Music | News | Pet Shop Boys

Listen To 'Winner,' The New Pet Shop Boys Single: AUDIO

PetshopwinnerPet Shop Boys' forthcoming album Elysium doesn't hit shelves until this September, but the gents decided to do us a summer solid by releasing a single, "Winner." I've included the track AFTER THE JUMP.

Arjan has to say about "Winner":

Fitting right in with Britain's Olympic spirit, "Winner" is wonderfully joyful tune that perfectly showcases Pet Shop Boys' refreshed state of mind. Whether you're competing, in love or simply trying to make it through another day, the song carries a universal meaning and conveys that everyone who perseveres against the odds, loves and lives in the moment is a true winner. And even when life is getting you down, Neil Tennant comforts and reminds listeners that "in desperation you get inspiration," which captures the overarching sentiment of the song.

"Winner" will be available for download tomorrow. Give it a listen AFTER THE JUMP. I've just started it and am already pretty into it. Hopefully you will be too, you winner, you.

Comments

1. A smorgasbord of cliches. Who wrote the lyrics, Madonna?

Posted by: lodenmuse | Jul 2, 2012 12:15:01 PM

2. My reaction is .... oops, I almost fell asleep. And the obvious sucking up to the olympic broadcast hoping for airtime, seems a bit desperate to me. And I've always been a big fan ....

Posted by: BillinSonoma | Jul 2, 2012 12:24:16 PM

3. I have to agree with Bill. I can already see the entire end-of-Olympics montage cut to this song: Michael Phelps hitting the wall, Usain Bolt waving the Jamaican flag, etc. etc. etc.

Posted by: don | Jul 2, 2012 12:40:57 PM

4. Ah, superb as always. I can't wait for the new album now.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 2, 2012 12:41:52 PM

5. You cynical bastards. Geez.

Posted by: james | Jul 2, 2012 12:45:35 PM

6. Betcha a dollar we see this playing over gay wedding videos real soon.

Posted by: Reidsb | Jul 2, 2012 1:26:50 PM

7. What have we done to deserve this?

I prefer Shakira, et al.'s "Waka Waka".

And y'all know I'm not a cynic, but I just kept waiting for "Winner" to actually go somewhere.

Posted by: David R. | Jul 2, 2012 1:28:48 PM

8. ZZZZZzzzzz Am I the only one who fell asleep listening to that one? ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz It certainly would have helped to be a little bit more up tempo. :))

Posted by: djb | Jul 2, 2012 1:42:48 PM

9. Wow, such desperate pandering for airplay? The lyrics are corny! As if written by an optimistic third grader. And the music is way to languid to convey the central idea of the song--almost as if it is being sung ironically. Irony would have been a much more interesting and fitting pov for the PSB. Too bad. Given that it's so unconvincing in any direction, I doubt that this will get much attention.

Posted by: dms | Jul 2, 2012 1:51:14 PM

10. The first part is sort of awful, but it gets decent. Maybe some commenters should avoid being so critical. It's really not fun or clever. You don't like it? No one cares.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 2, 2012 1:56:08 PM

11. Not exactly uplifting ...

Posted by: Guy | Jul 2, 2012 2:27:38 PM

12. @Paul R - umm, news flash...people are entitled to their opinion. Even ones that aren't the same as yours. Get over it - and get over yourself.

Posted by: hashfag | Jul 2, 2012 2:45:10 PM

13. I love the Pet Shop Boys and this is ... just okay. Could use some caffeine (aka, better production) at the beginning, but the melody is pretty and will translate well into remixes.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 2, 2012 2:57:51 PM

14. It's appropriate that one of them is yawning in the photo above (yes, I know it's an old photo) because this song is kind of a bore.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 2, 2012 3:31:59 PM

15. the Pet Shop Boys...have failed to evolve.

This could be anything they recorded 20 years ago...and we would have called it boring then.

Posted by: QJ201 | Jul 2, 2012 3:37:52 PM

16. I've enjoyed much of the PSB's earlier works, up to around the late 90's. I especially liked some of their B-sides and less-known songs, such as "Hey, Headmaster," "The Boy Who Couldn't Keep His Clothes On," and "Hit and Miss." (You know you're a PSB fan if you've heard of these.) And of course, I enjoyed their bigger hits as well.

But this is just...insipid. Completely devoid of impact. It doesn't even make a good dance tune. This song was actually upsetting to listen to, because it just seems like they've stooped to new lows.

To quote from one of their own songs: "We're shameless / we will do anything / to get our 15 minutes of fame / we have no integrity / we're ready to crawl / to obtain celebrity / we'll do anything at all."

Posted by: atomic | Jul 2, 2012 4:12:09 PM

17. Wow, thanks HashFag. I had no idea that people are entitled to their opinions. I'm just sick of reading whiny comments on every board's comments section from people, like you, who spend all their time whining.

Great screen name, by the way. Makes a whole lot of sense. Except that it doesn't.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 2, 2012 6:16:23 PM

18. @ Paul R - so, by that logic, disagreeing with you = whining?

Sounds like you've pioneered the field of whining. And obviously you have no valid argument of your own, hence why in desperation you dissed my screen name because you obviously have nothing else useful to say.

Again, get over yourself.

Posted by: hashfag | Jul 2, 2012 8:07:30 PM

19. An ok track -well produced but sounding a bit old

Posted by: Lee Foster | Jul 3, 2012 12:41:42 AM

20. Sorry, but this sounds so contrived and so unlike the Pet Shop Boys that were so amazing! Almost sounds as if it's been phoned in versus actually recorded in a studio..Maybe it'll make it to 'Glee' for an episode grand finale production number..

Posted by: RobS | Jul 3, 2012 12:58:20 AM

21. I ALWAYS loved them. 2009's "YES" was awesome. But this, oh Tutatis! Deeply disappointed with this song. They just sound like... two old guys...old for real...

Posted by: ElCid | Jul 3, 2012 1:02:46 AM

22. oh dear

Posted by: mrpaulsmall | Jul 3, 2012 11:15:46 AM

23. Its desperate and pathetic. Also gratuitious and I am shocked and devastated by their lack of taste. Not what I expected at all from a badn who's taste-ometer is usually so good..... Game over

Posted by: Mark Nolan | Jul 7, 2012 9:50:10 AM