Homophobe John Rocker Resurfaces as Conservative Columnist, Offers Support for Gay Rights

Former MLB pitcher John Rocker shot into the headlines in 1999 with this statement:

RockerI'd retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing… The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?

Rocker later polished his anti-gay credentials by defending Ozzie Guillen's use of the word "fag" and slurring patrons at a restaurant in the gay Dallas neighborhood of Oak Lawn.

He's now a new columnist for Joseph Farah's wingnut conservative rag World Net Daily.

His topics thus far, according to Politico, which interviewed him:

Why immigrants should speak English. Why Big Government is dangerous. And whatever happened to personal responsibility?

He does, however, offer them a surprising answer when asked about gay marriage:

“Am I someone that thinks that I have the right to sit back and judge someone that I don’t know, will never meet, on how they should live their life or what rights they can have to live their life the way they want to? I don’t think I deserve that responsibility.”

(via outsports)

Comments

1. says

i’m reminded of a former classmate who wnted me to meet his family because they were “really cool with gay people” and he wanted me to see that not all southern republicans are bad people.

and yeah, his dad sure was cool with me being gay. and then he started talking about Mexicans and america’s ongoing “black problem” and i thought “in what alternate dimension am i supposed to be impressed by this man?”

this guy is still a braindead scumbag and we’re supposed to be impressed that he’s able to somehow understand that his bigotries shouldn’t infringe on the rights and freedoms of others?

wow. congrats. you’re officially not as far behind as you were a day ago but still utterly losing the race. yay?

2. Mary says

I would think that anytime a conservative comes out for gay rights things are moving forward. I wonder what caused his change of mind. Has he been perusing Towleroad, maybe?

3. Rick says

Great example of how men in general are evolving and gradually beginning to shed their homophobia, the result of which will be an entirely new male culture that liberates all men from their dependence (social, emotional, and sexual) on women and that obliterates the “gay” culture of effeminacy at the same time.

The future cannot arrive soon enough.

4. Francis says

Saddest part is that this man is a columnist/activist and that his opinion is sought after as if he’s (and his views) somehow relevant.

Progress is progress, and he’s made some baby steps in the right direction, however as usual, I cosign everything said by Kiwi 100%, Rocker is not deserving of any celebration.

5. says

Poor sad Rick. His hoped-for revolution will never come because the only men that think the way he does are so pathetically cowardly and closeted that they’ll never stand up to be counted, and thus never change anything.

“effeminate men” aren’t going anywhere, and the gay men that hate them are going to die in their own closets, and wont’ be missed.

But yeah, what a great example of a piece-of-s**t racist evolving from hating everyone that isn’t like him to simply hating brown people. YAY PROGRESS?

LMFAO!

6. says

When Rocker made his stupid statement in ’99,I was a well known Cubs Fan and outed myself via a National Sportsing News paper. I brought to the attention of Cubs Fans, that the team was getting ready to host 2,000 gay fans at the Cubs Out @ the Ballpark game. I recommended to Commissioner Bud Selig, that any fine being paid by Rocker go to various Gay Community Centers.

The fact is… he is still a bigot and give him time to put his spikes in his mouth. Also look at his sponsors, and I’ll doubt that any would be gay friendly.

7. says

fun fact – all of the pro-Equality straight men I know have no problem whatsoever with gay males who might be considered “femme” by Society’s Low Thinkers.

It’s a reality that only braindead conservative suckups and GOProud style wimps hold onto baseless prejudices like that.

What will this story do? I dunno. Inspire more gay white conservatives to hate on foreigners in hopes of winning the approval of an unintelligent meathead?

Aim higher. It’s not terribly impressive to boast about being the smartest kid in special ed.

8. Yeek says

Rocker is a conservative, and I’m willing to coexist with him in a free society. There, I held my nose and said it. I hope he’s willing to do the same for me.

9. MATT says

Rick, for crying out loud we get it! You only like “straight acting” guys. Save it for your personal ad, we’re getting tired of hearing about it already!

Speaking of evolving, when are you going to evolve and realize not everyone is the stereotype queen you think they are? Quite frankly, who cares if they are.

