Nebraska Woman Who Said She Was Attacked, Cut at Home to Be Charged with Faking Anti-Gay Hate Crime

Charlie Rogers, a Lincoln, Nebraska woman who said late last month that three men broke into her home, tied her up, carved 'dyke' into her stomach and the tried to set her home ablaze will be charged with fabricating the attack, NBC News reports:

RogersPolice said they interviewed Rogers on four separate occasions. Now, police said, because of inconsistences in her various accounts of the attack and forensic DNA evidence, a warrant has been issued for her arrest.

There was no apparent struggle in the room where Rogers said she was attacked on her bed, the warrant for her arrest says, which also described the bedspread as appearing “neat” and “evenly placed on the bed.”

“There was no apparent blood on the bedspread; even though Ms. Rogers reported she was rolled on to her stomach after she had been cut on her arms, abdomen, chest and front legs while being held down.”

Forensic tests of Rogers’ bedding at the University of Nebraska Medical Center found no traces of blood.

Additionally, the FBI sent photos of the cuts on Rogers to a coroner’s physician for Lancaster County, who consulted with Dr. Michelle Elieff, a forensic pathologist. According to the warrant, Elieff said Rogers’ cuts appeared to be self-inflicted.

Other evidence did not hold up either. Police are expected to arrest Rogers today.

Said Rogers in an interview shortly after the alleged attack, which prompted vigils which hundreds of people attended:

"The idea that people think it's a lie is so hurtful. It's understandable. Intellectually I understand that people have a hard time wrapping their heads around what happened. So do I. But I'm a person, with feelings, with concerns. It's just so…it feels like a punch in the stomach. Like a betrayal, instead of the focus being on safety, healing…I'm not a pawn in a game. I'm a person."

UPDATE: Rogers has been arrested.

Charlie Rogers was arrested after meeting with investigators Tuesday afternoon. The Omaha World-Herald reports Rogers appeared in court Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to the charge of false reporting. Her attorney, Brett McArthur, told the paper “To go through such a tramatic (sic) experience as she has been through and now be accused of a crime has made this even more difficult.”

Comments

1. DanSwon says

OH FOR GOD’S SAKE. Another one!? If this is true then she is an absolute disgrace. These faked attacks do HUGE damage to the LGBT community. I think she is probably suffering from some kind of mental illness.

2. Caliban says

Well cr*p. To be honest I suspected this might be a hoax for several reasons. The crime was elaborate and dramatic but it didn’t seem to do much actual damage. The graffiti was very carefully done, not a rush job, and it was in the basement instead of ruining the walls of the living area. Etc.

But I wasn’t going to say that in comments because I calling “Fake!” and then it later turn out I was wrong.

I know mental illness must play a part in these hoaxes- people so desperate for attention they do these things- but does it never occur to them how much damage it does? It distracts from the real hate crimes, minimizes their impact, makes it harder to get authorities to take them seriously. IDIOTS!

3. PAUL B. says

The straight community doesn’t have a corner on mental illness…and this just might be proof. Then again…who knows who this woman sleeps with? And quite frankly, who cares.
    Medicate her quickly!

4. justin says

Lets set the movement back and give our haters more ammo. Bravo you stupid _________ (enter words of your choice)

Violence is not going to help our cause. Lying is not going to help our cause.

All this is going to do is fuel the fire of those against us.

5. says

my first thoughts here were very similiar to others posted here.

i think it’s important as a community not to call FAKE! so easily. yes she was harmed and yes she was attacked, but i’m willing to wager that her “attacker” was her own mental illness, assuming she has one.

as someone who has dealt with mental health issues on intimate levels, you would be shocked at what the unhealthy mind can do.

police may charge her with a crime, but we should not be so quick to judge without all the details.

6. jason says

There’s a lot of disturbed women out there in middle America. They fake their interest in sex, they fake their orgasms, they fake their “bisexuality”…is there an end to their faking?

