Adam Lambert | Music | News | Tattoo

Adam Lambert Gets Big New Tattoo: PHOTO

Tattoo_lambert

Newly-blond Adam Lambert displayed a new tattoo via Twitter on Sunday. The tattoo, which reads "Musica Delenit Bestiam Feram" is translated as "Music Soothes the Savage Beast".

Comments

1. Misquote

Posted by: John | Aug 13, 2012 2:03:47 PM

2. Too bad the actual quote is "Music soothes the savage breast"

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Aug 13, 2012 2:08:04 PM

3. Musica Delenit Bestiam Feram is a popular latin expression. If he was quoting Congreve it would have been in English

Posted by: oh stop | Aug 13, 2012 2:11:05 PM

4. More likely a popular Latin translation of the misquote. The Latin phrase doesn't appear in any Latin writings that I know of.

Posted by: Perry | Aug 13, 2012 2:26:21 PM

5. Let's see, what really matters here? Wait for it, yes! Adam Lambert likes the quote!

I also happen to like it and the way it was "printed". The next time any of you come out in a a big fat international way, let me know.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 13, 2012 2:37:33 PM

6. Oh, and since there's no attribution on the tattoo, there's no obligation for "correctness".

Posted by: David R. | Aug 13, 2012 2:39:06 PM

7. "...doesn't appear in any Latin writings that I know of."

Really? Well excuse the f*** out of you, Homer.

Posted by: Werk | Aug 13, 2012 2:52:53 PM

8. The phrase Musica delenit bestiam feram was already in use at the time of the Roman Empire. It's associated with the story of Orpheus, who used music to put the savage beast Cerberus to sleep so he could enter the underworld to bring his wife back from the dead.

Posted by: Anna | Aug 13, 2012 3:15:53 PM

9. Tacky as hell.

Posted by: Mikey | Aug 13, 2012 3:18:57 PM

10. Classic!! And it is HIS skin, not mine. It will not affect his magnificent performances and voice.

Posted by: Calvin Smith | Aug 13, 2012 3:29:50 PM

11. @Anna - though I'm sure that is a plausible source, I'd just point out that Orpheus is a greek myth, not Roman. So were that expression relevant to Orpheus or used in ancient tales relating to Orpheus, it would be in Greek, not Latin. Though I'd be curious to actually see that phrase ever actually used in the context of Orpheus - in Greek or Latin.

Posted by: SamIAm | Aug 13, 2012 3:53:49 PM

12. Nice quotation, though I think Adam's music is more about awakening savage beasts than soothing them! ;-)

And if I were going to quibble, I'd say that overuse of capital letters in gothic script has always been a pet peeve of mine. If anything, they should be used even less frequently than in English. In most MSS they appear at the beginning of a page or the beginning of a paragraph. But that's a calligrapher's quibble. I just throw it out there because apparently people are grasping at straws to find something to pick on.

Posted by: KevinVT | Aug 13, 2012 3:55:15 PM

13. @ Werk: You mean Ovid. Homer was Greek.

Posted by: Rich F. | Aug 13, 2012 3:56:17 PM

14. I like Adam Lambert as much as anyone, but the unending coverage he gets on this site will one day result in "Adam Lambert Changes His Shirt."

Posted by: Jim | Aug 13, 2012 4:21:33 PM

15. The dots over the i's don't match. One of them looks like a freckle.

Posted by: it isn't just me | Aug 13, 2012 4:26:05 PM

16. It's not a misquote if that was his intent. Did he say, "I'm quoting Congreve" ? No. Ppl are so picky picky picky :p

Posted by: theo | Aug 13, 2012 4:35:44 PM

17. @Samiam: The tale of Orpheus was a very popular story in ancient Greece *and* Rome, and many philosophers and playwrights composed stories based on it. So the quote being in Latin does make sense.

Posted by: Anna | Aug 13, 2012 4:57:59 PM

18. Isn't too early in his career for self-mutilation?

Posted by: Josh | Aug 13, 2012 5:34:51 PM

19. Why does this matter? Someone famous doing something that is now, normal and mundane. Tats are no longer news.

Posted by: Bravecat | Aug 13, 2012 8:22:22 PM

20. I never understood the need to tattoo phrases in your body. Are you afraid of forgetting it? If it is THAT important, couldn't you just quote it if needed? Do you need to mark yourself as a token of reassurance because you lack real inside conviction? People who tattoo themselves believe that the mind doesn't evolve or change or even get tired or bored. Like a motto? Use a T-shirt with it. And see how much you will wear it.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Aug 13, 2012 8:22:34 PM

21. I like that he tattooed a misquote in a language in which it was not originally written. Why should he be restricted to textual or linguistic accuracy? That is so heterosexist to think so.

Girlfriend probably never heard of Congreve anyway.

Honey, you know he tattooed something in Latin to get himself a hot Latino. It's why my pickup line is "Arma virumque cano": I sing of arms and a man, baby!

Posted by: bravo | Aug 13, 2012 8:54:33 PM

22. I loved him on American Idol when he seemed to be doing a Fredericus Mercurius impression. You know, from the band Regina.

Posted by: bravo | Aug 13, 2012 8:58:28 PM

23. As far as tats are concerned, another latin phrase seems applicable: De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 13, 2012 10:15:31 PM

24. permanently disfiguring his body because his latest cd was a big flop may not have been the best choice...but it's too late now.

Posted by: el polacko | Aug 13, 2012 11:01:01 PM

25. The hottest Latin tattoo I have seen wasn't really a tattoo.

A smokin' hot football player in high school used to hand- write Latin declensions and conjugations on his forearms prior to Latin tests. I still get hard thinking about 3rd declension i-stems.

Posted by: bravo | Aug 13, 2012 11:23:34 PM