Bears | Chelsea Handler | Kathy Najimy | News

Kathy Najimy Explains Gay Bear Culture to Chelsea Handler: VIDEO

Najimy

Kathy Najimy appears in Bear City 2 (see the trailer HERE) and here gives Chelsea Handler a crash course in gay bear culture.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via ed kennedy at afterelton)

Comments

1. Bear City 2 will be showing at Out on Film, Atlanta's gay film festival... October 4-11, schedule TBD. www.outonfilm.org

Posted by: rexguy | Jul 23, 2012 10:05:59 AM

2. If Bear City 2 is as good as the original Bear City, it'll be awful.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Jul 23, 2012 10:23:24 AM

3. I didn't even listen to the interview, but the mere fact of two straight women sitting their yapping and laughing about gay men is pathetic and disgusting, just reinforcing the idea that we are to be the wards of women and denied any credibility or acceptance as men.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 23, 2012 11:01:39 AM

4. Rick, I think you're reading way too much into that. Also Kathy Najimy is bisexual, not straight.

Posted by: Craig S | Jul 23, 2012 11:22:46 AM

5. i thought otters were hairy twinks!

Posted by: luke | Jul 23, 2012 11:30:06 AM

6. otters are hairy lean guys, not necessarily twinks, but if we can't even keep up with the terminology, i'm sure not going to fault kathy for it. i love her. and who knew goldilocks was a bear fruit fly? that was news to me. love it.

Posted by: Troy | Jul 23, 2012 11:35:59 AM

7. To paraphrase Ernest Hemingway, "Rick, will you please, please, please, please, please, please, please stop commenting?" If you didn't listen to the interview then don't comment on it. That is all.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 23, 2012 11:39:21 AM

8. @Joe Tell you what, Joe. If two straight men were sitting there talking and laughing about lesbians as objects of entertainment and condescension, how do you think lesbians would react to it?

Uh-huh.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 23, 2012 11:48:07 AM

9. How do you know what they were saying Rick? You didn't listen to the interview. Uh huh.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 23, 2012 11:55:13 AM

10. @ Rick: Did you listen to the interview? Even if you did, how can you qualify the women's discussion as making bears "objects of entertainment and condescension"? I think you're reading your own feelings into the clip.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jul 23, 2012 11:55:19 AM

11. @ Rick: Did you listen to the interview? Even if you did, how can you qualify the women's discussion as making bears "objects of entertainment and condescension"? I think you're reading your own feelings into the clip.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jul 23, 2012 11:55:20 AM

12. The only 'object of entertainment' was her unawareness about what gay bears meant. There was no condescension but the one you projected.

Posted by: Syrax | Jul 23, 2012 11:56:44 AM

13. @Rick - maybe if you had actually listened to the video, or had your facts stright, or hey, made any sense at all, people wouldn't suggest that you shut you until you have clue one about what you are talking about. That said, it's great that the bisexual Najimy and Handler (also bisexual, but her loves are men and booze)can talk about what ever the hell they want to, but are cool enough to promote gay rights all the time.

Posted by: Tarc | Jul 23, 2012 11:57:07 AM

14. No, Chuck, Rick admitted that he didn't listen to the interview. But that doesn't stop him from commenting.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 23, 2012 11:58:28 AM

15. I've met a lot of celebrities through work, and Kathy N. is by far the rudest bit-- I've ever encountered.

Posted by: Greg | Jul 23, 2012 12:19:30 PM

16. OK, I watched it....and still stand by what I said.

Just because they are doing it with a "nice", non-hostile sounding tone of voice does not change that.

But so many of you are so used to being the playthings/social accessories/confidantes of straight women and living vicariously through them and idolizing them (the "diva" phenomenon), that you either cannot see it or think that is the way things are supposed to be.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 23, 2012 12:43:04 PM

17. You should all be more like me and instead live vicariously through an anonymous internet handle while living a totally closeted life.

Don't I sound happy and mentally stable to you?

Posted by: Rick | Jul 23, 2012 12:47:16 PM

18. Uh huh, Rick. I loved that part where Kathy said that she believes we should be able to love and kiss whomever we want, and then the audience shouted homophobic slurs and threw garbage. That was a laughfest!

Posted by: Joe | Jul 23, 2012 1:25:05 PM

19. supportive, yet demeaning, in a there so weird kinda way

Posted by: t | Jul 23, 2012 1:45:35 PM

20. I'm sorry for the angry posts, guys. I'm just ticked off because Kathy looks just like my father, who would make me wear a dog collar and let homeless guys pee on me for his amusement.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 23, 2012 1:49:47 PM

21. Reports of Kathy's bitchery are greatly exaggerated. I was "warned" about her at the LA premiere. Then I actually met her at the step-and-repeat and she was perfectly lovely and cordial! She had a warm smile, gratitude and a handshake - what else do you want?

With regard to the discussion, that is how it goes. Every time I ever heard anyone introduce bear culture to anybody else, it goes EXACTLY like this. What is the problem?

Posted by: Matthew | Jul 23, 2012 2:24:24 PM

22. "supportive, yet demeaning, in a there so weird kinda way"

Well said, T.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 23, 2012 2:48:59 PM

23. I have to be honest. The first movie was HORRIBLE! Decent acting but an awful story line. Hopefully the new movie is better.

Posted by: lessthan | Jul 23, 2012 7:29:11 PM

24. My ideal bear was Roman Ragazzi (RIP)

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Jul 23, 2012 8:16:00 PM

25. "They are making fun of gay men. And turning it into a form of entertainment for their audience."

Are you kidding me? With terms like "bear" "otter" "twink" etc? I think we kind of deserve it. Hell, if I did stand-up or something I would too.

In all seriousness though, I don't believe they're making fun of us. I think they're amused that some in our community choose to use weird-ass labels to describe themselves.

Posted by: Morgan | Jul 23, 2012 9:14:51 PM