2012 Election | Abortion | Condoleezza Rice | Mitt Romney | Paul Ryan

BigGayDeal.com

Did Romney Pass Over Rice Because Of Abortion And Civil Unions?

RiceRNC

Once a presidential candidate picks his or her running mate, we, the voting public, are meant to believe there could be no other ticket. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, for example, are presented as a natural, inevitable match who can, they say, "restore America's promise". There were, according to this myth, no other potential veeps.

Of course that's not the case. Mitt Romney considered a long list potential running mates, a list that included Condoleezza Rice. Former Secretary of State Rice would have been a great fit: she's a seasoned diplomat with foreign policy experience, she could tap into the female voting bloc and she's well-respected and liked within her party. So, why didn't Rice get Ryan's spot? According to Radar Online, because Rice refused to back down on abortion and civil unions.

"Condi was fully vetted to become Mitt Romney's running mate and turned over financial records, including tax returns," a source told the site. "However, Mitt's advisers talked him out of it because Condi is pro-choice and she isn't willing to change her position on the controversial issue. Condi also supports same sex civil unions which again, put her at odds with Romney. Mitt had a hard time getting the ultra conservative support of the GOP and was told if he picked Condi that would immediately be lost and so he ultimately picked Congressman Paul Ryan to be his running mate."

But Rice fans should not fear, according to the source, the Stanford professor is reportedly planning a gubernatorial run in California. "She will continue to stump for [Romney] but she is very excited about the prospect of running for elected office for the first time in her life," said the source. "California still has very high unemployment and companies are leaving the Golden State because of very high taxes and regulations. Condi's position on social issues makes her a very viable candidate."

For those of you who may have missed Rice's speech at the Republican National Convention this week, I've included it AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. No, it's because she's a lesbian.

Posted by: um | Aug 31, 2012 12:07:16 PM

2. Rice, was the running mate I was most fearful of...

Now we'll have to contend w/ her in CA; a state that rivals DC for f'd up Legislature.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Aug 31, 2012 12:09:12 PM

3. He would never have picked her. Their theme has been to say that Obama does nothing but blame Bush for our problems. Choosing someone who was integral to that administration would be a disaster. And frankly, would have been very, very good for Obama.

That's not to say he won't pick her for a Cabinet position should he win.

Posted by: SamIAM | Aug 31, 2012 12:12:14 PM

4. A black lesbian on the GOP ticket? I'm laughing so hard I just fell out of Clints chair!!

Posted by: RDUB | Aug 31, 2012 12:14:10 PM

5. Many people outside of the United States, as well as inside the United States, think that she, along with others in the Bush Administration, should be brought to trial as war criminals. So that's another consideration.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 31, 2012 12:24:20 PM

6. oooo, she supports civil unions! welcome to 1995, y'all.

Posted by: redball | Aug 31, 2012 12:34:53 PM

7. All of the above.

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Aug 31, 2012 12:38:59 PM

8. I don't think she will run for governor of CA because that would be an actual job one has to perform in.

I also suspect that behind the scenes several people turned Romney down, for various reasons of their own, leaving him with no choice but Paul Ryan.

As a Sec'y of State Rice was a real zero. She bought new shoes and a dress and flew off to some foreign country to make a speech to a handful of foreign bureaucrats who dismissed her as nothing more than a school marm who normally lectures a bunch of teen-agers at Stanford.

I think she knows her limitations and is smart enough to appreciate having a comfortable slot at Stanford.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Aug 31, 2012 12:52:05 PM

9. This RNC propaganda fits neatly with the underlying narrative of the last two nights—look at us, we’re not racist and misogynist.

Posted by: Carlie | Aug 31, 2012 12:55:35 PM

10. Libs are hysterical this week. Gays screeching that Condi Rice is a lesbian like it's an insult. Gays accusing Clint Eastwood of Alzheimer's- so sad.

