Baseball | John Rocker | News

Homophobe John Rocker Resurfaces as Conservative Columnist, Offers Support for Gay Rights

Former MLB pitcher John Rocker shot into the headlines in 1999 with this statement:

RockerI'd retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing... The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?

Rocker later polished his anti-gay credentials by defending Ozzie Guillen's use of the word "fag" and slurring patrons at a restaurant in the gay Dallas neighborhood of Oak Lawn.

He's now a new columnist for Joseph Farah's wingnut conservative rag World Net Daily.

His topics thus far, according to Politico, which interviewed him:

Why immigrants should speak English. Why Big Government is dangerous. And whatever happened to personal responsibility?

He does, however, offer them a surprising answer when asked about gay marriage:

“Am I someone that thinks that I have the right to sit back and judge someone that I don’t know, will never meet, on how they should live their life or what rights they can have to live their life the way they want to? I don’t think I deserve that responsibility.”

(via outsports)

Comments

1. Well, I guess that's progress.

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 17, 2012 2:31:09 PM

2. What a Neanderthal!!

Posted by: Kranbree | Jul 17, 2012 2:37:54 PM

3. i'm reminded of a former classmate who wnted me to meet his family because they were "really cool with gay people" and he wanted me to see that not all southern republicans are bad people.

and yeah, his dad sure was cool with me being gay. and then he started talking about Mexicans and america's ongoing "black problem" and i thought "in what alternate dimension am i supposed to be impressed by this man?"

this guy is still a braindead scumbag and we're supposed to be impressed that he's able to somehow understand that his bigotries shouldn't infringe on the rights and freedoms of others?

wow. congrats. you're officially not as far behind as you were a day ago but still utterly losing the race. yay?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 17, 2012 2:39:30 PM

4. You'd think he'd say "someone who."

Posted by: ggggb | Jul 17, 2012 2:45:41 PM

5. Used to be seriously hot.

Posted by: Bingo | Jul 17, 2012 2:52:27 PM

6. He's still a bonehead.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 17, 2012 2:54:03 PM

7. I would think that anytime a conservative comes out for gay rights things are moving forward. I wonder what caused his change of mind. Has he been perusing Towleroad, maybe?

Posted by: Mary | Jul 17, 2012 2:54:14 PM

8. Thanks for the picture, I ran out of Ipecac Syrup.

Posted by: Johnson | Jul 17, 2012 2:56:50 PM

9. Something tells me... he's begining to see the light...of the glory hole. o.O

Posted by: Shwing Nuts | Jul 17, 2012 2:56:52 PM

10. Great example of how men in general are evolving and gradually beginning to shed their homophobia, the result of which will be an entirely new male culture that liberates all men from their dependence (social, emotional, and sexual) on women and that obliterates the "gay" culture of effeminacy at the same time.

The future cannot arrive soon enough.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2012 2:57:19 PM

11. @RICK:

If you are going to be a troll, at least be a troll that makes some sense.

Posted by: JOE | Jul 17, 2012 3:03:54 PM

12. KIWI SAID EVERYTHING ON MY MIND.

Posted by: redball | Jul 17, 2012 3:04:37 PM

13. Saddest part is that this man is a columnist/activist and that his opinion is sought after as if he's (and his views) somehow relevant.

Progress is progress, and he's made some baby steps in the right direction, however as usual, I cosign everything said by Kiwi 100%, Rocker is not deserving of any celebration.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 17, 2012 3:11:29 PM

14. Poor sad Rick. His hoped-for revolution will never come because the only men that think the way he does are so pathetically cowardly and closeted that they'll never stand up to be counted, and thus never change anything.

"effeminate men" aren't going anywhere, and the gay men that hate them are going to die in their own closets, and wont' be missed.

But yeah, what a great example of a piece-of-s**t racist evolving from hating everyone that isn't like him to simply hating brown people. YAY PROGRESS?

LMFAO!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 17, 2012 3:12:15 PM

15. When Rocker made his stupid statement in '99,I was a well known Cubs Fan and outed myself via a National Sportsing News paper. I brought to the attention of Cubs Fans, that the team was getting ready to host 2,000 gay fans at the Cubs Out @ the Ballpark game. I recommended to Commissioner Bud Selig, that any fine being paid by Rocker go to various Gay Community Centers.

The fact is... he is still a bigot and give him time to put his spikes in his mouth. Also look at his sponsors, and I'll doubt that any would be gay friendly.

