2012 Election | Iran | Israel | Mitt Romney | News

Romney Shrugs off Newsweek 'Wimp' Label, Talks Iran and Israel: VIDEO

Romney

During his trip to Jerusalem, Mitt Romney sat down with Face the Nation to discuss his position on Israel and Iran:

Wimp_romney"I respect the right of Israel to defend itself. We stand with Israel. We're two nations that come together in peace and we want to see Iran dissuaded from its nuclear folly."

Romney refused to speak about differences between his and Obama's policy while "on foreign soil".

"I don't want to create new foreign policy for my country or in anyway distance myself...Are there differences between [Obama and me]? Of course. But being on foreign soil, particularly being here in Israel, this isn't the right time for me to draft those out....[W]e should use every diplomatic and political vehicle that's available to us to keep Iran from becoming a nuclear capability state. Those actions should be executed with the greatest speed that we can muster. If all those options fail... then we do have other options and we don't take those other options off the table. But that's as far as I'm willing to go in terms of discussing this matter while on foreign soil."

Romney also commented on his "wimp" Newsweek magazine cover:

"If I worried about what the media said I wouldn't get much sleep."

Watch the Face the Nation interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Romney panders to everyone. He tells Israelis that he will move our Embassy from "the wonderful city of Tel Aviv" to Jersulem, even though democratic and republican administrations have seen this as such a sensitive issue they have treaded gently.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 30, 2012 8:24:25 AM

2. Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?!

Hmmm... What about his promise to
    "[Refuse] to speak about differences between his and Obama's policy while 'on foreign soil.'"

Just another lie.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jul 30, 2012 8:28:34 AM

3. the brit's have it right
    'mitt the twit'

Posted by: cape tom | Jul 30, 2012 8:41:19 AM

4. I'm so sick of American foreign policy. Why would you suppose a war with Iran is warranted? Why shouldn't they have nukes? Israel has a few hundred! And do Iraq and Afghanistan look like secure countries to anyone? I'm so sick of US aggression responsible for killing millions of people. You all need to take a long, hard look in the mirror and get control of your out of control government.

Posted by: screech | Jul 30, 2012 8:59:24 AM

5. I would not trust Romney to negotiate with foreign countries. He usually agrees with the people he is talking too. Obama, for all his charm was sending special forces to kill Osama at the very time he was attending that D C journalist roast. The guy has got brass ones. Unusual for a liberal democrat.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 30, 2012 10:21:48 AM

6. This is totally childish of me to even mention, but has anyone else noticed that Mitt Romney takes very tiny steps when he walks, as if his underpants are riding up?

Posted by: Chris Waddling | Jul 30, 2012 3:01:53 PM

7. Newsweek is idiotic for reusing the "wimp" headline. Romney isn't a wimp. He's insecure because he can't choose a side on any issue because he doesn't actually stand for anything. He's not a wimp, he's dangerous. He's something I think one doesn't find much in Utah, a belligerent Mormon. Happy to recklessly go to war with Iran? Sure, why not?

One can make a decent argument that Obama wasn't "ready for prime time" but Romney is not even ready for the local affiliate AM show that comes on before Good Morning America.

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Jul 30, 2012 10:30:16 PM