2012 Election | Barack Obama | News

Harris Poll Shows Obama Support Slips 6 Points Among LGBT Voters

ObamagaypinIf President Obama thought coming out for marriage equality would clinch the LGBT vote, he thought wrong. A new poll shows support among self-identified LGBT voters has dropped by at least 6 points since 2008.

Via The Washington Blade:

A new national poll of likely LGBT voters indicates that support for President Obama has dropped to 67 percent, a decline of at least six percentage points since 2008.

Gays and lesbians, same as all voters, are most concerned about the economy, jobs and unemployment, according to a Harris Interactive poll commissioned by Logo TV released on Aug. 21. Only nine percent of us rank “gay rights in general” as being most important, with marriage equality rated that way by a mere six percent.

...

While two-thirds of LGBT voters plan to vote to re-elect Obama, nearly 1-in-4 would be more likely to vote for Romney if he held the same positions as the president on same-sex marriage and other LGBT issues.

It's possible, notes journo Mark Lee, that this decreased support for Obama among LGBT voters may be that many LGBT people are small business owners and that only 35% of small business owners are backing the president's reelection bid.

Comments

1. Who the hell do they call for these polls? Do most LGBT people still have land lines? We haven't had a landline for 4 years.

Posted by: RONTEX | Aug 30, 2012 12:27:19 PM

2. I think it also depends on the age range of the respondents. Boomers, IMO, are likely to not care about "rights" and what not as much as younger gays.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Aug 30, 2012 12:28:44 PM

3. @HOMO GENIUS WTF are you talking about?

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 30, 2012 12:31:56 PM

4. I genuinely wonder what these LGBT people think Obama might have done for them that he didnt. And how much they think Romney might do for them in return.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 30, 2012 12:33:22 PM

5. Homo Genius makes perfect sense. I live here in AZ and it's amazing to see how many Republican Gays that don't like Obama here.
    I think they suffer from sun-stroke because they're more worried about their family's money, meaning what they stand to get as inheritance, more than actual rights for themselves. Oh there's that other thing (whisper: he's black).

Posted by: Jakeinlove | Aug 30, 2012 12:36:35 PM

6. Maybe it's me...and it well could be, but... How is it that an LGBT person would not think about their rights as Americans as the most important issue. It can affect every other aspect of their lives, especially in states that do not protect them from discrimination.
    Your personal economy, your job and your taxes are all affected by your rights, or lack thereof.
    I do agree with some of the fiscal conservative concepts that are normally the mainstay of Repulican politics (but Mittens and P90X Ryan are nuts and too far right for me), but I will NEVER vote for someone who does not believe that I am an equal citizen of this country.

Posted by: Brendan | Aug 30, 2012 12:39:35 PM

7. This result is counter-intuitive and does not state a margin-of-error or sample-size. A poll commissioned by LOGO is somewhat suspect in its sample population anyway. I am dubious of this result.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Aug 30, 2012 12:40:04 PM

8. I'll vote for Obama over Romney but the enthusiasm isn't there. I really do hope Hillary runs in 2016.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 30, 2012 12:40:51 PM

9. Sadly, there are gay people who will vote for Romney because they like how Ron Paul looks :-/

Posted by: zeddy | Aug 30, 2012 12:43:17 PM

10. Try Gary Johnson. He's pro-marriage equality.

And more sane than either of the two moron major party candidates.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 30, 2012 12:43:37 PM

11. IF the question was posed with the qualifier:

"more likely to vote for Romney if he held the same positions as the president on same-sex marriage and other LGBT issues"

...then it's an idiotic poll. We all know that's not the case, so why even ask that kind of question?

Posted by: johnny | Aug 30, 2012 12:44:00 PM

12. @Homo genius, you got it twisted genius, it's the other way around. Older gays are MORE likely to care about our rights than younger gays because they have been through much worse discrimination than we face today.

Posted by: Luke | Aug 30, 2012 12:46:13 PM

13. I agree. It's a stupid misleading question. This hardly warrants as news. Mittens and p90X are such nutbags I am not above punching any of my gay friends in the nose if they even DARE to tell me they are voting for them because of their "money". Obama ain't perfect, but he's not Satan either. And let's not forget that Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed on his watch. If McCain had been there, it would NEVER have happened. Mittens, P90X and the Tealiban will have us in camps before they're done.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 30, 2012 12:49:33 PM

14. I'm a democrat not because of gay rights issues (although, of course, that is my #1 deciding factor at the moment) but because of the rest of the platform. Even after the Supreme Court affords us our dignity (gee thanks), I will still vote for the party which supports social services, women's rights, environmental protection, gun control, universal health care and all the other non-gay things that I believe a decent human being should support. I think these important issues are getting overshadowed by the sensationalist pearl-clutching tactics of recent politics.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER | Aug 30, 2012 12:52:53 PM

15. Harris poll is a freaking internet poll

= BS...seriously an internet poll is the source

ROFLMAO bad reporter bad bad reporter No one ever uses an internet poll....they always get freeped and no real reporter ever sites an internet poll. The Washington blade needs to fire the guy
    ---------------------------------------

Nate Silver has Obama 300.04 electoral votes (need 270 to win) and romney at 237.6 with romney to win all 3 fl, va, and ohio yet all 3 are Obama ahead

Nate has Obama at 70.4% chance of win if election today and the dem convention bounce hasn't even happened yet

Posted by: say what | Aug 30, 2012 12:53:01 PM

16. typo

should have said with romney NEEDING to win fl, va, and ohio

Posted by: say what | Aug 30, 2012 12:53:51 PM

17. Racism. Pure and simple.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 30, 2012 12:55:21 PM

18. and here you go to wikki on Harris poll

a freaking internet poll and the company is incorporated in singapore

\ROFLMAO

bad reporting by the blade and sorry andy, but bad reporting by you on covering this

No one in their right mind would rely on an internet polling company let alone one not even incorporated here in the US

Posted by: say what | Aug 30, 2012 12:56:04 PM

19. I repeat -- but this bears repeating: A pole without a sample-size or margin-of error is automatically suspect. The fact that it is an on-line pole would lead one to believe that the results are subject to trolling/spamming as well, and there is no mention of any safeguards in the article. This news is a non-starter and should be ignored.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Aug 30, 2012 12:57:47 PM

20. I meant 'poll' obviously.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Aug 30, 2012 12:58:19 PM

21. as a 52yr old Gay American - My RIGHTS are #1 before anythnig else....

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 30, 2012 12:59:29 PM

22. Another possible explanation? GLBT people can be just as stupid as anyone else.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 30, 2012 1:01:53 PM

23. I messed up on 1 part

the incorporated ins ingapore

that was a company harris acquired in 2007

LOL I need coffee

but Harris is an internet pollster = LOL

Posted by: say what | Aug 30, 2012 1:02:12 PM

24. It is beyond my comprehension that any gay or lesbian person would vote for Romney, or not vote for Obama. I guess if you have Romney type money you're somewhat shielded from discrimination, but don't be so sure. As "DisgustedAmerican" said, my rights are more important than anything else. If you have no rights, what difference does anything else make?

Posted by: rick | Aug 30, 2012 1:04:16 PM

25. thank you Say What and Alex P for clarifying what this poll is and where it came from.

Andrew B, why is a non-credible poll worth littering up the page, exactly?

Posted by: antb | Aug 30, 2012 1:04:25 PM