Gay Marriage | Kristen Bell | News

Kristen Bell And Dax Shepard Say It's 'Tacky' To Marry When Gays Can't: VIDEO

BellShepard

Like other Hollywood couples before them, sloth-loving actress Kristen Bell and fiance Dax Shepard have vowed not to marry until same-sex couples from coast-to-coast have the same rights. Unlike some other couples โ€” hello, soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs. Brad Pitt โ€” Bell and Shepard promise to keep their word.

Said Shepard to CNN: "We're not going to have a party when half of our friends ... can't do that thing we're doing. We're not going to ask them to come celebrate a right they don't have. That's just tacky! Forget like anything else, it's like really tacky for us."

For her part, Bell remarked, "I don't believe in standing in the way of love, and I want to stand up for that right. And that's what it is. If someone wants to commit their life to another person, why would I not bolster that argument?"

Watch the couple discuss their commitment to equality AFTER THE JUMP. I've also included the infamous video of Bell having a breakdown over meeting a sloth, just because it is such a great video and will (hopefully) make you smile.

Comments

1. I've always liked these two, individually and together, but I like them even more now.

Posted by: danielw | Aug 23, 2012 2:28:25 PM

2. LOVE THEM!~

Posted by: Clay | Aug 23, 2012 2:35:02 PM

3. so incredibly cute!!! thank you :)

Posted by: RxR | Aug 23, 2012 2:41:46 PM

4. That video of her always makes me laugh my ass off. How adorable.

Posted by: luminum | Aug 23, 2012 2:49:53 PM

5. Hmmm. In the movies I've seen him in, Dax Shepard is usually cast as a smarmy jerk, a bad guy. I know actors aren't who they play but when you see someone in that type of role often enough you start to think of them actually being that way. It's nice to know he's actually a great guy.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 23, 2012 2:53:51 PM

6. i heard them on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me. they are insufferable.

Posted by: nico | Aug 23, 2012 2:58:28 PM

7. YEAH.
    RIGHT.

Posted by: David in NYC | Aug 23, 2012 3:12:09 PM

8. I don't believe any of these straight people who say they won't get married until gay people can get married.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie said the same thing yet I am betting they will be married before the end of the year.

Charlize Theron said she was not getting married because gay people could not get married than a few months later she changed her mind and she wasn't getting married because she had never seen a successful marriage so she didn't see the point.

They are all liars. They are just using the gays to get our money.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 23, 2012 3:22:53 PM

9. What's with the Pitt/Jolie bashing? They aren't even married yet. This is the sort of highly subjective editorial tone which makes me wish Andy didn't pass the reins.

Posted by: Wil | Aug 23, 2012 3:28:19 PM

10. I love these two! But, seriously, just get married guys, the gays won't mind.

Posted by: Luke | Aug 23, 2012 3:32:04 PM

11. She is an absolute doll despite her seething hatred of a certain late night gay robot skeleton. And he's kinda cute in a dopey surfer sorta way. They're good folk.

Posted by: Otkon | Aug 23, 2012 4:06:06 PM

12. I've loved her since Veronica Mars and now I love her more - I just hope they stick to it.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 23, 2012 4:34:07 PM

13. Marry, kids! We love that you care, but you should be happy.

Posted by: jimstoic | Aug 23, 2012 6:02:54 PM

14. I adore her, she is a doll! I followed her on twitter for a while and she is very active in support gay rights and animal rights, awesome gal.

In Brad and Angie's defense they did say more than once that they would only get married if their kids wanted them to, they said that like two years ago.

Posted by: testington | Aug 23, 2012 6:44:41 PM

15. nicco- if by "insufferable" you mean adorable, I could'nt agree more..

Posted by: bornready2 | Aug 23, 2012 8:03:47 PM

16. OMG! I posted before I had seen both clips! She is the CUTEST thing ever with her obession with sloths... LOL

Posted by: bornready2 | Aug 23, 2012 8:11:29 PM

17. I'm glad that they are nice enough human beings that they support gay marriage, but they are still annoying. (And as Nico said, insufferable.)

Posted by: SR | Aug 23, 2012 9:01:30 PM

18. There was a blind item a while ago that pointed to them being already married but hiding it.

Posted by: mynameisstolen | Aug 23, 2012 10:17:33 PM

19. Each people all have own pursuit, the pursuit of different things, although the process is cruel, but if there are good results, before suffering is always worth it.

Posted by: cheap Lolita Blouses | Aug 23, 2012 11:23:41 PM

20. Good for them.

If interracial marriage became outlawed.... 90% of people would NOT getting married and many would question the principles of those who would. Gay marriage not being legal is a national travesty and more people should be invested. Passionately so.

I salute these two beautiful actors

Posted by: CC | Aug 23, 2012 11:51:36 PM

21. Their heart is in the right place. They are good people. But the idea that they won't marry until gay people have the right to marry is just silly. Why not refuse to eat an adequate diet until all the children of the world are properly nourished?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 23, 2012 11:52:35 PM

22. They're choosing to make a statement which just might make people who never even considered how wrong marriage inequality is to actually think about it. That's a good thing.

Posted by: grant | Aug 24, 2012 7:08:19 AM

23. I do not see the point of them or others not getting married until equality is achieved.

It is a sweet gesture, but there are better things they could do to support the cause.

Posted by: Blake | Aug 24, 2012 8:01:35 AM

24. Omg, bring back Veronica Mars! Kristen is awesome and that sloth video is sooooo adorable! I'd probably have the same reaction if I ever see a gibbon. Kudos to the cute couple :)

Posted by: daws | Aug 24, 2012 9:05:43 AM

25. Howdy Dax and Kristen. We'd like to host your upcoming wedding @ our Deep in the Heart of Texas (Brownwood) Deli. We'll take care of the food, the flowers and the venue. Maybe Tom Ford, Brownwood/Texas inspired designer, can take care of the attire!

We honor Andrew Wilfahrt by working for marriage equality every day!

Posted by: Steves Harris/Puckett | Aug 25, 2012 2:08:25 AM