Mike Huckabee Announces ‘Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day’ in Response to ‘Intolerant Bigotry from the Left’

Mike Huckabee is defending Chick-Fil-A's anti-gay policies in a Facebook post in which he announces Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day on August 1.

HuckabeeWrites Huckabee:

I have been incensed at the vitriolic assaults on the Chick Fil-A company because the CEO, Dan Cathy, made comments recently in which he affirmed his view that the Biblical view of marriage should be upheld. The Cathy family, let by Chick Fil-A founder Truett Cathy, are a wonderful Christian family who are committed to operating the company with Biblical principles and whose story is the true American success story. Starting at age 46 Truett Cathy built Chick Fil-A into a $4 billion a year enterprise with over 1600 stores. At 91, he is still active in the company, but his son Dan runs it day to day as CEO.It's a great American story that is being smeared by vicious hate speech and intolerant bigotry from the left.

The Chick Fil-A company refuses to open on Sundays so that their employees can go to church if they wish. Despite the pressure from malls, airports, and the business world to open on Sundays, they still don't. They treat customers and employees with respect and dignity.

I ask you to join me in speaking out on Wednesday, August 1 "Chick Fil-A Appreciation Day.” No one is being asked to make signs, speeches, or openly demonstrate. The goal is simple: Let's affirm a business that operates on Christian principles and whose executives are willing to take a stand for the Godly values we espouse by simply showing up and eating at Chick Fil-A on Wednesday, August 1. Too often, those on the left make corporate statements to show support for same sex marriage, abortion, or profanity, but if Christians affirm traditional values, we're considered homophobic, fundamentalists, hate-mongers, and intolerant. This effort is not being launched by the Chick Fil-A company and no one from the company or family is involved in proposing or promoting it.

There's no need for anyone to be angry or engage in a verbal battle. Simply affirm appreciation for a company run by Christian principles by showing up on Wednesday, August 1 or by participating online – tweeting your support or sending a message on Facebook.

You may have missed…
Muppets Cut Ties with Chick-Fil-A [tlrd]
Chick-Fil-A Does Damage Control [tlrd]
'Hangover' And 'Office' Star Ed Helms Off Anti-Gay Chick-Fil-A [tlrd]
Chick-Fil-A President Says We're 'Inviting God's Judgment' Letting Gays Marry: AUDIO [tlrd]
Make Your Very Own 'Chick-Fil-Gay' Sandwich! — VIDEO [tlrd]
Chick-Fil-A Chief Dan Cathy Says Company is 'Guilty as Charged' of Anti-Gay Activities [tlrd]

Comments

1. says

he later went on to celebrate the Boy Scouts of America by encouraging more people to do what his own (straight) son did – which is to torture and kill a stray dog.

because that’s what being a Huckabee is all about.

2. HadenoughBS says

Huckabee, Cathy and thousands of similar believers on the religious right have no idea what “intolerant bigotry” truly means. They’re deaf and blind about this concept unless they deem it in their Biblical self-interest. Not surprising but a hint of what’s to come under an intolerant bigoted Romney administration with Mormon overtones.

3. The Milkman says

But it’s NOT just a company run on Christian principles. It’s a company that provides significant monetary and in-kind support to political initiatives designed to ensure that gay people remain second-class citizens. Not the same thing at all, Huckabee. And you can stuff it with all that whining “bigotry from the left” crap. We all know bigotry when we see it. And we see it. All over you. Reflexively repeating “I know you are, but what am I” isn’t going to do anything to change that.

4. Tarc says

Good for Huckabee… the insane guy can get food poisoning like all the other Chik-Fil-A customers. Gross food, gross morals, gross management, gross promoters. And I have to ask, does that ‘reverse-anything-that-makes-sense-to-push-an-agenda-no-matter-how-stupid-it-is’ conservative streategy still work? I think not.

5. john patrick says

Mister Huckabee, you are “considered homophobic, fundamentalists, hate-mongers, and intolerant” not just because of what you believe, but because you fund and vote for policies that would restrict the rights of those of us who are your LGBT fellow citizens. It is not “vicious hate speech and intolerant bigotry from the left” to point that out and to oppose the intolerance from people you call “a wonderful Christian family who are committed to operating the company with Biblical principles.” If they are such a “wonderful Christian family,” why are they judging us based on principles never espoused by Jesus himself? By the way, does not the Biblical view of marriage include polygamy?

We are standing up for ourselves because we value ourselves and realize our worth as citizens and human beings. We do not accept the judgment of your religious beliefs. And we do not refrain from calling your beliefs judgmental and bigoted and homophobic, just because you say they are “religious” and “Biblical.” Our rights take precedence over your beliefs.

