Comments

1. Mitch says

“Hurricanes form from rising moisture created by hot steamy man action aboard a gay Caribbean cruise. When that sin gets high enough it makes the angels cry and those tears fall to earth in the form of massive precipitation because homosexuals are a vital part of the water cycle. That’s why the gay symbol is a rainbow!”

Wow! Steven Colbert said that? Until I read the attribution, I thought it was classic explanatory word salad bigotry from Sarah Palin!

Great work Steven! Sorta makes me want to whip up a hurricane! Any takers?

2. johnny says

3. says

Ha ha ha ; that explanation of meteorological events is so true ! But how dos it establish Pat Robertson’s claim the we also caused 9/11 ?
    Maybe the gays powers extend beyond atmospherics ?

4. Diogenes Arkitos says

“This explanation is probably not that far off from what some rabid right religio-wingnut probably already believes.”

I agree.

NPR had a clip from some show where a character contradicted a friend calling him a conservative – he said that no, he was a liberal because he believed that hurricanes were caused by barometric pressure, not by gays.

5. Thomasina says

@ Diogenes Arkitos: You got this wrong. This clip, which was from Aaron Sorkin’s HBO show “The Newsroom,” actually contains a character saying that he is NOT a liberal–he is a “registered Republican; I only *seem* liberal because I believe that hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage.”

6. UFFDA says

Although it is well-known that gay action causes atmospheric disturbances, Mr. Colbert is the first to give scientific credence to the exact operative causes. Still he did miss the particular reason for the start of this hurrican season which was Rufus Wainwright’s marriage to Jorn Weisbrot up at Montauk last week. Connect your dots Steve.

7. Caliban says

Making gays a “vital part of the water cycle” and tying in the rainbow symbol?

And

“There’s no way God would punish the Republican party. We know they’re not gay, after all, they doth protest it so much!”

Classic. That’s why I love this show so much- Colbert and his writers are some of the best satirists working today.

8. maddM@ says

Damn I love this guy so much… truly one of the geniuses of our generation. Although I have this to say-

How can we believe that? Too much science, not enough scripture. I know in my heart how a hurricane forms.

9. Diogenes Arkitos says

@Thomasina: Thanks. I figured I’d probably screw it up. But I think that’s “low” pressure.

10. Thomasina says

@Diogenes Arkitos: Not according to world-renowned meteorologist Aaron Sorkin:

Seriously, though, you need a combination of high pressure AND low pressure to exacerbate a hurricane; the high-pressure air gets pulled into the low-pressure storm center and accelerates the wind speed. And then I think the two barometric pressures get gay married.

11. plaintom says

If the American Taliban thinks we have such special powers, why do they keep pissing us off ?