7. Blake says

Huge, HUGE surprise! lol. And now where are all the people that were BERATING anyone as a “self-hating queen” among other idiotic things, who dared point out the obvious on this story when it first broke (http://www.towleroad.com/2012/07/nebraskahomeinvasion.html)? No where to be seen, of course. Everyone here who had their eyes open and more than 2 brain cells to rub together could see this was a fake from the beginning.

Totally disgusting. The gullible rubes who were not only taken in by this farce, but who flew into a deranged tirade at anyone who questioned it should be ashamed of themselves.

8. snowisfun says

This lesbian is too ugly for men to want. Many lesbians & homos fake hate crimes for sympathy. They should make it a crime to do sex change mutilations. Homo/lesbian sexual behaviors are comparable to drug junkyim. Most gay bashings are men reacting to crimes the gay 1st did.

DRUGS ARE GAY. That is fact just as it’s fact that Black Crack Lesbian Pam Spaulding farts and shits.

9. snowisfun says

Also, I masturbate with a crucifix because my dad taught me that it’s the best way to get really close to Jesus. While defecating, because Jesus defecated while on the cross.

10. jesus christ says

injuring oneself and then lying about it for sympathy and nurturance is a psychiatric illness known as “factitious disorder.” almost all patients with this behavior suffer from other illnesses, such as personality disorders, mood disorders, psychosis, etc.

11. snowisfun says

To the poster who is trying to imitate me, you are proof drugs are gay. 1st of all, I’m not a Christian-I’m not even a religious person so don’t have crucifixes.

You homos are proof that drugs are gay. Homo/lesbian activities are comparable to drug junkyism. What I say about truth about homo/lesbian actvities being comparable to drug junkyism is fact just as it’s truth that Pam Spaulding is a Black Crack lesbian who farts & shits. Transexuals are worse than homos-make it a crime to do sex changes. If it can be predicted an unborn baby will be homo, lesian or transexual, then go ahead and abort. Abort the homos & transexuals. DRUGS ARE GAY just like Methew Wayne Shepard.

12. snowisfun says

You’ll have to forgive me. I have split personalities. I keep trying to smash ’em back together with this crucific I keep lodged up my naughty parts, but the truth is I’m just addicted to sniffing household cleaners. It doesn’t count as drug junkyism though because it’s not really a drug, unlike you gays who are drugs so being gay is drug junkying.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get back to dildoing myself. With a crucifix.

13. snowisfun says

Poster imitating me Snowisfun @ 8:15:06 PM must be the homo masturbating with Crucifix so he is proof that DRUGS ARE GAY, unless she is a lesbian playing with Dildo as crucifix so DRUGS ARE LESBIAN as well.

That poster proves gays and lesbians are like this lesbian who made false accusation that they have to resort to defamation. Whoever it is that’s imitating me, most gay bashings are men reacting to crimes he homos 1st did. Abort unborn homos and transexuals.

14. "The Gay" says

I’m actually a bit surprised this doesn’t happen more often, as much as we are maligned and villainized.

She lives in Lincoln, NB. She’s heard all her life how defective we are, how unworthy of salvation we are unless we change the things about us that most of us know only too well can not be altered. Things our enemies claim are our “choice”, a “choice” we are condemned to eternal damnation for.

That more of us aren’t mentally ill, violent, suicidal, or homicidal is actually surprising. Just how much can mere humans take ?

So as awful as what she’s done is, as much as it hurts our cause, I just can’t find it in me to be angry with her, I can’t, I’m sorry.

We shouldn’t forget for a moment who and what it was cracked THAT egg, we need to focus on THAT.

15. Mike says

Antigay Christians are being taught by antigay Christians who work for the CIA on how to use psychological warfare to destroy LGBT people similar to how this nut job tried to make gays look bad.

