FBI Affidavit Reveals More Details About Floyd Corkins, FRC Shooting Charges

Corkins2

With Floyd Corkins officially charged for shooting a security guard at the Family Research Council's DC HQ yesterday, we're receiving more information not only on the crimes for which he's been tried, but also details about the shooting, including confirmation that he had 15 Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his bag, and his parents' reaction.

From ABC News:

Corkins was charged with assault with intent to kill and bringing firearms across state and was expected to appear later Thursday in federal court.

Corkins lived with his parents in Herndon and had recently been volunteering at a D.C. community center for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. He told the guard words to the effect of, "I don't like your politics" and pulled a handgun from his backpack, according to an FBI affidavit.

Besides a box of ammunition, authorities also found 15 sandwiches from Chick-fil-A, the fast-food chain that has landed at the center of a national cultural debate over gay marriage.

Corkins' parents told FBI agents that he has "strong opinions with respect to those he believes do not treat homosexuals in a fair manner," the complaint says.

The assault charge carries up to 30 years in prison and the weapons charge has a 10-year maximum sentence. It wasn't immediately clear if Corkins had a lawyer.

The guard who was shot in the left arm, 46-year old man Leo Johnson, is "resting comfortably" at the hospital and is being hailed as a hero by FRC president Tony Perkins, "This hero business is hard work."

For once the right wing big-wig is 100% correct.

Comments

1. Ryan says

This is a sad event. I would like to see this man tried under a hate crimes law as I think this would send a powerful message to both sides. The right-wing groups often decry the gays as getting “special rights,” and if this had been a shooter at the HRC headquarters it likely would be billed as a hate crime. This man’s actions are just as heinous and should be treated as such.

2. Watcher says

It is an interesting question if political violence (which this is) qualifies as a hate crime. I’m inclined to say no in this case, since he was not targeting the FRC because they were heterosexual. Perhaps another poster might know the law better, but the fact that the FBI is involved in investigating this shooting suggests to me that political violence is treated differently than hate crimes. In any case, a message needs to be sent that violence of any kind is not acceptable.

3. Yeek says

If ‘political belief’ is a hate crime category, and he truly did say “I don’t like your politics” as he shot that guy, then throw the book at him. Hard.

4. Yeek says

5. MikeH says

I don’t condone violence. No one deserves to be shot, regardless of how evil they are – however, I’m neither shocked nor surprised. The wingnuts have been perpetrating violence against women’s choice, minorities (including LGBT folk) for years. Unfortunately, wingnuts don’t have exclusivity to mentally unstable people. The relentless bigotry which comes from these hate groups just fans the flames. Let’s be certain about one thing though… The FRC is a hate group. They attempt to hide their bigotry in the righteous cloak of religious freedom. We have free speech in this country but when you consistently tell people they are inferior and don’t deserve the same rights as you have, eventually someone will snap. I don’t condone violence. No one deserves to be shot. What the press should do is to focus peoples attention to what the FRC truly is… a good analogy to bring it into focus would be if this were the KKK headquarters.

6. MikeH says

One more thing… Just watch Fox News and the rhetoric coming from the wingnuts; especially talk radio. The not so subtle imagery regarding gun violence. They’re egging it on…

7. Polyboy says

One lone nutter isn’t a conspiracy as much the wingnuts want. We should not back down, hell we should list all of the gays and lesbians who have been brutalized and then ask them why they spread hate.

8. Derek says

so the soother of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is considered a hate crime?…I do not recall anyone even suggesting that idea..the guys is crazy but his reasons were because of her political views…

…why are they suggesting hate crime on political view in this situation?

to me is not a hate crime based on the law at this moment…but this guy should be punish for what he did…

we need to fight for out rights agressively but not with any kind of violence…

9. Derrick from Philly says

“What an embarrassment! Typical Democrat nutcase”

You’re right– a right-wing Republican nutcase wouldn’t have been satisfied with shooting one person in the arm. They would have killed atlease a dozen.

And a stingy-azz Republican would have never thought about bringing chicken sandwiches to feed the survivors.

10. Fenrox says

Ryan, and what does our side need to learn from this exactly? That we are too frivolous with hate crime legislation? that gay people need to think before they use hate crime legislation? I don’t see two sides here, I see an antiquated look at hate crime legislation and some assholes that finally goaded a shooter. As nobody died, color me uncaring.

11. Nat says

With the world the way it is… I can’t get the idea that this was somehow a right-wing nutjob plant out of my head. Many people will disagree with me, but I believe that 9/11 was an inside job by warmongers who make money off the death of people and war.

Some part of me feels like this was somehow all planned out–such a bizarre event with crazy details.