6. Jeff Kurtti says

Next, Huckabee is going to set up a “Greensboro Wollworth’s Lunch Counter Appreciation Day” to counter the “vitriolic assaults” on those “Christian” Segregation principles, to show again what a forward-facing leader and “man of the times” he is.

7. One of the CA 36,000 says

Ahh, another nugget of bullsh!t from the rotted-out piehole of Mike “Can’t Spell Arkansas Without A-S-S” Huckabee, part-time minister and full-time idiot.

Let’s all shed a sarcastic tear for the poor put-upon Christians in the U.S., that downtrodden minority of 70% of the population.

In the Bizarro world they inhabit, calling someone’s Bible-based condemnation of a whole minority group’s civil rights and very existence “bigotry”– which it unambiguously IS– counts as “intolerant bigotry” against Christianity.

The vast stupidity, faux-victimization and complete cognitive dissonance in that mindset makes my head hurt.

And Chick-Fil-A food makes my intestines scream for bloody mercy. Christians and Chick-Fil-A are evil and bad for me. I won’t darken the door of those establishments, except to go in, make a huge order, then say, “This is Chick-Fil-A?! I would NEVER eat this poisonous garbage, or give money to you gay-hating fake Christian pigs!” Might as well have fun with a boycott…!

8. says

One can only imagine how much chicken Huckabee will wolf down to show his Biblical appreciation for Chick-Fil-A. Somebody’s going to have greasy greasy fingers. Maybe our determined commentator “Pam” from the Boston Chick-Fil-A thread can join him for a chow down?

9. Gareth says

“Too often, those on the left make corporate statements to show support for same sex marriage, abortion, or profanity…”

How can anyone equate those three things?

10. octobercountry says

And once again, let’s reiterate—-“Biblical Marriage” = “one man and as many women as he can afford to buy.” These fundamentalists have a skewed vision of history that doesn’t line up with the facts AT ALL.

11. kpo5 says

Stopped reading at “vitriolic assaults.’

That victim card has to be worn to shreds by now.

Those poor, poor, bigots. Someone called them a naughty name.

It’s just as if someone beat them to near-death and tied them to a fence. Or curb-stomped them. Or waited for them to leave their church and attacked them.

It’s practically the same thing.

12. RichB in PS says

I am aware he has made his opinion public equating gay boy scout leaders with child molesters. I have not and will not watch his show and will immediately boycott all associates and identified tv sponsors.

13. Robert In WeHo says

I’m surprised he didn’t invoke Adolph Hitler. Isn’t that the Religious Right’s favorite go to guy on all things bigoted these days?

14. Arrowsmith says

Oh yes, “Biblical” marriage, where women are property and can be stoned or beaten at the drop of a hat. Yes, because that is SO MUCH BETTER than two people who love each other getting additional government benefits.

Idiot.

15. Rob says

Ha Ha, The Baptist witch doctor is pissed and they are circling the wagons. Biblical marriage and biblical business practices? So many definitions in the bible about that. But it’s just the crazy Baptist viewpoint that is true. Haha. Hmmmmm. I’m a business owner and I didn’t earn my business degree in the Bible.

16. says

“How dare you be intolerant of our intolerance! We should be free to treat gays like second-class citizens because a 2000 year old book written by some bored Jewish dudes said so. Plus, gay guys make us feel all tingly in our no-no places and therefore must be punished for making us feel that way!”

I hope Huckabee starts pigging out on their greasy crap and puts back on all the weight he lost from his bariatric surgery. Dude already looks like he’s storing waffle fries in his cheeks.

17. NeverEclipsed81 says

So hopefully he sent a copy of this to Bryan Fischer, because the only thing that made me angry in all of this, was reading his oped last week!

18. NeverEclipsed81 says

Funny coming from someone as professional as Mike Huckabee, that we have another example of pushing agenda ahead of neutralizing controversy. Since gay hater Christians suck so bad at mediating, I guess we really are done with Chick-Fil-A.

19. Clementine says

I am gay AND a Christian. They are not mutually exclusive, and neither of these aspects of my life, together or apart, make me evil.

As a Christian, I have had numerous crises of faith based on the words and/or actions of those (like Huckabee, the Cathys, Focus on the Family, et al) who proclaim that their take on Christianity is the only true one; that they are the only “good” Christians. Were this to be true, there would be only one church, with no denominations. These zealots do not speak for all Christians, just as those who post here do not speak for all homosexuals.