Signed,

Straight acting butch Matt

10. Rick says

Well, Matt, I’ll have you know that if it weren’t for those diva-worshipping limp wristed effeminate queens making us gay men look like we wish we were women my father wouldn’t have forced me to dress up in blackface drag when I performed oral sex on him.

All I wanted was to be able to blow him while dressed like the masculine guy that I was, but he thought that since I was gay I wanted to be a woman so I never got to do it out of drag, and I’m upset about that because it ruined the experiences for me.

So I don’t need to evolve. All those diva-worshipping sissies need to evolve because it’s because of stereotypical queens like them that my lovely incestuous relationship with my father was ruined by me having to wear a flowing blonde wig and pink panties.

11. Rick says

@Joe If what I say does not make sense to you, that is only because you are imprisoned by the paradigms of the past, which are gradually melting away. The “gay” culture of effeminacy is the consequence of the oppression of centuries, just as the “straight” male culture of emotional devotion to women and alienation/distance from other men was a consequence….and the principle cause…..of homophobia….rooted in the Age of Chivalry and the Dark Ages that preceded it….and indeed became the definition of masculinity.

The modern age has brought us the wonders of behavioral science, which have allowed us to discard the notion that sexual attraction between men is anything but natural…….and not at all incompatible with masculinity…..and feminism has, ironically, demonstrated to men the folly of the dependence on women that a homophobic male culture carries with it.

So whether you recognize it or not, there is a revolution underway that will eventually completely obliterate all the old paradigms and cultural constructs and in place of that we will see the emergence of a truly natural man, freed of both the artificial effeminacy that “gay” culture represents and the artificial homophobia and emotional devotedness to women that “straight” culture has represented.

And life will be so much better for us all as a consequence, although you will still have a few old scragglers on both sides trying to cling to the outmoded notions of the past….over the long run, however, both the effeminate gay man and the homophobic straight man will essentially become relics….and gradually will become totally extinc altogether.

12. Rick says

Needless to say, the post beginning with “Well, Matt….” is from Little Kiwi, acting as an impostor, who is doubtless going to be one of those scragglers I just referred to, wallowing around in the culture of effeminacy as the world leaves them behind. Sad, tragic people, indeed.

13. Rick says

I like to pretend that the femme guys are the ones leading closeted anonymous lives because the reality that I don’t have the balls to live openly makes me feel emasculated.

You’ll notice that all the gay men like me can’t ever put a face to who we are. It’s because not only are we not actually masculine, we’re terrified of people knowing that we’re gay.

Don’t worry, you’ll never meet us in gay bars, or clubs or public settings, as we only ever come online to say things anonymously.

This is all we have in our lives.

p.s. The best part about having sex with my dad were the beatings.

14. SFshawn says

LittleKiwi,
    Thanks for the laugh-Aim higher comment was classic!
    When athletes and jocks become sources of intelligent discussion you know the worlds f’d up. Romneys running for President of the US-enough said. Has anybody seen the Dogsagainstmittromney web site? lol

15. Rick says

It’s masculine manly men like me who are changing the world because we come online and say things and then don’t tell people in the real world that we’re gay.

Look at me, I’m changing the world!

Also, I enjoy the smell of my own farts, and that’s a good thing because I have uncontrollable flatulence.

16. Laura says

It’s absurd that Rocker states that he doesn’t deserve the responsibility for judging gays private lives but he feels perfectly justified in judging whether someone he’s never going to meet learns to speak english or not.

Rick, Honestly, is there any topic that you won’t turn into a rant about women or effeminate men? Your obsession with both of these groups borders on the pathological.

17. Rick says

LOL. I can’t believe you idiots queens can’t tell the real me from the losers pretending to be me, and I do resent the mockery of my father and I’s relationship. He was the greatest lay I ever had, I only wish he’d felt the same way for me.

I hate feminists and I hate women. My mother never shared my father’s cock with me and it was incredibly selfish of her. The only thing she was good for was stocking up on jumbo tampons, which I still use to this day to soak my anal leakage.