One way or another though, that creature does not in any way represent me or my values. NOM and FRC though will be milking this till its dry.

12. Shelly says

I agree, Nat. This all sounds weirdly “perfect” and stilted. I do know bias colors everyone’s perceptions of reality and it’s a common reaction for someone to feel like it couldn’t really be “one of us” that did that so it must be an “inside job” conspiracy theory, but nothing about this sound right to me. It’s all fishy as hell.

13. RandyOwen says

Ok first off, my thoughts are with the injured guard and I hope he recovers fully and completely soon. This was a horrible act, and they should throw the book at Floyd.
    I really want to believe that this guy is someone who became unhinged and worked on his own to attack the FRC. I think we have all had, at our darker moments, feelings of Rage and Frustration with this group and the entire religious right because of the things they do and say in the name of “Jesus”, who was pretty clear on the love thy neighbor thing (though the right doesn’t get that part of his message). The majority of us realize those feelings are just our darker side and get over it and realize how happy we are that they will never know the joy of being a real human being in a world full of promise.
    However there is a tiny little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying something is not right. Maybe it’s just because I don’t want to believe that someone on “our” side would do this (I know that is foolish, there are crazies everywhere); maybe it is just my deep distrust of anything involving the FRC. These people have shown themselves to be deceitful and manipulative in the past.
    This added explanation only makes that voice a little louder. This Floyd guy had “recently been volunteering at a D.C. community center for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people” and his parents say “he has strong opinions with respect to those he believes do not treat homosexuals in a fair manner.” Did he just come over to our cause? Had he been a lifelong advocate? And the comment from his parents using the term homosexual just doesn’t sit right. I know plenty of older people who are on our side and struggle to use the right terms in the right places; my grandparents are very supportive, but it is always kind of funny when they try to say things and then realize they may have been offensive while trying to be supportive, it’s just vocabulary so it is highly possible they are being sincere in explaining what they thought their sons motivation was.
    I don’t know; do I believe that Tony Perkins could have found some guy a couple of years ago and started planning for when something like this would have the most impact. Could he have found a guard willing to take one for the team? Could Tony have set this all up to happen just when it could have the most impact? I think the answer is yes he COULD have, anyone could have. I am stuck with trying to decide if he WOULD have done it… I hope that the deeper the investigation goes they find that this was just an unhinged man with a crazy plan, I really do. I just don’t trust Tony Perkins, and anything he says I automatically put into my skeptical analysis pile… I guess that is the bed Tony has made for himself.

14. kpo5 says

If his parents refer to him as a “homosexual,” he’s probably had anger towards the anti-gay sentiment his entire life…or, going down the conspiracy theory path, they didn’t do their homework.

Either way, violence = bad. Right wingers trying to claim ‘we’re even now’ or ‘we’re such victims’ = nauseating.

15. kpo5 says

“I just don’t trust Tony Perkins, and anything he says I automatically put into my skeptical analysis pile… I guess that is the bed Tony has made for himself.”

Agree 100% with you there.

16. EchtKultig says

“wingnuts don’t have exclusivity to mentally unstable people.”
    But as I keep pointing out, of course to some degree they DO have the majority of violent, anti-social psychopaths. You only kill an abortion doctor because “God told you to do so” and you have to believe in God before God can tell you anything. Left-wing terrorism/hate crimes of this type are EXCEEDINGLY rare in the US.

17. EchtKultig says

” And the comment from his parents using the term homosexual just doesn’t sit right.”

TOTALLY agree. This could actually be a formerly deeply closeted person’s way of lashing out at the gay community, in an extremely perverse and misguided way. White people in Herndon proper would most definitely tend to be blue collar, tea party republicans.

18. Yeek says

Conspiracy theories are popular because they are flattering. They imply that we have such vast potential that an entire shadow organization exists to keep us from realizing our full potential or to make us look bad. The alternative – that our lack of progress or embarrassing failures are our own fault, not someone else’s – is a tough thing to face. But I think it’s the most likely explanation, and we’d better prepared to face it. It’s entirely
    possible that a crazy, inept, gay martyr wannabe brutalized someone because he wanted to.

19. Jack says

@Yeek:

Sexual orientation is just that. It doesn’t mean that you’re automatically a nice person who shits rainbows and sunflowers.

20. RxR says

Watching CNN at this moment and they are about to give Tony Perkins another freaking close up… What is CNN doing? Here I was so thrilled with Anderson and his coming out, I do appreciate most of their pretty decent and unbiased reporting, and now they give the Grand Wizard Tony Perkins MORE air time!! Simply so that he can further his life long pursuit of denigrating millions of human beings, LGBT people and their friends, families and children!!!! Something’s gotta give, when do we get our fair shake, our freedom to live, our equal rights? When?

