Jimmy Fallon | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Frank Ocean Performs 'Bad Religion' On Jimmy Fallon: VIDEO

FrankOceanFallon

Making his first ever television appearance, recently out singer Frank Ocean took Jimmy Fallon's stage last night to belt out "Bad Religion," a track from his debut album Channel Orange.

And, yes, the song alludes to the time a man broke his heart. A sample of his lyrics:

This unrequited love
To me it's nothing but
A one-man cult
And cyanide in my styrofoam cup
I could never make him love me
Never make him love me
Love
Love

It's a bad religion
To be in love with someone
Who could never love you
I know
Only bad religion
Could have me feeling the way I do

Watch Ocean bear his musical soul AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. Of all the celebrity coming-outs lately, I think this is the most significant. Hiphop music isn't the friendliest place if you're not macho. Best of luck to him.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 10, 2012 10:53:08 AM

2. Truly a revolutionary artists whose influence will ripple far beyond the superficial entertainment realm. Dude is brilliant.

Posted by: Javier | Jul 10, 2012 10:58:42 AM

3. AMAZING!!!!Glad to see so many people talking about how great his new album is.

Posted by: BEWILDERBEAST | Jul 10, 2012 10:59:11 AM

4. Wow. Fantastic.

Posted by: Tim Miller | Jul 10, 2012 10:59:40 AM

5. explicitly gay lyrics about love from a mainstream artist!!!

and live on national TV!

*swoons & faints*

Posted by: redball | Jul 10, 2012 11:02:15 AM

6. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Frank - wish him nothing but SUCCESS!!!

Posted by: mykos | Jul 10, 2012 11:07:00 AM

7. I fully expect to be mouthing the words to this song in my old age. A true phenom.

Posted by: thezerodegree | Jul 10, 2012 11:08:24 AM

8. Great song....it packs a punch.
    Congratulations Ocean !!!

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 10, 2012 11:19:43 AM

9. Don't just listen to his music, read his LYRICS. They are intricately woven masterpieces, full of nuance, turns of phrase and coded meanings. Moreover, Frank Ocean is willing to do something that no out LGBT artist has had the balls to do: sing unequivocally to his own gender with full-hearted emotion, male pronouns and all. That is absolutely historic.

Frank Ocean wrote the lyrics, the music AND executive produced his albums. I don't think you can overstate his talent; he's the most individually gifted r&b writer to show up since Prince and Stevie Wonder. I really don't think that's hyperbolic.

By all means, get songs from his "Nostalgia / Ultra" mixtape if you can, especially "Strawberry Swing," "Swim Good," and "Songs About Women," which has a gay-affirming lyric built right into its story. The first verse describes his time in high school, when he'd say that he was writing songs for women. The second verse, in present tense, says that he no longer says that anymore... and yet people don't believe him. The final phrases directly address the guy he's in love with: "These songs are for YOU, babe. These songs are for YOU." It's brilliant.

Tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW to buy this album. It's launched today at #1 on iTunes and we need to keep it there. Frank Ocean can change the world.

Posted by: GMB | Jul 10, 2012 11:20:12 AM

10. Dayum, I'm in love with this guy

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 10, 2012 11:24:48 AM

11. Whoa. That was a nice surprise... not at all what I expected.

He's enormously talented. I hope he goes far.

Posted by: endo | Jul 10, 2012 11:26:07 AM

12. Wow. Dude is not f'ing around. Truly Revolutionary. I am crushing hard.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 10, 2012 11:26:37 AM

13. If the rest of this album is this good, I'm there.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 10, 2012 11:28:07 AM

14. I hope people buy his album or the single to show support.

Posted by: Sarah | Jul 10, 2012 12:02:48 PM

15. Great job, Frank Love seeing that smile , he rarely smiles.

Posted by: Kim | Jul 10, 2012 12:15:14 PM

16. beautiful! congrats on your courage Frank, a true pioneer. much success!

Posted by: t | Jul 10, 2012 12:21:03 PM

17. Beautiful man. I ordered 3 copies of his album.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jul 10, 2012 12:31:52 PM

18. The cd was released a week early yesterday & I downloaded it right away (& paid for it too :) The music is like the man himself. It doesn't follow any rules & it's eclectic in a beautiful way. Sure to be in a lot of Best of 2012 lists. The fact that he's queer is a bonus.

Posted by: Scar2 | Jul 10, 2012 12:35:13 PM

19. Also, he's hot.

Posted by: tcw | Jul 10, 2012 12:53:06 PM

20. Whoa, unexpectedly fantastic. It will be interesting to see if this artist is embraced by the mainstream.

Posted by: dms | Jul 10, 2012 1:04:08 PM

21. Wow that was very moving.

It will be interesting to watch if he gets played on radio. The big radio corporations have a long history of staying away from openly gay men and especially songs with openly gay lyrics. Adam Lambert wanted to make his song that uses "he" as the object of desire in a song as a single and was told by radio they would not play it with that pronoun.

Hopefully with Jayz and friends backing him, Frank will have better luck.

Posted by: IAN F | Jul 10, 2012 1:10:30 PM

22. I didn't expect to hear music and lyrics like this out of hiphop again. Singing is pretty fantastic too. Amazing what a little emotion can bring to song when you're not trying to front like a stone faced you know what.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 10, 2012 1:26:49 PM

23. I didn't expect to hear music and lyrics like this out of hiphop again. Singing is pretty fantastic too. Amazing what a little emotion can bring to song when you're not trying to front like a stone faced you know what.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 10, 2012 1:26:55 PM

24. I didn't expect to hear music and lyrics like this out of hiphop again. Singing is pretty fantastic too. Amazing what a little emotion can bring to song when you're not trying to front like a stone faced you know what.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 10, 2012 1:27:07 PM

25. WOW....he's really good! Will explore more of his music after seeing that performance!!

It was also sweet that Jimmy Fallon seemed to be going out of his way to be really nice and welcoming to him...

Posted by: Greg | Jul 10, 2012 1:30:01 PM