At some point you stereotypical leftists extremists need to realize that the gay men who are making the most impact are the people like me. The guys who come online to anonymously complain about blacks, effeminates, leftists, feminists, women, Lady Gaga and other things and then pretend to be straight in our day to day lives.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to drinking a cup of poison and hoping that somehow it kills everyone else.

18. MATT says

To the real RICK: We also get that you fancy yourself an acedemic. You aren’t. Just because you use big words and think you are highly educated and you know how things are evolving, you are and always will be just an ignorant blowhard.

Please for our sakes, get a life.

19. anon says

Rocker’s lame attempt to avoid getting traded really backfired. He doesn’t seem to have changed much. Why does WND need another columnist?? They all speak the same talking points anyway. As far as I can see, they only need one columnist.

20. Rick says

“When athletes and jocks become sources of intelligent discussion you know the worlds f’d up”

A prime example of one of the defining features of the culture of effeminacy referred to above–bitter hatred of men and all things masculine (accompanied, hilariously, by a desperate lust for those same men and the masculinity they represent)

21. Tyler says

If you’re so masculine, Rick, and such a perfect example of a gay man how come you’ve never showed yourself the way your detractors have asked?

It seems that if you were even half of what you say you are you’d be doing a lot more than complaining about effeminacy from, as others have put it, the anonymity of a gay themed website.

22. MATT says

RICK are you saying gay men hate all men and all things nasculine?? Give me a freakin break. That’s ironic coming from a guy who goes on and on about women and effeminacy. Seriously, step away from your computer and come out from underneath the bridge you live under and see how people live in the real world.

23. Shannon says

WHITE PEOPLE SEEM TO FORGET———–THEY——– ARE THE TRUE FOREIGNERS ON THIS SOIL! THIS DID NOT BELONG TO THEM AT ALL!!! WHEN ARRIVED HERE AND MURDERED AND RAPED EVERYONE…….THERE WERE THREE RACES LIVING IN HARMONY HERE……MEXICANS…….AMERI-INDIANS……… AND BLACK PEOPLE!! YES…..BLACK PEOPLE WHERE HERE LOOOONG BEFORE WHITES!!! THEY STOLE A Land DTHAT DID NOT BELONG TO THEM! SO THIS A-HOLE CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!

24. St. Theresa of Avila says

My thinking is he’s beginning to realize, like everyone else who’s remotely sane, that the worst homophobes are the ones who are hiding something. He doesn’t want his past statements to seem to reflect that.

25. Rick says

“RICK are you saying gay men hate all men and all things nasculine??”

The ones who ascribe to the culture of effeminacy do–their hatred of men and masculine activities like sports goes hand-in-hand with their idolization of women (the “diva” phenomenon”), particularly women who, like them, hate men, themselves (i.e. radical feminists)…..not surprisingly, Madonna, who uses men, objectifies them, and discards them (because she hates men and is therefore incapable of the kind of love and respect for a man that a lasting relationship would entail)….is their Queen of Queens

All the pieces fit together…..

26. St. Theresa of Avila says

Wow, this one was destined to be prime Rick-nip. (like catnip, yous sees)

“A prime example of one of the defining features of the culture of effeminacy…blah blah blah”

you’re both comically wrong. There’s nothing particularly intelligent about his column. I guess it’s an improvement over being against gay marriage, but his stab at reasoning isn’t particularly persuasive.

And…Rick…guess what, athletes and jocks didn’t get where they are by being intellectuals! Sheesh! How obvious is that? Can anybody name a former pro player of anything who has a current affairs column in any legitimate publication? (i.e., not World Nut Daily) And it’s got NOTHING to do with gender. There was a girl at my high school who was one of the best field hockey players in the country, she only had a 3.7 but it was good enough to get her into Harvard. Guess what, she wasn’t recruited for her intellect.

27. Derrick from Philly says

“So whether you recognize it or not, there is a revolution underway that will eventually completely obliterate all the old paradigms and cultural constructs and in place of that we will see the emergence of a truly natural man”

Where have you been? We’ve already had the emergence of a truly natural man: Chaz Bono.

You missed it, Rick.