Posted by: Tom | Aug 31, 2012 12:58:30 PM

11. I feel that it is more likely that she would remind everyone of the Bush Administration. Romney probably wants to create his own aura.

Posted by: Isto | Aug 31, 2012 1:04:21 PM

12. Yes, Condi stills carries the stench of the Bush Administration with her wherever she goes. Plus, she's smarter than Romney, and, in GOP Land, that couldn't be allowed to happen.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 31, 2012 1:12:01 PM

13. In other words, by not choosing Ms. Rice, Romney has shown his true character: that of a full-fledged coward; a political prostitute who wants to be POTUS so badly that he will unabashedly sell himself to the highest bidder, will grovel before the most outrageous bigot, solely to garner the nomination of political party that is so un-American, so seditious, so hateful that after November, the American electorate, without blinking an eye, will toss it onto the trash-heap of American history.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 31, 2012 1:14:03 PM

14. There's also the possibility that she didn't want to do it. Being VP is often pointless. (Quick: who was VP under Ford or Bush 1? What has Biden done?) She knows that she can achieve her goals in other ways.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 31, 2012 1:22:19 PM

15. Sadly, half of the GOP would be aghast if they found out who she loves. Her shame in denying who she is even sadder. But the GOP has a long history of high-profile closet cases, who are complicit with or support anti-gay policies.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 31, 2012 1:35:23 PM

16. @Joe, I think most people in the GOP know she's a lesbian.

Posted by: Anthony | Aug 31, 2012 1:41:51 PM

17. He would never have picked her because she's black! Let alone all the other reasons.

Please leave us alone in California, Miss Rice. We don't need you unless it's as an escort to the Hague.

Posted by: Steve Sando | Aug 31, 2012 1:46:39 PM

18. VP is really something that could be done away with as a distinct post. In other countries a high ranking cabinet minister - such as the foreign minister - often doubles as second in line after the president or prime minister

Posted by: Steve | Aug 31, 2012 1:52:38 PM

19. A couple of posts today had videos, but the title didn't include the video tag... please be consistent.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 31, 2012 2:16:12 PM

20. @anthony half of the GOP may know she is a lesbian. But the other half is in active denial of condi's orientation...and of gay people's equality

Posted by: Joe | Aug 31, 2012 2:18:31 PM

21. Let's see...I'm a lez, so I believe in civil unions. I'm a woman, so I believe in a woman's right to choose. I'm black...sort of...so I believe in whatever is up and running on that front. And...I'm an american, so I believe the rest of the world should be submissive and follow our lead....right into hell if I say so because I'm rich, educated and the center of the universe.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Aug 31, 2012 2:46:24 PM

22. I have a sneaking suspicion that she would not have taken the vice presidential role anyway. She may have 'auditioned' for the part, but the distinction is more in being considered, not being chosen. Its why bland politicians like Tim Pawlenty and Mitch Daniels are constantly in the conversation.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 31, 2012 2:56:23 PM

23. If she's a lesbian, wouldn't she have some nice gay boys around who would have poo-pood that awful outfit with the darts in the wrong place?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Aug 31, 2012 3:07:47 PM

24. She wouldn't have taken it anyway. She's said she would never want to be in elected office. Also, she's not nearly as conservative as Romney... Or even the bush administration on many issues, other than foreign policy.

Posted by: AT | Aug 31, 2012 3:38:14 PM

25. "Let's see...I'm a lez, so I believe in civil unions. I'm a woman, so I believe in a woman's right to choose. I'm black...sort of...so I believe in whatever is up and running on that front. And...I'm an american, so I believe the rest of the world should be submissive and follow our lead....right into hell if I say so because I'm rich, educated and the center of the universe."

"I'm black...sort of...so I believe in whatever is up and running on that front.".....That would be affirmative action, without which she would never have held any of the positions she has ever had, including the current one.....

Posted by: Rick | Aug 31, 2012 3:53:43 PM