, tr*nny, queer, and now “no homo”. These idiots never saw an anti-Gay slur they didn’t love! One of these days, it’s going to become clear to everybody that RadiQueer talking points are nothing but Fundamentalist propaganda in far Left Wing drag.

13. Brandon K. Thorp says

Mikey, Brian: Thanks!

Sarm and others: Not everyone is aware of language politics. I have heard “no-homo” used as a synonym for the phrase “I’m not gay” by young straight men who are actively, busily pro-gay — young men who are unaware that the phrase is sometimes used nastily, and who, if they were aware, would likely stop using it. That’s inoffensive. I do believe, probably unfashionably, that intent trumps perception of intent.

Which doesn’t say anything about Chris Brown. The guy’s got a record that can’t be ignored.

– BKT

14. my2cents says

dear andy:

been following Towleroad for quite a while now… always returning because you’ve aggregated an interesting mix of gay related postings and a spattering of off-beat curiosities.

this mix built your brand and a loyal following. when you visited Towleroad, you “knew where you were”. your edit leading into posts were succinct and not about you.

sadly, it seems, the times are a changin’.

*shrugs*

15. barbershop says

“I have heard “no-homo” used as a synonym for the phrase “I’m not gay” by young straight men who are actively, busily pro-gay — young men who are unaware that the phrase is sometimes used nastily, and who, if they were aware, would likely stop using it.”

I agree with Thorp. Judging by the comments here I’m guessing the average age those commenting is probably over 40. Not everyone is aware of the negative connotation of the term especially the younger guys. When pointed out, they stop using it. In my experience anyway.

16. Jersey says

Chris Brown’s antics keep piling up, sooner than later someone’s going to pop a cap in his ash as they say. As surely as Amy Winehouse was going to off herself with drugs Chris Brown will end up dead from a gunshot.

17. Mr. E says

Just because some young straight non-homophobic dudes use the term ‘no homo’ does not make it any less offensive. Just because they may be unaware of it’s offensiveness does not make it unoffensive. How does the saying go, ‘ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.’ Bad judgment call there Brandon.

18. Todd says

I don’t know on what planet Brandon is living (evidently, “Florida”), but use of the phrase “no homo” is pretty much always offensive (or at least indicative of homophobia by the guy saying it). Implicit in the phrase is the notion that it would be an utterly terrible thing to be mistaken for being gay, hence the need to inoculate oneself from any hint of gayness by saying “no homo.”

If white dudes ran around saying “no Negro” whenever they did anything that could be perceived as vaguely “black,” I don’t think we’d question whether such behavior was racist.

I expect better from a gay blog. And the number of comments piling on regarding this point (in an otherwise inane post) suggests that Brandon is off base here.

19. Icebloo says

Chris Brown is a lucky boy. If he wasn’t able to write songs he would be in prison. He is SO dumb. He writes POP songs and gay people are one of his biggest audiences. He may call himself an R&B artist but he isn’t – he writes pop songs.

I hope gay people now stop buying his pop music.

20. Kim says

Gay blogs congrats on making Breezy more popular .Ignore him FYI He and Frank have been enemies for years he’s called Frank far worse before He came out

21. Michael says

“No homo” means “I’m a closet case”.

Seriously, Lil’Bow Wow came up with it & he’s 100% queer as f*ck. Now, Chris Brown, who has rumors galore about him being queer, from beating up Rhianna because she used it against him to him having sex with R&B singer Martyn to B2K writing a book naming him and Lil’Bow Wow as queer, is acting as if the only difference between him and Ocean isn’t that Ocean is actually man enough to admit it.

22. Rob says

Unfortunately, Brandon Thorp seems to be the one who is “unaware of language politics,” and has a reckless disregard for the decades of struggle that have gotten us to this point and how much further we have to go. “No homo” is intrinsically homophobic and reckless speech, regardless of the “conscious” intent of the speaker. Words matter. This word carries with it decades of oppression, hate and violence. There is no escaping that.

I have been following this blog loyally for at least 6 years, but it has become increasingly disappointing. Brandon Thorp’s updates are consistently offensive and/or tacky and/or a horrible combination of preachy and latent homophobia, as we get here. In addition, lately it seems the “news” items here are posted 2 or 3 days after I’ve already read them elsewhere.

It’s just really disappointing, and worse that Brandon totally fails to recognize this and seems to be convinced it’s other folks’ own personal baggage and ignorance that render them critical of his posts. Without candid self-reflection and self-scrutiny, he will never see these significant flaws. :-(

23. robertmalcolm says

Tired of the lack of editing. Never seen so many misspellings on a popular blog. As well, “No Homo” is always offensive as most every poster has noted. Finally, while not totally turned off I do have to agree that Towleroad has taken a turn for the worse with all the “guest” bloggers.

24. says

I work in the music industry, and with hip hop artists and their reps. The real truth is…. No, there isn’t a non offensive way of using no homo. The whole POINT of that term is to be agressive and offensive. Anyone who knows street slang would tell you that.
    There is a semi ‘movement’ to retire the word. I don’t hear it used AS much, but don’t kid yourself into believing it’s not meant to be insulting. Let’s keep it real now

25. Long Beach Fan says

I asked all my friends who listen to hip hop it no-homo is meant in a non offensive way and they all said “no, its meant to offend and get the point across that the person is NOT about gay people and not into it”

Who the hell is writing for Towleroad? NOM?

26. ColSireh says

You can’t just dictate to a group of people whom a phrase it directed to that it’s not offensive to them. Clearly, for many gays, many in fact do find the term no homo ridiculous and offensive.

It reminds me once when a roomate used the word JAP in front of a jewish girl friend. For many jewish women, thats an incredibly hurtful term. He didn’t get it until she told him how its in the person who that word is effecting who gets to decide if its hurtful or not. The person saying it and whom the word does not apply to isn’t qualified to make that call.

