Chris Christie to Give Keynote Address at Republican Convention

Chris Christie will give the keynote speech at this month's Republlican National Convention in Tampa, the NYT reports:

ChristieThe scheduling decision was first reported online by USA Today early Tuesday and confirmed by Republican officials directly involved in convention planning. The Republican officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the formal announcement was not planned until later Tuesday.

"I'll try to tell some very direct and hard truths to people in the country about the trouble that we're in and the fact that fixing those problems is not going to be easy for any of them," Christie told USA Today in an interview announcing his speech. He said he will describe his experiences in New Jersey as evidence that "the American people are ready to confront those problems head-on and endure some sacrifice."

The keynote speech is the highest profile spot for someone not accepting the party's presidential or vice presidential nominations.

More here.

Comments

1. Dastius Krazitauc says

“some very direct and hard truths…fixing those problems is not going to be easy…ready to confront those problems head-on and endure some sacrifice.”

But that message will be coming from a morbidly obese person who can’t sacrifice enough of his appetites to save his own life.

2. Mary says

Unfortunately, Christie’s size affects how people view him. I feel for him here (a lot of us have struggled to lose a few pounds most of our lives), but the subject really IS relevant. Social conservatives are supposed to be champions of self-restraint, and Christie’s obesity is severe enough that it can’t simply be genetic. In a way he’s as embarassing to the party as Bristol Palin’s pregnancy was (and that resulted from a one-time action.) And size affects politics because who wants to vote for someone who looks like a heart attack waiting to happen? As I said, the guy has my symnpathy, but I can see why Romney didn’t put him on the ticket.

3. it isn't just me says

So Mr. Christie will be endorsing Gordon Gekko and Ayn Rand, and cupcakes. Lots of cupcakes. With frosting. And filling. Oops, where was I? Oh, yes the candidates, vote for ’em!

4. Scott says

Compare their future star, Chris Christie, and the Democrats’ future star, Julian Castro.

It makes me feel REALLY GOOD about the future of the Democratic Party — and our nation!

5. Caliban says

Then after the speech, Gov Christie will turn around and bend over so they can project inspirational videos and PowerPoint presentations on his azz for the rest of the convention.

6. anon says

Not exactly scintillating news. Convention coverage is down to like one hour a night on TV. They have the spontaneity of a librarian book sorting party.

7. Michael says

So they are letting an unrepentant sinner who is obviously eating more than his share and according to the bible should slit his own throat speak at their hatefest. But I can’t get married because they think it’s a sin? So one sin is obviously better than another. Disgusting.

8. PAUL B. says

I’m trying hard to come up with just one redeeming feature. Alas, I’m befuddled. We’ve covered the most obvious character flaws…haven’t we? Oh, you want more? Can you say “NO SELF CONTROL” !
    Then of course there’s his temper tantrums and his bigotry. But, without a doubt…it’s his appetite that brings him to his knees. Didn’t he just return home from London with a gold in the pie eating competition?
    Sorry to all the big folks out there for these insensitive remarks. I wish I could rise above it…but it’s just easy to go there with CC.

9. andrew says

Those of you who enjoy the fat jokes might want to stop and realize how large a percentage of the American electorate is overweight.It might just backfire.