Discrimination | FOX News | Nevada | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Fox Radio Station Sacks Host For Pro-Gay Interview

SeanSavoyThere's a silver lining in this story. The website LGBTQ Nation reports that Reno-based Fox Radio affiliate KKFT-FM fired long-time host Sean Savoy after he brought Dallas-based gay activist Will Kolb onto his "House of Savoy" program earlier this month.

According to Savoy and his producer, Eddie Floyd, station manager Jerry Evans didn't appreciate the positive things being said about gay people, so he just called the whole thing off. Savoy is displeased, to say the least.

"I have always appreciated the variety of viewpoints expressed on my program. To think I could be removed for having a conversation about the LGBT community in America baffles me. I have conducted a variety of interviews with a wide range of people over the past year, and yet this was the topic that got my show cancelled," he said.

"Mr. Evans and his company certainly have the right to control their opinion. But censoring any message that benefits the LGBT community is wrong and detracts from basic human rights. It means that he is gate keeping and not allowing the public to make their own informed decisions."

So, where is the silver lining? Well, Savoy, an ordained minister, has used the occasion to finally come out of the closet.

Savoy had not made the decision to come out until earlier this year, and said there was considerable “soul searching,” as well as intense discussions with his inner circle, including his family and his partner.

At the time he was sacked, Savoy acknowledged that he was still hiding the fact that he is gay.

Savoy added that while he lived as a straight man, he found himself desiring a much more fulfilling life that wasn’t based on deception and was true to his sexual orientation.

GLAAD is currently trying to raise attention to KKFT's actions, which organization president Herndon Graddick described as "blatant discrimination" that "[sends] a dangerous message that they believe LGBT people shouldn't be given voice or afforded basic respect."

Comments

1. Who knew something good could come out of working for Faux News? I predict Mr. Savoy will enjoy living his true life better than peddling Fox's particularly stinky brand of s**t.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 30, 2012 2:21:12 PM

2. How can he claim to have been living "as a straight man" while he had a partner? Does "living as a straight man" include having sex with a man?

Posted by: Tim NC | Aug 30, 2012 2:25:18 PM

3. Swoon! He looks like Wesley Wyndam Pryce...

Posted by: Feral | Aug 30, 2012 2:27:12 PM

4. to that, TIM, how can he have claimed to live as a Christian when he was breaking the Ninth Commandment every minute of his life via that Lie?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 2:28:08 PM

5. ..another "let applaud the cowardly living-as-straight-so-he-could-reap-the-benefits-of-straight-white-priviledge" queen...oh, let us not forget he's a PASTOR but I guess the whole "thou shalt not live a lie" whilst preaching to others was just an inconvenient truth. Boo.

Posted by: Marty | Aug 30, 2012 2:31:56 PM

6. that's what always irks me about these types, Marty.

If one is Closeted, and a "Christian" they prove that they have no faith in God, and only a fear of humans who claim to have a faith in God.

you can't break the ninth commandment with every waking breath and then claim that you care about What God Thinks. God would know you're breaking His commandment. So you're doomed. The lie? To appease mere mortals.

but i stopped looking for logic, reason and consistency within the conservative-religious communities a LOOOOONG time ago.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 2:36:43 PM

7. Does Towleroad once, ever, try to get the opposite side of the story before clutching thier pearls and reaching for the smelling salts?

I mean, ever?

Posted by: MarkUs | Aug 30, 2012 2:45:36 PM

8. do trolls like you, Markus, ever put a face and name to your comments to prove that you're not just testicle-deprived worthless cowards terrified of GOP-voting Mommy and Daddy?

I mean, ever?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 2:56:03 PM

9. Markus, I'm curious as to which part of the story is not being told. It quotes Savoy for 2 paragraphs, so it's telling his side of the story. Is it the side of the right-wing's beloved Fox station not being told? From the way you're clutching your pearls it must be something important, so please do tell.