27. Kevin Mendoza says

I’m so sick of being told if I don’t accept homophobia or homohobic slang, I’m not ‘trendy’ or I must be old. 26 is NOT old. And I know plenty about trends, but just because some of us have a back bone and don’t settle for homophobic slang… Does not mean we’re not cool enough. I pity the fool who wants to ‘fit in’ so bad, he’s willing to be the butt of a joke and use lame @$$ terms like ‘no homo’
    Smh. That’s some pathetic weak ishh right there

28. Ria says

The people who excuse terms like no homo remind me of that clown Antoine Dodson. Eatin his Chik Fil A and saying ‘as long as I got mine, I dont give two craps about you’

Way to stick it to homophobia. But you don’t care. So long as your soon as popular amongst your friends, why correct words that undermine the entire gay community. Just keep being the Mammy character you do so well

29. Randy says

You said: There is a non-offensive use for the phrase “no homo” — when two young heterosexual men who don’t quite know each other are sharing a bit of fraternal affection and don’t wish to give each other the wrong idea

Except that these two young heterosexual men don’t quite know each other. So they don’t know they are both heterosexual. So one is saying “no homo” to someone who may very well be homo, and this phrase might shove him into the closet. It’s offensive.

30. Home-Grown says

I’m black, lived in “the hood” pretty much my whole life and WTF with this bull that no homo aint meant to be offensive?! Try telling that to a gay black child who has that yelled at him every day when leavin the market, followed by other words. The bullll sht that pisses me off is nobody wanna change the homophobia in street culture. And guess who is hurt most by it? Young black gays. Not rich asian, whites or anyone else, but those of us who live it and we got gay people now excusing filth words like no homo. It doesn’t get bette with this weak gay community who cant see homophobia if it be smacking them in the forhead

31. Tom Cardellino says

It being summertime and all, I decided to treat my big Irish-Italian-American family (all of whom just happen to be white) to a classic summer picnic. Among the foods included on the menu I listed some fried chicken and sliced watermelon, summer classics, with the warning that the food was “no-black” just so my fellow white relations wouldn’t get the “wrong” idea. That shouldn’t be seen in any way offensive to my black friends and coworkers should they see it, should it?
    Give me a f**king break about “no-homo” ever being inoffensive! Just how many stupid straight people does one gay guy have to keep as friends when they “inoffensively” denigrate gay-seeming signs of affection as “warning-worthy?” That is some deeply internalized homophobia worthy of professional care to overcome!

32. Lazerlightbeams says

How can the gay community sincerely want anti gay bullying for our 8, 9 10 year old gay children to stop when WE excuse, and encourage terms like ‘no homo’

Seriously. Think about that.

The gay communities lack of conviction and standing up for their convictions is what is contributing to so much homophobia in society and schoolsp

33. says

I agree with another poster.

Not correcting and changing the outlook on homophobic street slang, like no homo, hurts vulnerable black LGBT more than anyone. And that’s a shame, and something Brandon Thorpe should consider.

Instead of just accepting homophobic terms, actions and slang for what it is…. Correct it, challenge it and educate the person saying it. Make em THINK. They may open their minds and be considerate of other aspects that affect gay folks, but unless you’re willing to have that conversation, no progress is being made. Accepting homophobia for face value is being complacent. And lazy.

34. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

Chris Brown HAS A FAKE PHOTOGRAPH OF HIS LONG AND SKINNY PETER ON THE INTERNET. Mr. Brown SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO CALL HIMSELF NEGRO MALE WITH A LIL’ PETER LIKE THAT.

I BET Frank Ocean’s PETER IS BIGGER AND “black” LOOKING! Mr. Brown NEEDS TO HIDE AND KEEP HIS CLOTHES ON!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

35. huascar66 says

Uh, besides trying to wrap my head around “there is a non-offensive use for the phrase ‘no homo'”, I still don’t get the following explanation of the “no homo” slur: “when two young heterosexual men who don’t quite know each other are sharing a bit of fraternal affection and don’t wish to give each other the wrong idea”.

Uh, if both dudes know that the other is heterosexual, then how do they each get the “wrong idea” about the other?

And, ChristopherM nailed it: homophobia IS deeply embedded in misogyny. The fear of the feminine–originating in and propagated by patriarchal religions and/or societies–continues to be a poisonous, foul presence in what passes for modern “civilization”.

However, I am sure that Rick will disagree.

36. Bruce Miami says

C’mon, as the leading LGBT blog, you can do better. THE TRUTH IS: CHRIS BROWN SUPPORTS FRANK OCEAN, AND TWEETED HIS SUPPORT TO HIS 10 MILLION FANS. Even Zimbio and the Christianpost have printed Chris Brown’s support of Frank Ocean’s coming out.

Chris posted: “My Opinion on the whole Frank Ocean subject is……… Love who u want to love. It’s your decision. People stop searching for BS.” and then “Everyone is so quick to point the wrong fingers at each other! Ask urself… Am I Doing everything I can to help the world?”

Whether you like Chris Brown or not, we rely on you to be current and balanced, not to placate the gossip-mongers and focus on hatred toward our community. You’re supposed to be a source of reliable news, not a trashy, inaccurate gossip column. Why do you source the paparazzi and gossip columns, but not Chris Brown’s opinion which he states directly on Twitter? Where is your journalist integrity? It is depressing how the media has degenerated.

Mark Twain and Winston Churchill said it best “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put its pants on.”

37. Robert says

The only good reaction to a question like the one he was asked would have been ‘well, why would anyone care about my opinion on that subject?’

I’d like to hear more ‘celebrities’ use that answer when asked pointless questions by media flacks.