21. Jack says

@Rxr:

Like him or not, he heads up an organization that was attacked by a gunman. He’s going to get time, because frankly, it’s news. Get over it.

22. Jack says

@RXR, and by the way, if they didn’t report the news and give the head of the organization the airtime that the head of any other org that got shot up would get, guess what that would be…

Biased reporting, the thing you claim to not like (or is it that you only like when it’s biased toward your point of view?)

23. kpo5 says

“THANK YOU. The fact that some people can’t recognize that we aren’t immune from people “like us” doing something like this is flabbergasting.”

No one is saying this is “definitely” a false flag.

Those of us who haven’t ruled it out yet have a pretty good reason not to trust everything that comes from the NOM/AFA/FRC arena. Isn’t there a story that was just posted about the Prop H8 campaign’s improper disclosures? And how about the sketchy Regnerus study? What about NOM always refusing to show us their donors? What about always parroting debunked talking points? What about wanting to “drive a wedge” between the black and gay community?

Yes, this very well could have been a disturbed individual who considers himself “one of us.” But given the history of these organizations, no one is out of line to question their credibility.

24. RandyOwen says

@ Yeek
    Very true and that’s the very reason I hope he was just a misguided unhinged guy. It is the most plausible explanation, if it were Donald Trump targeted, or Wall Street, or even some republican congressman I doubt I would have thought of it. But this time it was Tony Perkins’ organization, a man who makes his living off of manipulation and lies, who actively misrepresents facts to suit his needs. I still think with 98% of my mind that this was just a crazy guy, but Tony himself put that 2% of doubt in my mind that he would do something like this. I certainly don’t advocate a full investigation that would be a waste of money and resources, but I also would not close my eyes on this for a while, just keep our eyes open. Of course we should never take our eyes of Tony, he is a slippery little devil.

25. Shelly says

Jack, as I noted in my first post, I am well aware of potential bias skewing my view and have noted other’s saying exactly the same thing. I am not claiming for sure this is an inside job of some sort, but it all strikes me just a little too “Alleged Terrorist’s Parents Confirm He Has Always Hated Americans for their Freedom” to take at face-value right now.

26. derrysf says

Seems that this shooter is yet another disturbed guy acting out. Regardless of the incident’s genesis, this shooting is a HUGE gift to the hard right only months before a critical election. It has now been ‘proven’ that Christians are indeed threatened and under attack, etc. etc.

27. Gregoire says

Why is it hard for some of you to admit this is just a crazy person that just happens to lean towards your view points more than last week’s gunman-of-the-week?

Trust, next week we’ll be back to your regularly scheduled program.

28. RandyOwen says

@ Gregoire
    I don’t think anyone has a problem thinking that Floyd is a crazy person, or that he may have even been thinking he was doing right for the side of equality. The issue is that we have watched Tony Perkins for too long, we have seen the things the right does for too long. That is who we are questioning, we all know the obvious answer is probably right, but that doubt is well placed because of the things we have watched them do for so long. If this had happened a year ago, or a year from now maybe we would not think it, but it happened now, when they can use it for all its worth (and they will). Just dismissing the possibility that they set this up is foolish, even though they probably did not. These people are snakes, they thrive on the underbelly of human kind, prey on the fear that lies in all humans. We have seen to much, call it PTSD if it will make you feel better, but the doubt is valid giving their actions in the past.

29. EchtKultig says

Agree with Randy and DerrySF. It would be native to rule out some kind of false flag operation. That doesn’t mean I believe it, it just means I’m not ruling it out. As I’ve said before, the election of Barack Obama was a bee sting in the butt to the right-wing smear machine that tried to bring him down in 2008. They were taken by surprise. They’ve had four years to scheme up a show-stopper for 2012. Could this be part of that? It could be. In 2000, Rove flew a bunch of Republican staffers down to Florida to stage a mock protest about the FL Supreme court having a recount. That wasn’t a “conspiracy”, it was a reality. That was 12 years ago, folks! There’s been plenty of time to perfect their techniques. They could have either planted this guy at the gay rights group for a few months to lend him LGBT cred, and/or used an operative to manipulate him into doing it.
    In any case, even if it is what it appears to be, is the “liberal” media going to point out that there are over 2000 anti-gay hate crimes in the US every year? And that this would be the first anti-evangelical attack in like, ever?

30. Rawn says

RobRoberts is correct. The Bible is speaking to the FRC. They have begun to reap what they sowed. They should repent their sins and ask for the LGBT community’s forgiveness.