Posted by: antb | Aug 30, 2012 2:59:22 PM

10. WTF with the comments?!? First let me say that i wish this guy the best, it is not always easy to find ones true self, congratulations on making this far Mr. Savoy, it all gets more fulfilling from here. Now on to why i needed to comment: Who the hell gave LittleKiwi the right to judge anyone's life? Do you know what his life has been like, do you know what demons he has had to deal with to learn to come out and accept himself. I am guessing you are fairly young and had a fairly easy time coming out. That is a sign of all the work that the tens of thousands of gay mean and women who have fallen before you were born, beaten down just for looking a little "fey" or for living out loud was for something. All so that you could live in the "privileged" world that allowed you to have a fairly easy coming out with all the love and support you needed. You have no idea what this man has been through and neither do i. With this announcement that he came out of the closet your first comment is to tear at his faith and degrade his struggle to learn who he is? Your comments used to seem much funnier, but lately you have become more of a troll then Rick, get off your self righteous soapbox and learn how to welcome someone into the community. You are really coming off as a prick. If i am wrong about your age and your coming out history than i am sorry but then you have no excuse for being such a little S@#t.

Posted by: RandyOwen | Aug 30, 2012 3:07:48 PM

11. I'm not forgetting he's a pastor, Marty. But if you're going to judge him by that standard, he's come out and should be forgiven if he "sins no more."

One more out of the closet is pretty much an absolute good, and a quick search in Google turned up no sign of his having made a career out of hating LGBT people.

Another guy associated with Fox/Republicans comes out. I'm just surprised it's news anymore.

Posted by: Rawn | Aug 30, 2012 3:18:26 PM

12. I would suggest sending a short complaint letter or email to the station. They are required by FCC rules to put those things in their public file. Then these complaint letters could be used against them when their license comes up for renewal.

Posted by: Tony | Aug 30, 2012 3:20:30 PM

13. hey, "RandyOwen", click my name to see who (and what...) I am, where I share my own stories.

Who am I to judge? Oh, Mary, chill out. I'm using the logic of these men - what "faith" can one have if they're flagrantly disobeying the Ninth Commandment on a daily basis?

Do I know what demons he's had to deal with? Yes. He had to live a lie in order to hold his job with Fox and his position as a Pastor. Duh.

I'm part of the demographic of our community that gets labeled the "neighbourhood fa**ot" at a young age. I've been Out, fully, since I was a teen in high school.

This man in the story? Living a lie, while young people take up the slack. I work my @ss off living an open life and guys like this live a lie to save their own @ss.

I'm well aware of the hard work done by LGBT people in the decades before I was born. That's why I live Out.

you're more than free, "RandyOwen", to do exactly what I do - provide the link to who you are so you can share your own story.

But I have little sympathy for grown adults who continue to live a lie, in 2012 in north america, because they've made an elective choice to work for, and be a part of, conservative and anti-gay circles.

so suck on that.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 3:22:45 PM

14. A friend told me last week that his Mormon sister said she will never accept him if he chooses to live "as a gay man.".
    She doesn't understand that he has no choice in this lifetime but to live "as a gay man."
    He could be married to a man and keep it a secret and lie to people with his gender pronouns; he could decide to be a gay man who goes to a monastery and lives a celebate and silent life on a hill in Tibet; he could live like Josh Weed, the gay Mormon man who is married to a heterosexual Mormon woman who accepts that her husband is only attracted to males. No matter whst he does, he's still a GAY man and he can not live "as a straight man" any more than a tall person can live "as a dwarf."

Posted by: GregV | Aug 30, 2012 3:24:55 PM

15. I'm expecting conservative Christians to launch an "appreciation day" to support Savoy's "free speech" rights in exactly... never.

Posted by: esperando | Aug 30, 2012 3:28:14 PM

16. well said, Greg.

you're a homosexual the day you're born and you'll be one until the day you die, whether you ever admit it, "act on it", or not.

the irony that we're told we're choosing to be gay by people who make the elective choice to follow a religion is just too fitting.

getting into sexual specifics with these types is often interesting, too.

for once i'd love the hear the plainly-stated logic wherein it's "holy" for a woman to give a man oral sex but Suddenly Sinful when two men or two women do it.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 3:29:43 PM

17. So little kiwi,
    You got treated like crap so now you have to treat other people with different paths and lives than you like crap when they finally come around to the same place you are? How evolved of you. No i don't have a webpage to pour my life story out to the world, and have no interest in reading about your life. I have no need to validate my existence with the internet, i validate my life with my husband and our friends. Living in the real world, dealing with people who did not grow up in 2012, Many who grew up before cell phones were prevalent "GASP" some came out late in life some early, but we all respect each others path to their full life. Some were bad people to the homosexual community before coming out and some were not, all however have grown from the experience and treat each other as family now. You are acting like a spoiled child. As another poster said there is no evidence that this guy ever was homo-hostile, in fact he was fired for trying to bring balance on the subject. Why you want to hate on a new family member is beyond me, save that for the insipid Goproud boys, they deserve it.

