2012 Election | Elizabeth Warren | Gay Marriage | Massachusetts | News | Scott Brown

BigGayDeal.com

Boxer Micky Ward Pulls Scott Brown Endorsement Over Gay Rights

Mickeyward

Republican Scott Brown meant to hold an event today in which Micky Ward, the boxer who inspired the Oscar-nominated movie The Fighter, would throw his weight behind the Massachusetts Senator's reelection campaign.

Ward, however, pulled out at the last minute because, much to his chagrin, Brown does not support labor unions or marriage equality.

"I can’t support Scott Brown. I just can’t do it," said Ward about a half-hour after telling The Sun of Lowell he was backing the Republican. "I found out Scott (Brown) is anti-union and I’m a Teamster guy. I found out he’s also against gay marriage, and I say if you love someone, you should have the same rights no matter who you are.”

The Massachusetts senate race is one of the most-watched in the country. Brown, who replaced late Sen. Ted Kennedy, is going up against progressive Elizabeth Warren, a proponent of marriage equality. Though Warren was up in earlier polls, Brown has again pulled ahead. A Public Policy Polling survey released this week puts him about 5 points ahead of Warren.

Comments

1. Cheers to you Micky.

Posted by: EricD. | Aug 31, 2012 1:27:36 PM

2. no wonder mark wahlberg loved him so much

Posted by: Collins | Aug 31, 2012 1:28:26 PM

3. My FIRST thought was also
    "ohhh, thats why Wahlberg become close friends with this man. They share the same scumbag ideology"

Posted by: 2Dads | Aug 31, 2012 1:29:57 PM

4. Nice!

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 31, 2012 1:32:54 PM

5. He's FOR gay marriage guys. there was a typo in the original article that seems to have been corrected, hence the confusion I guess by some of the posters above.

Posted by: Mateo C | Aug 31, 2012 1:34:30 PM

6. Awesome! Thank you for taking this stand, Micky.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 31, 2012 1:34:42 PM

7. No, the article was fine. I was silly in misreading it and reading the others repliers comment. I thought when towleroad wrote "is againt labor unions and marriage equality" they meant him. My apologies. Have been traveling back and forth from visiting my mom in the hospital and the lack of sleep clearly caught on. I'm confused though
    @ Collins does Mark Wahlberg support marriage equality? considering your comment above?
    either way, this champ is a CHAMP!

Posted by: 2Dads | Aug 31, 2012 1:38:15 PM

8. We better show him some love and support for this on his twitter page and facebook, especially twitter, because he's going to catch hell from conservatives for pulling out. Please go on your twitters and show this ally your appreciation for taking a stance so bravely!

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Aug 31, 2012 1:40:01 PM

9. I agree. everyone tweet him your gratitude. what a beautiful gesture, to stand up for his convictions and share compassion for all!!

Posted by: Allen | Aug 31, 2012 1:40:50 PM

10. What a phenomenal man. Something tells me he has some close gay loved one/family around him who he deeply cares about.

Posted by: J.J | Aug 31, 2012 1:41:38 PM

11. He's so awesome for this! wow. wish i knew him to give him a big hand shake for this

Posted by: Cortiz | Aug 31, 2012 1:43:34 PM

12. Mickey is a great gentle soft spoken guy. I've known him for years and he is quite a different person than you might imagine, as someone who fights for a living. I didn't know his stance of marriage equality, but it makes sense! Hooray.

Posted by: John | Aug 31, 2012 1:51:38 PM

13. This made my day. Thank you, Micky Ward!

Posted by: Watcher | Aug 31, 2012 1:56:03 PM

14. W E R K !!!!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 31, 2012 1:56:04 PM

15. I'm no fan of Brown, but I do not think he is against marriage equality. In fact there was a Towleroad article just the other day about Brown's views on gay marriage in MA:

Says the Brown campaign: “Scott Brown believes gay marriage is settled law in Massachusetts and it’s time to move on to issues like jobs and the economy. He opposes a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and woman.”

Posted by: EO | Aug 31, 2012 1:59:42 PM

16. If Obama wins reelection and Kerry gets Hilliary's old job, both with be in the senate anyways.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 31, 2012 2:04:58 PM

17. This story made my day :-) WE'VE GOT THE PRIDE OF LOWELL ON OUR SIDE!

Posted by: John | Aug 31, 2012 2:09:23 PM

18. @Sam... Even better is to have Elizabeth Warren boot Brown out to get rid of one republican and help dems keep control of Senate. Then if Kery gets Sec of State job, a second dem can be appointed to replace him.

Posted by: Tim NC | Aug 31, 2012 2:17:51 PM

19. The Fighter was an amazing film. Especially for Melissa Leo's tough as nails performance and the story of the two Irish brothers.

Now there's even more reason to love Ward himself. Good for him.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Aug 31, 2012 2:30:12 PM

20. at EO: He's a Senator in Washington, where he can do some damage to gay marriage. In Massachusetts gays can marry and Scott Brown has to put up with it because he's not a law maker there.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Aug 31, 2012 2:31:47 PM

21. That is wonderful. He looks a strong man and acts like one, too. Thanks M.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 31, 2012 3:09:46 PM

22. He is truly a man of exceptional character and courage. He is on Facebook, however not on Twitter for those of you who want to express your support and gratitude.

Posted by: DMM | Aug 31, 2012 3:22:28 PM

23. Cool guy

Posted by: say what | Aug 31, 2012 3:35:41 PM

24. Brown will win, regardless.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 31, 2012 3:48:24 PM

25. "I'm no fan of Brown, but I do not think he is against marriage equality."

Why would you think that? Saying that marriage is settled in MA only means that he is living in the real world. It doesn't mean he supports ending DOMA. He certainly opposed equality in MA when he was in the legislature, voting in favor of putting an anti-gay constitutional amendment before voters. Now, because equality is widely accepted in MA, he avoids the issue except to recognize the obvious: the mainstream Republican party is at odds with the people of MA.

Kudos to Micky Ward for not being fooled by Brown.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 31, 2012 4:50:41 PM