31. Shelly says

What scares me most is reading the sheer irrationality of the vitriol from both sides in comment sections on things like this lately — knee-jerk tribalistic demonization of “the other,” and things keep spiraling in vicious circles as everybody becomes increasingly paranoid and spouts off even more viciously at one another. I keep thinking we’re on the brink of civil war because every time some far-out nutjob does something awful half the country blames it on the entire other half rather. The internet was hailed as giving everyone a public voice, but it seems the only voices that ever actually get heard are the most antisocial and unreasonable.

32. Rick says

Let me pose a question here. If he had confronted Tony Perkins in the parking lot and attacked him with his fists–as opposed to taking a weapon into the building and shooting a security guard–would you all still be saying “violence is wrong”?

If so, then you are nothing but a bunch of pu$$ies and deserve to continue to be walked all over by society.

Let me tell you something about people. They are not fundamentally good. They are not fundamentally fair. They are not fundamentally empathetic. They are fundamentally selfish and there are therefore only two ways to bring about REAL social change–you can either show people how their self-interest will be enhanced by making the change you want them to make…..OR you can make them fearful of the consequences of not changing.

That’s it. Appeals to “fairness” never work, not really.

The only reason we have finally begun to see SOME movement in our direction recently is NOT because people care about “fairness”–it is because many straight men have begun to realize that a homophobic male culture effects THEM negatively by making them dependent on women–emotionally and socially, as well as sexually–in such a way that it detracts from their social power–and in turn, from their political and economic power–which the onset of feminism has begun to demonstrate to them.

NOT because they just woke up one morning and decided suddenly that sucking d!ck is suddenly a cool thing.

And violence? If we had become violent long ago, we would have made far more progress than we have thus far……it was violence that propelled the civil rights movement forward, it was violence that brought about democracy and human rights in the West (see the French and American revolutions); it is violence that brings about most real social change.

More importantly, being willing to confront the Tony Perkins of the world with violence would earn us masculinity cred that we lack with the same straight men who are desirous of doing away with a homophobic male culture for their own reasons (see above paragraph), helping to eliminate the main barrier to them dispensing with homophobia–namely the notion that homosexuality and masculinity are incompatible.

So, in conclusion, yes, draw the line at trying to kill people, but do NOT reject violence outright as inherently wrong. It is often right and beneficial and it would have been perfectly justified for this guy or any other to attack Tony Perkins physically and make a bloody mess of him in a parking lot, stopping short of actually ending his life. Not only justified, but smart strategically.

33. Randy says

Congratulations, Mr. Cathy. You have turned your chicken sandwich empire into a symbol of gay hate. You have lost control over your messaging and now have allowed others to define your company for you. For now until many years from now, Chickfil-a and anti-gay hate will be viewed as one and the same.

We now have a symbol for anti-gay hate — just show a CFA sandwich, and everyone, regardless of your actual viewpoint on gays or marriage equality, knows what you mean. It has become a shorthand for hate.

In time, I wouldn’t doubt if a CFA sandwich morphs into general hate. All it takes is one of your supporters to throw your sandwich at a muslim, or a black person, or anyone else, and that will cement it as an hate organization.

And you won’t be able to get out from under it.

34. andrew says

@Yeek: I couldn’t agree with you more. A voice of reason on this site which is filled with the rants of Rick, Jason, Ratbastard, Little Kiwi and a host of other unreasonable and mean spirited ranters is surely refreshing.

35. Les says

“What an embarrassment! Typical Democrat nutcase”

Wildly INACCURATE…..name someone who was a conservative, politically that went off the deep end like YOUR lil FATBOY did….stinky-AZZ liberal….and the food was for the FATBOY…FOOL.

36. Ray Sager says

I see the Republican trolls are out in full force just dribbling and drooling all over this. I think someone on here suggested a rather shadowy conspiracy theory, which I tend to agree with since I have had that very same thought. This shooting seemed too well plotted out yet poorly executed of a plan. Why just shoot a security guard and then surrender? Why not go after the main target, which would have been Tony Perkins? Any gay or lesbian worth their salt would have gone that path instead of shooting just one measly low life security guard.

And what was up with the Chik-fil-a’s? I’m not sure what message this lone gunman was trying to send to Family Research Council. Perhaps none…who knows. If this was me planning this out, I would have first tailed Tony Perkins, gotten his schedule down pat so I know his comings and goings and where he travels to, then arranged a false meeting with him under the guise of being on his side of the issue, then lured him to a secluded area…and then spring the trap…KA POW…no more Perkins! (Rubs hands gleefully and does a gig to the end of bigotry as we know it)

Seriously,though, I honestly believe this was a plant used to incite Tony Perkins and his ilk into believing that gay and lesbians are dangerous to the extreme right wing. It worked well for Dubyah and 9/11…why not with this?