Posted by: RandyOwen | Aug 30, 2012 3:41:41 PM

18. Markus, what side isn't being told?

Posted by: J. | Aug 30, 2012 3:43:48 PM

19. JOIN US

Posted by: nico | Aug 30, 2012 3:55:24 PM

20. *yawn*

i was pointing out the mere theological reality - the man cares more about lowly mortals than the so-called God he claims to have faith in.

after all, those who have faith in God care not what mere mortals think, and would not dare to disobey God by breaking the 9th Commandment, every day.

yes. he was fired by a company that he knew was anti-gay. how did he know? he wasn't Out to them.

see also: "Man turns on stove, touches it, and is shocked to find his fingers burned"

whatever your path in life is, the sheer reality that so-called religious people knowingly, flagrantly, break the 9th Commandment with such a laissez-faire attitude only proves me right - they don't care about the God they worship, they care about the opinions of the mortals that also claim to worship that God.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 3:57:31 PM

21. And your comments seem to prove you don't care about the gay community as much as you care about your own opinions.

Posted by: RandyOwen | Aug 30, 2012 4:03:10 PM

22. i care enough to not be a grown-adult who lives a lie in order to save my own ass, Randy.

:D

Out and Proud and V I S I B L E since before I could grow chest hair.

the ones who don't care about the gay community as much as their own opinion? um, that's those who continue to give excuses for not being Out. ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 4:13:40 PM

23. @Little Kiwi: just because you're not anonymous, doesn't mean you're not trolling. I frankly don't care about YOUR story if you're going to be so judgmental and negative all the time. You respond multiple times to many of these Towleroad articles, but most of the time it seems you're just here to start a fight and pass judgment on us all for not writing a blog and seeking attention over it.

The guy is no longer living a lie, and it's possible that he's asked his god for forgiveness, and his god granted it. Who knows? Who cares? It's a stupid thing to judge someone for AFTER they've come out of the closet, especially if it's someone who was clearly trying to do good things for gay people before he came out.

Sheesh.

Posted by: RandySf | Aug 30, 2012 4:31:20 PM

24. Hey everyone, this is a good and ultimately positive story. Forget about Little Kiwi and his godawful personality. Everyone gets sick of his tirades...he's rich, spoiled, jobless and idle, unaquainted with most peope's reality. That's what he sucks on.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 30, 2012 4:37:26 PM

25. Some of the comments on this post are very upsetting. Let's look at a couple things here:

1. Nobody knows why Savoy had a show on that station, versus another station. ADDITIONALLY, for all the talk about Savoy being a FOX host, does anybody have any proof of him being anti-LGBT in the past? Has anyone listened to his other shows?

2. Savoy talked about LGBT stuff in a good light and that's what lead to his cancellation, according to this article. It's not like he was outed for some clandestine reason, like some in the past have been. Also, nowhere is anybody reporting that Savoy was some sort of FOX mouthpiece who was pushing their far-right agenda. According to LGBTQNation, he was a host of a Public Affairs show, not some conservative/religious talk show.

3. It isn't right or fair to judge another for his coming out process. So what if it took him until this to come out? We don't know his personal story and his personal journey. We don't have any details about his family, his personal life or anything else and it's wrong for other LGBTs to pass judgement just because Savoy didn't come out when he was a teenager. We have all had our own journey, Savoy has his. This has to be horrible for him. Let's support him, not defame him for not doing it the way we may have.

4. For those of you who choose to judge Savoy for being a member of the church and closeted, how do you feel about those who are/were military and closeted? Does your vitriol extend to them too? What about LGBT teens who are too afraid to come out in school? Do you hate on them too for not coming out when you did?

Let's stop judging Sean Savoy and start taking action against the station owner who silenced him.

My name is Cody Jackson, I'm a gay American, and I stand with Sean Savoy.

Posted by: CJackson | Aug 30, 2012 4:38:44 PM