2012 Election | News

BigGayDeal.com

David Koch Backs Gay Marriage, Rejects Libertarian Party

DavidKochDavid Koch, one-half of the billionaire Koch Brothers who have pumped hundreds of millions into conservative causes, including Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, and who was once asked by Scott Brown for financial assistance, said today that he supports marriage equality.

"I believe in gay marriage," Koch told Politico. Reminded that Romney wants to constitutionally ban such rights, Koch said, "Well, I disagree with that."

Despite disagreements on social issues, Koch continues to support the GOP because of all the billions his companies — the makers of Brawny paper towel, Dixie cups and a company that produces Lycra among them — can pocket under right-wing policies that benefit businesses and the wealthy.

So why not support the Libertarian Party? Koch did, after all, run as that party's vice presidential candidate in 1980. According to Koch, while he likes the Libertarian philosophy in theory, in practice it "went off the deep end".

"The Libertarian Party is a great concept. I love the ideals, but it got too far off the deep end, and so I dropped out," Koch said. "I think the Republican Party has a great chance of being successful and that’s why I support it," he said, adding "but I believe in the libertarian principles."

Even more reason for Koch to join wealthy donors like Paul Singer and start backing campaigns that support equality, right?

Comments

1. Just because Koch supports gay marriage, it doesn't make him a nice person. He is just as appalling as ever in the overall sense.

Posted by: jason | Aug 30, 2012 8:56:11 PM

2. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Given his environmental track record, propaganda on climate change and proclivity for supporting an almost neofascist takeover of government by big business, I can't say I find him much of an ally.

Posted by: Craig | Aug 30, 2012 8:56:58 PM

3. I would imagine that if the rich fiscal conservatives in the republican party managed to clear out the rabid socially conservative rednecks, every current blue state would turn red and every red state would turn blue

Posted by: Stolidog | Aug 30, 2012 8:58:25 PM

4. He does NOT support gay marriage. He's just saying that so people don't hate him as much.

This "man" is evil. He is part of the reason democracy no longer exists in the USA. He believes it's OK to buy the White House.

I HATE this piece of human excrement. Do not believe a word he says. He is pure evil.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 30, 2012 9:13:53 PM

5. David Koch supports the republican party for the same reason that most of the super rich do: It protects their privileged position. Lower taxes for the wealthy. Screw everybody else.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 30, 2012 9:17:30 PM

6. I doubt he's really 'for' gay marriage...seems more like a 'divde and conquer' tactic to me. He and his brother are truly disgusting people.

Posted by: Geoff M | Aug 30, 2012 9:21:39 PM

7. Is there any evidence he actually supports marriage equality? Has donated time or money to any of the organizations advancing the cause?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 30, 2012 9:26:57 PM

8. He doesn't back marriage equality. He has so much power, there is no reason why he couldn't influence the party. Full of crap.

Posted by: Jakke | Aug 30, 2012 10:09:38 PM

9. Donors have used all their sweet money as "leverage" for causes they support for years. I don't support or much like the Kochs and the people who's social totalitarianism they further (while blindly looking away) in order to get a tax break and favorable profit conditions.

Why not do both? Then I could see some respect. Dangle that check and demand they start acting more libertarian if that's what you believe. They all moved "right" because of the financial and dedicated voter base evangelicals made that the cost of their endorsement and support.

I guarantee you that Romney and a LOT of other conservatives would easily tone down the rhetoric and forward gay causes if it those things stood between them and a check. It's NOT their true religion (not for many or most of them) it's their ticket. Start using your power, Mr. Koch.

Posted by: llm | Aug 30, 2012 10:44:27 PM

10. Donors have used all their sweet money as "leverage" for causes they support for years. I don't support or much like the Kochs and the people who's social totalitarianism they further (while blindly looking away) in order to get a tax break and favorable profit conditions.

Posted by: llm | Aug 30, 2012 10:44:29 PM

11. Does not compute. Does not compute.

No, I'm not sure I believe it. If that's true then Koch's got some major cognitive dissonance happening somewhere between what he believes in and the candidates he finances. I call psy-ops.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 30, 2012 10:46:22 PM

12. Like Paul Ryan, Mr. Koch professes adherence to libertarian principles while working hard to further corporate entitlement.

There is no future for libertarian values as long as libertarians blindly join the Republican Party. The Republicans are as antithetical to overall libertarian principles as the Democrats are.