28. Drew2 says

Besides his original anti-gay statement, I can’t really say I disagree with him.

The subway in NYC is nasty and not fun, especially because of the ‘urban’ people. You all know what I’m talking about, but are afraid to publicly agree because it’s not PC.

29. truthteller says

Can you please ignore the attention-whore who steals the thread for personal satisfaction. Ignore him and he will banish like a roach at the first sign of light.

Now, as far as this Rocker-moron goes; He’s another attention-whore who makes his living off of hatred.

He has seen that the homophobic demographic has shrunk due to the fact that more GLBT people have come out and friends, neighbors, coworkers and relatives have realized that we are not a threat to them.

Being homophobic has lost it’s emotional charge and value to him so he’s adjusted his position. But racism, well, that will keep feeding his family for another 15 minutes or so.

30. DannyEastVillage says

yup. Both Rick and this swine is every bit as revolting as we previously thought. And poor Rick–he’s doomed to die a self-hating gay man, I suppose. he hates the feminine even more than straight men to. And that’s saying quite a lot. just pathetic. he reminds me of the caricature gay man played by John Belushi in SNL skits in the 80s where everything was “manly this” and “manly that.” Wonder how it feels to Rick to be a caricature of a caricature.

31. Joseph Mclaine says

Wow. Rick. Really? What is your problem? Sexuality and gender expression comes in a whole range of flavors. I appreciate all of my LGBT family. It seems you are worried about how an “effeminate” gay man will reflect upon you, when you really should be worried about how you reflect upon the rest of the LGBT family.

32. Daniel Berry, NYC says

Rick is a sick’un who’s doomed to live in perpetual misery in a world that doesn’t march in lock-step to his retrograde, hyper-masculine fantasies about himself. He reminds me of the homophobe who preaches and votes against gay people and gets arrested in the park or rest area at night. The more he blathers about “effeminacy” the more he reveals about his own fear and discomfort with himself.

33. andrew says

I don’t know what Rocker said about the topics listed. As a lifelong progressive/democrat, I know that there are many reasons immigrants should learn to speak English, not the least of which is economic success. Yep, big government can indeed be dangerous so can small weak government. The trick is to find the right balance. As to personal responsibility, conservatives don’t have a lock on that virtue either.

34. andrew says

35. ratbastard says

Little Canadian,

You are so full of sh*t. Stop being such a moron.

========================

Rocker’s GF was a black woman, even at the ti me he made that comment, so I doubt he’s as evil as some suggest. What he is, is a white guy, and of course ‘progressives’ consider white MASCULINE males [especially the southern variety] enemy #1. Everybody needs somebody to hate in order to rally the core true believers. I suspect this is John Rockers #1 problem with many ‘progressives’.

And what Rocker said about the subway ride has a ring of truth to it. Anybody who rides the subway, some lines more-so than others, knows what I’m It can become a talking about. It can become a freak show or turn into something like a ride on a UN refugee bus. I’m not mocking ‘poor’ people or ‘people of color’ with that comment. I don’t disrespect or hate people most of whom are decent hard working people, I’m just stating the obvious, which many people of every ‘color’, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc., think but are cowered into not expressing due to the fear political correctness has in our society.

36. Beau Butler says

Question: What was Rocker doing in a gay part of Dallas and why would he pick a “Gay” restaurant to eat in? Oh, I know, he thought “gay” meant happy and fun!

37. says

I like riding the NYC subway for the reasons this piece of s**t bigot hates it. Diversity. All them weird folks, and we’re all together – we ride the same subway. we go the same way. we are NYC. 😀

of course, to the bigots of this country that’s an upsetting thought. you know, “coloured people” and gays riding the same trains, single mothers next to some evil person with EVIL PURPLE HAIR. OOhhhhh the freeeeeaaaks.

yeah, to a racist lame white person who still wishes they were ruling Tara that’s gotta be an awful idea. alas, for those of us who aren’t wastes of flesh it’s just another day in one of the greatest cities in the world.

p.s. ratbastard, how’s your fake dead dad doing? still fake dead from being murdered by a group of fake black people? great!