Posted by: jerry Pritikin | Jul 17, 2012 3:15:44 PM

16. I love LittleKiwi! I really do!

Posted by: InParadise | Jul 17, 2012 3:16:10 PM

17. fun fact - all of the pro-Equality straight men I know have no problem whatsoever with gay males who might be considered "femme" by Society's Low Thinkers.

It's a reality that only braindead conservative suckups and GOProud style wimps hold onto baseless prejudices like that.

What will this story do? I dunno. Inspire more gay white conservatives to hate on foreigners in hopes of winning the approval of an unintelligent meathead?

Aim higher. It's not terribly impressive to boast about being the smartest kid in special ed.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 17, 2012 3:16:26 PM

18. Rocker is a conservative, and I'm willing to coexist with him in a free society. There, I held my nose and said it. I hope he's willing to do the same for me.

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 17, 2012 3:22:20 PM

19. Rick, for crying out loud we get it! You only like "straight acting" guys. Save it for your personal ad, we're getting tired of hearing about it already!

Speaking of evolving, when are you going to evolve and realize not everyone is the stereotype queen you think they are? Quite frankly, who cares if they are.

Signed,

Straight acting butch Matt

Posted by: MATT | Jul 17, 2012 3:29:50 PM

20. Well, Matt, I'll have you know that if it weren't for those diva-worshipping limp wristed effeminate queens making us gay men look like we wish we were women my father wouldn't have forced me to dress up in blackface drag when I performed oral sex on him.

All I wanted was to be able to blow him while dressed like the masculine guy that I was, but he thought that since I was gay I wanted to be a woman so I never got to do it out of drag, and I'm upset about that because it ruined the experiences for me.

So I don't need to evolve. All those diva-worshipping sissies need to evolve because it's because of stereotypical queens like them that my lovely incestuous relationship with my father was ruined by me having to wear a flowing blonde wig and pink panties.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2012 3:37:15 PM

21. @Joe If what I say does not make sense to you, that is only because you are imprisoned by the paradigms of the past, which are gradually melting away. The "gay" culture of effeminacy is the consequence of the oppression of centuries, just as the "straight" male culture of emotional devotion to women and alienation/distance from other men was a consequence....and the principle cause.....of homophobia....rooted in the Age of Chivalry and the Dark Ages that preceded it....and indeed became the definition of masculinity.

The modern age has brought us the wonders of behavioral science, which have allowed us to discard the notion that sexual attraction between men is anything but natural.......and not at all incompatible with masculinity.....and feminism has, ironically, demonstrated to men the folly of the dependence on women that a homophobic male culture carries with it.

So whether you recognize it or not, there is a revolution underway that will eventually completely obliterate all the old paradigms and cultural constructs and in place of that we will see the emergence of a truly natural man, freed of both the artificial effeminacy that "gay" culture represents and the artificial homophobia and emotional devotedness to women that "straight" culture has represented.

And life will be so much better for us all as a consequence, although you will still have a few old scragglers on both sides trying to cling to the outmoded notions of the past....over the long run, however, both the effeminate gay man and the homophobic straight man will essentially become relics....and gradually will become totally extinc altogether.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2012 3:38:56 PM

22. Needless to say, the post beginning with "Well, Matt...." is from Little Kiwi, acting as an impostor, who is doubtless going to be one of those scragglers I just referred to, wallowing around in the culture of effeminacy as the world leaves them behind. Sad, tragic people, indeed.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2012 3:42:12 PM

23. Rick, you are quite bizarre!

Posted by: pierre | Jul 17, 2012 3:46:07 PM

24. I like to pretend that the femme guys are the ones leading closeted anonymous lives because the reality that I don't have the balls to live openly makes me feel emasculated.

You'll notice that all the gay men like me can't ever put a face to who we are. It's because not only are we not actually masculine, we're terrified of people knowing that we're gay.

Don't worry, you'll never meet us in gay bars, or clubs or public settings, as we only ever come online to say things anonymously.

This is all we have in our lives.

p.s. The best part about having sex with my dad were the beatings.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 17, 2012 3:47:19 PM

25. LittleKiwi,
    Thanks for the laugh-Aim higher comment was classic!
    When athletes and jocks become sources of intelligent discussion you know the worlds f'd up. Romneys running for President of the US-enough said. Has anybody seen the Dogsagainstmittromney web site? lol

Posted by: SFshawn | Jul 17, 2012 3:49:46 PM