Discrimination | News | Virginia

BigGayDeal.com

Virginia Lesbian Couple Claims Carilion Clinic Also Discriminated Against Them

VirginiaballoonNews last week that Roanoke Health Club, a private club owned by Virginia's largest health care provider, Carilion Clinic, rejected a couple because they're gay inspired another couple to come out with their own tale of discrimination.

According to Chanda Ingram and Nikki Hyler, another Carilion-owned club, the Botetourt Athletic Club, turned them away after learning they are lesbians.

Local NBC station WSLS reports:

Ingram said she looked at the BAC [Botetourt Athletic Club] with her then 7 year old daughter, Abby.

Ingram claims the BAC representative was just about to grant her the family membership when he asked if her "husband" could come in and sign the paperwork.

When she explained she had no husband, instead she had a partner, Ingram said the BAC employee immediately rescinded the offer for family membership.

"I was truly speechless," Ingram said. "We just walked out at that point."

Carilion, as you can imagine, had no comment.

Comments

1. Wow, so a private firm in VA (especially in the southern part) discriminated against a gay couple? Shocking.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 2, 2012 6:04:58 PM

2. Virginia and the bigoted policies/idiologies of its' companies and a majority of its' citizens come as no surprise to me, to date they are still one of the top 3 worst hate states in our country.. SHAME on Virginia!!!!!

Posted by: RxR | Jul 2, 2012 6:20:54 PM

3. Sorry, that's "ideologies"...

Posted by: RxR | Jul 2, 2012 6:22:28 PM

4. A husband IS a marriage partner. To say, "I don't have a husband; instead, I have a partner" is roughly the grammatical equivalent of saying, "I don't have a son; instead, I have a child" or "I don't have a brother; instead, I have a sibling."
    I remember when I was working out at my own gum overhearing someone who sounded like he was from head office telling a personal trainer that he should always find out if a new guy joining has a wife in case she wants to join. The trainer reacted as I (in my own head) did when hearing this: "Ummm... That would sound presumtuous to say to our clients. Most of the married men who are members here don't have wives."
    But anyway, is Roanoke so backward that there will be no backlash from fair-minded members? I would quit that gym in two seconds.

Posted by: Gregv | Jul 2, 2012 6:52:39 PM

5. The membership manual for the gyms is now explicit. Family membership, it says, is only for a husband and wife as defined by Virginia state law.

And no, there will be no backlash.... the majority will support it.

Who owns this Carilion company anyway ?

Posted by: Alex | Jul 2, 2012 7:23:05 PM

6. OMG this is just wrong!!! I live in VA and I can definitely attest to being discriminated against EVERYWHERE. Did you know there's a law in VA that prevents any kind of agreement between 2 same sex individuals here in the commonwealth? Heaven forbid I have a kid and I die.. they'd go to the state not my partner :(

Posted by: JRyan | Jul 2, 2012 7:24:10 PM

7. I'm sorry, I believe in home and trying to stay in a place to change it for the better, but gays in rural Virginia? It's like the Sam Kinneson's advice to Ethiopian drought victims:"Move AWAY from there forgodsakes!"

Posted by: CHEVYTEXAS | Jul 2, 2012 10:26:23 PM

8. Carilion owns Carilion. They are a not for profit hospital system here in SW Virginia with its headquarters and new Biomedical Institute in Roanoke, VA. The correct Name Is Carilion Clinic. It's been a well known fact that the Carilion owned health clubs (The Roanoke Atheltic Club / RAC and The Botetourt Atheltic Club / BAC) in this area that are open to the public do not and have not allowed family memberships by LGBT families. As far as I know the corporate gyms (Golds and PF) also don't allow it and neither does the other largest local private health club, The Lancerlot. Also, I don't think that Carilion offers same sex partner health insurance to their employees, but I am trying to verify that.

Depsite this being SW VA, the Roanoke area is somewhat metropolitan despite being the site of one of the worst anti-LGBT acts of violence in the USA. Google Roanoke+Backstreet+Shooting and read about it for yourself.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jul 2, 2012 10:29:25 PM

9. Also, I would like to know where all these "stunned" and "shocked" people were in 2004 when the rest of us were fighting tooth and nail and working our asses off trying to raise awareness and oppose the "Marshal Newman Marriage Amendment" from being added to our constitution. Of course, we lost by a wide margin and as a result Virginia (including the civilized suburbs of DC) now has one of the most restrictive anti LGBT (and a whole lot more) marriage ammendments in the USA. Please send your comments to VA Delegate Bob Marshall (R-Manassas) who is the homophobe/raging closet case who pushed this crap on us using the typical Bush era scare tactics. .

Posted by: beef and fur | Jul 2, 2012 10:38:33 PM

10. @JRYan - yes, that's the "Marshall Newman Marriage Amendment" one of the most restrictive in the USA.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jul 2, 2012 10:43:59 PM

11. Roanoke, Va is the toilet of Virginia

Posted by: Kevin thor | Jul 3, 2012 12:58:57 AM

12. I did not see the Carilion Clinic listed on HRC's recent report on Hospitals' treatment of gay employees and patients. Is seem they have some catching up to do.

Posted by: Ginbuck (@Ginbuck1) | Jul 3, 2012 2:09:35 AM

13. @Beef and Fur: I'd like to introduce you to a word. It's called sarcasm. I lived in VA for 28 years and return about 4 times a year. I'm pretty familiar with how its politics work---like crap.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 3, 2012 6:14:57 AM

14. The file creation/modification date on the BAC membership handbook is 06/27/2012 as of a few moments ago. I'm guessing that they wanted to basically hang a NO 'MOs ALLOWED sign on the front door instead of having to tell people individually. You know, to avoid all that unpleasantness.

Posted by: GDad | Jul 3, 2012 11:15:24 AM

15. Virginia is for losers and inbred rednecks.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 3, 2012 11:22:34 AM

16. I've lucked out. For the most part, schools and medical (including Carilion) facilities haven't done anything out of line- For the schools I have to sign an extra form maybe. Hospitals honor my medical POA. Now, I don't try taking the kids to the doctor because legally in VA I don't have the right without written permission. I don't have any redress if the arrangements my illegal wife and I have in case one of us dies got challenged- legally two females cannot sign a contract with each other that "substantially" is like any of the rights/privileges of marriage. Which is pretty much against the Constitution on its face, but no one has challenged it yet.
    I would move but I won a house and have little money. I can't afford to move somewhere civilized. I have friends I haven't seen in years because they are boycotting VA.
    Some places have let her and I get family rates/memberships, others haven't. Usually depends on if they will let room mates sign up for something or just married couples.

Posted by: Wild Clover | Jul 3, 2012 10:52:28 PM