Kirk Cameron Rejects Request to Meet with Bullied LGBT Teens

Kirk Cameron's spokesman Mark Craig replied to a request from the Youth Caucus at Garden State Equality asking Cameron to sit down with them after his visit to Ocean Grove, NJ where he'll discuss the Bible's stance against gay marriage.

CameronWrote Craig to GSE's Corey Bernstein:

I would normally just write a simple reply, "Thanks for your invitation, however Kirk's schedule will not permit," but because you have taken some time to share some of your feelings, Kirk asked me to personally thank you on his behalf for your kind invitation and is very sorry he can not attend because of the schedule that weekend. I also want to thank you for taking the time to write and share your heart in your letter.

For this reason, I want to share this thought with you, from someone who sees and works with Kirk almost everyday of the year – I promise you his goal is not one of trying to hurt people in any way, in fact it is just the opposite. He has a concern for their well being – not only now, but eternally. He goes out to share a positive message through events like this weekend and I assure you he will only be presenting a positive/ inspiring message.

I would like to suggest if you really are interested in Kirk's thoughts on the matter, you can listen online to the interviews and comments Kirk has shared where he was given ample time to communicate his heart and thoughts. I hope you can attend the event and see for yourself.

Comments

1. Mike says

“I just want to say that he doesn’t want to hurt anyone. He just thinks you’re evil and you are going to burn in hell for all eternity. He just can’t be bothered listening to your side of the story, but you are free to listen to him on the radio where his views will be expressed in an entirely one-sided fashion.”

2. Jeff says

Haha… It’s really funny that this doppy has-been actor is getting so much free publicity out of this. I mean really – who cares what he thinks? About anything?
    He has the intellect of a dust mite.

3. Bill S. says

I don’t care what the Bible has to say about anything and I want to follow any rule in the Bible for the sole reason that it’s in the Bible…and part of living in the United States means that I shouldn’t have to either.

4. Mary says

Cameron made a mistake by turning down this request. There was no reason why he couldn’t show sympathy for those who’ve been victimized. A person can be against SSM and still be a strong advocate for anti-bullying policies. Kirk had a chance to show the conservative side in a good light. Why didn’t he take it?

5. nick says

Mike Seaver is busy hobnobbing with Paul and Jan Crouch, Pat Robertson, AFA, NOM and other inclusive individuals. He will talk to anyone who believes the same way he does or he could arrange a private meeting in Griffith Park- behind the last bush on the left.

6. says

I’m guessing his contract with NOM explicitly states he cannot talk to anybody without their approval. Or, he just hates gay people because he hates himself so much.

7. Pdxblueyes says

If it was THAT important, the note should have come from Kirk and his heart, personally. Not thru some paid mouthpiece. And what a crass attempt to sell a few more tickets to his nomohomo town hall…

8. Jack M says

Kirk obviously doesn’t have the brains to get in any kind of debate or discussion and hold his own. He’s only good for preaching to the choir (no pun intended).

9. Michael says

Time after time after time those who want to profess their objections to homosexuality are rooted in the morality seemingly have no problem in lying nor baring false witness against their neighbor.

Due to his schedule? What schedule? He’s a washed-up has-been.

10. bobbyjoe says

They should send back a message that they’re perfectly open to meeting whenever and wherever Mr. Cameron’s schedule is clear. Kirk can’t be busy 24/7 365 days a year.

Make ’em admit that this isn’t about Cameron’s schedule, it’s just that Kirk’s a great big bigoted chicken who knows his arguments and behavior fall apart under the slightest bit of genuine public scrutiny.

11. Jeff says

Eh if they dont want to meet with Kirk Cameron why dont they try other has been whack jobs like Patricia Heaton or Victoria Jackson none of them have full calendars either.

12. Josh says

People have been abused for reasons he has explained. He would have to be masochist to walk into that set up. And Kurt might prove to be some gay teens dream.

13. Brad says

“you can listen online to the interviews and comments Kirk has shared where he was given ample time to communicate his heart and thoughts.”

In other words he can do all the talking but doesn’t want to listen to any other viewpoint. Kirk Cameron is an A-1, lilly-livered, yellow, coward. He doesn’t have any concern for anyone but himself and his Christianist views. The Youth Caucus at Garden State Equality are probably much more polite than I would ever be in responding to Kirk’s phony “concern”. I’d have a few colorful words for him!

14. Nedra says

Kirk Cameron is a SODOMITE and that is what sodomites do – HURT PEOPLE MERCILESSLY – That is why God destroyed Sodom, duh! If you don’t believe me read Ezekiel 16:48-50. It is full time gays begin to call out these homophobes for who they really are – Sodomites!!!

15. RachelB says

I wish Kirk Cameron a long life of complete obscurity, in which no one will ask for his opinion on anything. I suspect that would be hell on earth for him.

16. Mark says

Well ain’t he just the cutest, and sweetest, little god-diggin, money whore you did ever see?!?! Can he talk or what!?!

He can’t make it in Hollywood – so now he turns to “christianity” to make a living. Acting vs yaking….or maybe he really is still acting….

17. says

For this man without a career, maybe Huckabee and Santorum will support him. I wonder if he’s afraid gay is catching or if he’s afraid the world will realize he’s as dumb as a box of hammers who can’t support his stand.

18. Erick says

Kirk Cameron is a great man, with morals and virtue. I hope he continues his work and eventually ventures into politics. I’d vote for him. The country needs some stability and morality interjected into it, because the way things are going now is completely amoral.

19. DeeperStill says

@MARY

“Kirk had a chance to show the conservative side in a good light. Why didn’t he take it?”

Perhaps because there IS no “good light” there, DUH!

20. jamal49 says

Coward. You attack us with your hateful, ignorant, bigoted, prejudiced comments, Kirk, and you don’t have the balls to discuss your nonsense with people who might actually be able to challenge you and show you how utterly wrong you are.

What a wuss.

21. EJ says

When you’re a washed up unsuccessful actor what do you do with your time. Devote it to a truly dumb cause, hate does have it’s rewards I’m sure,

22. Lee says

“I promise you his goal is not one of trying to hurt people in any way, but rather of trying to figure out a way to ignore the inconvenient parts of the Bible — like the part that says, ‘Judge not, that ye be not judged’ — without enabling people to call him a faux-pious hypocrite. Still working on that one. So that’s why he can’t squeeze you into his schedule. Um, yeah. And please don’t call it cherrypicking, ‘cuz that’s not what it is at all. Really.”

— Mark Craig, Kirk Cameron spokesman