Posted by: Nat | Aug 30, 2012 11:09:47 PM

13. Sigh, I'm going to go against the mainstream here and say that this is a BIG admission, although not totally unexpected. The 'christian conservative' and 'liberterian' wings of the republican party are about as far apart as it's possible to be. The Kochs have always leaned liberterian. (the strict liberterian view is to give any two adults a 'civil union' in the eyes of the law and let the churches decide who they want to 'marry')
    These are BIG donors. Lets not forget that in this past electorial cycle Bloomberg was the biggest republican donor in NY State. Last year he got together with a bunch of his other Wall St. buddies (something like 30+ of the 50 biggest donors to the state republican party) and said that if marriage equality didn't pass in NYS, it'd be lean times for the republican party.

Posted by: Matt in NYC | Aug 30, 2012 11:12:42 PM

14. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

Posted by: Louis Vuitton Handbags | Aug 30, 2012 11:14:34 PM

15. Both the Koch brothers support gay marriage and gay rights, or that's what my research has unearthed. It just surprises me that, since they're accused of being the puppet masters of Republicans, the Republican party is still as anti-gay as ever. While supporting it is nice, for as much power as they have, I'll be the first to say that it's insufficient to support it in words, but not deed. It's basically like they don't support it at all, considering how much they funnel into the Republicans without changing them.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 30, 2012 11:42:48 PM

16. He may support gay marriage but hes not gay. and his objectives in getting his hands in govt have nothing to do with gay causes. He may support gay marriage but it doesnt really matter enough to him to take his money and make a difference in our cause. He will side himself with peeps that would round us up and gas us because thats financially expedient. doesnt matter to him. But he supports us. Some of my farts have more weight than his vapid support. Hes in it for himself. and his gazillions. period

Posted by: stevenelliot | Aug 31, 2012 12:08:11 AM

17. Follow the money.

He's not running for anything. He will say whatever he needs to.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 31, 2012 1:01:09 AM

18. Any time Republican partisans offer support to gay issues, it is only an attempt to peel off a few gullible gay voters & gain the power they need to enact more homophobic policies.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Aug 31, 2012 1:12:31 AM

19. Exactly Jonny. It's just more of the "some Republicans can be moderate" fluff. He certainly wouldn't support any law that allowed his companies to get sued if they discriminated against anybody, be it blacks, gays, or women.
    Also he might not like the libertarian party because he sees the prison-industrial complex as ripe with investment opportunities and knows that drug legalization would partly demolish it. We do need a massive drug law overhaul; that being said, libertarianism is a terrible idea for many reasons.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 31, 2012 4:32:52 AM

20. "The 'christian conservative' and 'liberterian' wings of the republican party are about as far apart as it's possible to be."

No, not at all. They would both be against anti-discrimination laws, which, lest we forget, is really a more central issue to all gay and lesbian people than the right to marry. Doesn't matter if you can get married and can't find a job because nobody will hire you, or will fire you when they find out you're gay. The "libertarian" wing of the Republican party is ONLY about maximizing the profits of plutocrats...nothing else.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 31, 2012 4:36:23 AM

21. I love how people deride Koch for "buying elections," while conveniently ignoring that there are plenty of ridiculously wealthy Democratic supporters who do the same. Are labor unions evil because they try to buy the White House for their own purposes?

Or is it only bad to buy elections when it's the other party?

Posted by: Jack | Aug 31, 2012 9:23:18 AM

22. ehhh....he supports gay marriage. I know a political operative in NY who is very connected in Democratic circles and LGBTQ issues. Koch has been at UES fundraising parties.

He and his wife also give MILLIONS to the arts and medical research.

Doesn't mean he's not a scumbag. He is. SCUMbag.

Posted by: Tim | Aug 31, 2012 10:33:33 AM

23. Interesting. Was Googling this subject and found this piece on the Kochs and gays: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/lee-bailey/libertarianism-for-your-teen_b_1378464.html

Posted by: Wil | Aug 31, 2012 11:12:58 AM

24. Lots of nutty comments here. Why must all of his opinions line up with one party or another? I'm a hard conservative on immigration, but I support gay marriage and the legalization of prostitution and most drugs.

Posted by: randall | Aug 31, 2012 12:08:11 PM

25. I'm not a Republican or a Libertarian and I voted for Obama, but I must echo a past comment here and say I really could do with less of Mr. Belonsky's vindictive, nuance-free political coverage. Conservatives can have honestly motivated opinions - not every action is avaricious strategy. They are capable of seeing the same "goodness" in gay marriage that we do and we should appreciate that when is happens. Posts like this make us all little dumber.

Posted by: kipp | Aug 31, 2012 12:58:44 PM