2012 Election | Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | News

Democrats Planning to Feature Republicans, Gay Soldiers at Charlotte Convention: Report

Planners for the Democratic National Convention are hoping to feature "several Republicans in a prime-time appeal to independents" according to Politico, as part of a nightly "social contrast" segment "in which two people describe their personal experience with a hot-button issue."

DnccPolitico:

But the plans show organizers intent on steering clear of controversy as well. For the gay marriage social contrast, for instance, the documents state the participants should be “not a gay couple” — but a “parent and gay son or daughter.”

Other examples: “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell: Gay soldier and fellow (straight) soldier who served together in Iraq or Afghanistan (ideally the straight soldier was helped by the gay soldier, i.e., medic, in fire fight) … Planned Parenthood: Husband who talks about how a PAP smear saved his wife’s life and his spouse … Immigration: Two young people from the same family, one who was born here, the other a few years older who was not … Choice: A couple who has children, but wants to make their own decisions, not have the government do it for them (or who has confronted a difficult medical situation).”

Comments

1. They have my vote. I am voting to re elected President Obama is 2012. Join us.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Aug 10, 2012 10:38:28 AM

2. This is going to be a nightmare going to and from home :/ I'm trying to rent my apartment out so I can hide somewhere I'm South Charlotte

Posted by: Wdeanis | Aug 10, 2012 10:52:20 AM

3. Politically manipulative, but potentially very effective. The Republicans had a couple of Democrats at their last couple conventions who had left the party; it would be very canny for the Dems to spotlight some Republicans who feel the party has lurched too far to the extreme Right and left them behind.

And again, if the Dems are smart, they'll have a prominent spot for Daniel Hernandez, the aide who helped save Gabby Giffords' life and has going on to win a school board position. Latino, gay, AND a hero in the face of gun violence? Yes please.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 10, 2012 11:44:42 AM

4. You gays are as intolerant as they get. No wonder there were so many in the hierarchy of Hitler's Regime. Hitler himself was a bi-sexual.

Posted by: steve | Aug 10, 2012 12:45:35 PM

5. Don't like Cic Fil A - don't eat there. If they promised to serve male chickens would that change your mind. You guys love to eat cock.

Posted by: steve | Aug 10, 2012 12:47:23 PM

6. Don't expect a lot of spontaneity at a political convention.

Posted by: anon | Aug 10, 2012 12:51:22 PM

7. DBACK! Totally!

Steve: From someone who thinks we "gays" are intolerant and equates us with Hitler...with you putting up two entries on the same Towleroad article...seems like someone likes cock more than the "gays!"

Posted by: Jay | Aug 10, 2012 12:58:45 PM

8. the gay parent/child angle is actually most effective. for the stupidest reasons (that we all, alas, understand) conservatives still believe and insist that Gay People materialize out of nowhere and appear in downtown cores as twenty-somethings. we were all children. we grew up in an anti-gay world. having our parents with us has a lot of impact.

best of luck, america.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 10, 2012 1:14:01 PM

9. the gay parent/child angle is actually most effective. for the stupidest reasons (that we all, alas, understand) conservatives still believe and insist that Gay People materialize out of nowhere and appear in downtown cores as twenty-somethings. we were all children. we grew up in an anti-gay world. having our parents with us has a lot of impact.

best of luck, america.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 10, 2012 1:15:08 PM

10. Excuse me, I'm Canadian, and can't help being totally irrelevant and ignorant of the issue in the US.

But I do suck a mean cock !

Posted by: LITTLEKIWI | Aug 10, 2012 3:05:34 PM

11. I slightly disagree with Littlekiwi. I think part of the reason Prop 8 won in California is because those who controlled the money in the campaign kept trying to put a nice, palatable face on the advertising campaign. Don't dare scaring those voters by actually showing them the gay monsters they're voting against. Instead, trot out a mom saying, "I have a gay daughter and a straight daughter and both of them are equal in my eye," or trot out a straight couple saying, "We think it's unfair that our gay friends can't get married like we do." I think you should bring out someone like Charlene Strong, who can say, "My partner died scared and alone in an emergency room because the law refused to acknowledge that I was her family." Or, if you want a more positive spin, how 'bout Zach Wahls, the straight product of gay parents, who can talk about the barriers he overcame due the institutionalized bigotry his mothers faced.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Aug 11, 2012 1:18:32 AM

12. I would vote immediately to invite Zach Wahls to be a Convention speaker.

Posted by: chuck | Aug 11, 2012 3:45:47 PM