I gave up meat a few of months ago, and had been fiercely craving a Chick-Fil-A sandwich up until I read Cathy’s statement. Over forty years ago, one of the highlights of Christmas shopping at Greenbriar Mall was meeting up with mom at the end the day for a sandwich and a Sprite at the original Chick-Fil-A location. I have loved that combination ever since, but nevermore.

I will never set foot inside another Cathy-owned business again. Were my mom still alive, she would feel the same way (and she could thump a bible with the best of them). It is not because of their espousal of Christian values, but because their values system includes the belief that “some” people are unworthy of a place at the table of equality; as well as their financial and outspoken support of organizations that seemingly place a higher value on spewing hatred and disdain in the name of God (no matter how gently it be spewed, Mr. Huckabee) than spreading love and compassion in the name of Jesus.

If Huckabee wants to know against whom Jesus would be intolerant, he need look no further than Matthew 21.

20. Darren in atl says

Everybody! Go to Chik-whatever and order something from drive through. As they hand it to you and you ahve given them your money, realize that they don’t like you and ask to have your order canceled and money returned. Clog those drive-thru lines up and let Mr. Huckster wait in line . . . . for forever.

21. Gregoire says

We shouldn’t judge Huckabee. His fat fingers are so greased with chicken juice and bits of fried breading that he is unable to turn the pages of the Bible.

22. Desiderius says

Biblical marriage means that a man can have any number of wives and concubines. And that if a woman marries for the first time and is found not to be a virgin, she can be put to death. So I really don’t think we have Biblical marriage or even want it.

23. simon says

There is nothing wrong with religion itself. The main problem is some preachers like this idiot who base his arguments on a book called Bible on which there are ample evidence not written by Moses, John, Luke etc, It is full of forgeries and blasphemies. He is most likely a fraud who says these things for material gains.

24. Icebloo says

Mike Huckabee. Loser. Failure. He will do anything and say anything just to keep himself in the spotlight.

Too bad the world has moved on and left him behind……who is going to be the one to break the news to him ?

25. Robert K. says

I don’t recall any efforts to close down Huckabee’s church or burn his Bible or imprison him for his beliefs, so until that happens he’s just an ignorant, stupid, paranoid hick.

26. Char says

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings but I guess I just always thought God made sex for having children. I don’t think he intended for us to try and have sex with people of our own gender. It just is not something I think God intended at all. With His help maybe you can overcome the urges to have sex with your own gender, just like he will help anyone who is struggling with something against his will. I struggle with wanting to have an affair with someone, but I know it is wrong . God helps me be strong everyday when I pray. God helps me be true to my husband, and not to sin against His will. If it gets too hard for me to handle on my own I will get some help from Christian counselors. God will help you too. I pray that God helps with what ever you are struggling with.

27. Gregv says

@Char: the world is at present overpopulated, so if sex were only for making babies, then no one should be having sex with anyone. Your suggestions seems to mean that you never use birth control methods, so if that’s the case and you are still having sex, you could easily do more than your share to exacerbate this problem.

Many people see sex as a way of sharing intimacy with a partner. When done safely, it is also a physical release without which health can worsen.

I don’t have any struggle about whether or not to have an affair, because I know that would hurt my relationship with my partner. That is your own struggle.
    I also have no struggle over having a male-male relationship, because it hurts no one and is a source of blessings in my life.

28. Mike says

Tomorrow I will drive thru and order over $100.00 worth of their crappy food. When I reach the drive up window I will applogize that I “don’t have my wallet”, praise Jesus and simply drive away. While they hold bags of food they can’t re-sell to anyone. Peace up.

29. Susan DePalmo says

What a load of crap, its over move on… Leberal gays need to find something else to cry about now. Chik Fil A is a hero and remember that whole free speech thing works both ways. Are you kidding me National Kissing the same sex day, who would even want to eat after seeing that? Please put it to rest. Jeez srd

30. Susan DePalmo says

@Char Amen sister, you said that with much more restraint and patience for these people than I did. Glad to see there is someone else on the conservative side of this issue bothering to check both sides of this story. Honestly, hey are talking about pulling up and ordering $100 worth of food and not paying, calling a 91 yr. old man terrible hateful names and disrespecting our governor, Mr. Huckabee. For what, they are calling them haters, what do they hate? I just wish they would educate themselves and practice tolerance as they preach. Pray b/4 you speak and you will be using Gods’ word, yes, judgement is coming but it is not by anyone here on earth and if you are not worried about your soul you should be.