16. Francis says

We’re seeing actually a pretty alarming trend of these hate crimes being obviously fake or with very little backstory and follow up after the fact. It’s not a good thing and it does make one wonder, if we’re seeing the damage of homophobia rear it’s ugly head, especially given most of these fake hate incidents (and percentage wise a majority of legitimate hate crimes) are occurring in more conservative states/cities. Or if we’re seeing people being paid to fabricate false stories in an attempt to destroy our communities’ reputation. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was happening. In any case, it’s awful.

17. Hmmmmm... says

Now, the important thing to take away here is that there were MANY who were insisting that those of us who were skeptical were some kind of horrible monsters, that we were blaming the victim and were essentially just as bad as the aledged perps. Please people, skepticism is a GOOD THING, not a horrible thing. Y’all were sounding like Xtian fundies there.

Oh….. TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!! Mr. Demille, I’m waiting for my appolgies…… 😉

18. "The Gay" says

That so many of us living in conservative areas are driven to mental illness, drug abuse, and suicide is something that nags at me.

How can we build a real and vibrant “community” when we’re constantly under siege, and so geographically distant from one another ?

It’s easy to succumb to paranoia in relative isolation.

I particularly feel for people that don’t have someone that loves them, that they can love back in their lives. It’s a transformative experience. It’s what our enemies most fear we’ll eventually accomplish – the transition from being ineffectual and self destructive to confident and visibly not what we’ve been made out to be.

They want us isolated, alone, drunk, despaired and dying. Nothing makes them more angry than us raising healthy families and living our lives happy and without fear and shame.

19. Bill says

I wouldn’t be quick to jump on the police’s side. The police can get it wrong even with a lot of evidence. Last night the Elizabeth Smart movie was on and it showed the police declaring the screen door was cut from the inside and accusing the parents of doing something with Elizabeth. We all know Elizabeth was abducted by a stranger.

At the same time I felt from the start this was likely a hoax because it didn’t fit into past anti-lesbian attacks I’ve read about. Usually anti-lesbian attacks are very brutal and sometimes involve rape or some type of act with the genitals.

20. Mighty says

For pitty’s sake. Hell was she even gay? Was this just a mental case seeking attention? She has to pay the penalty for her actions. The sad truth is this hurts when an actual case of assults on lgbt happen.

21. Steerpike says

She’s not a disgrace. She’s probably mad. Serious emotional problems: self-harmign, particularly cutting and scratching, is so common with such women that it cosntitutes a distinct behavior pattern. Then then she dressed it up with some imagined attack or compulsive lying. Cry for help. Pity her. She’s not like the people who vanadlise their own houses: this lady has a real problem.

22. V-8 says

like Bill, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that last time I checked the Lincoln NE police department is not necessarily known as outstanding… police (in most cases still a homophobic institution) get stuff wrong all the time… a forensic judging from a picture? really?

anyway, whatever the case, if she’s lying or not, name calling her will make us no better than the ones that name call us… we should never emulate the ones that oppress us…

we have bigger enemies, so to speak, and while, if guilty, what she did was not right, she is not our biggest detractor…. if mental illness is involved, she deserves our compassion…

23. johnny says

What has happened to the moderation of comments on this site???

Has it disappeared completely?

I cannot make a comment that uses any curse words, but somehow “Snowisfun” can say whatever they want, curse, verbally defile everyone here and get away with it.

Something very wrong is happening on Towleroad.

24. StraightGrandmother says

I agree with Johnny about comment moderation. I used to comment on here from time to time but the commentors here were just terrible so I quit even visiting the site, unless following a link from another website to a specific story. I came over here today because of a link from JMG.

And once I get here what do I have to see? Those awful comments from, what was it, snowball (?)

I like commenting on the stories and reading other comments ABOUT THE STORIES. I quit coming here because there was to much back and forth, one commenter criticizing another commentor, name calling etc. The last straw that drove me away was when those beautiful wedding videos were posted. And people would make derogatory comments on the beautiful wedding videos. That tore me up as I could easily visualize the people who graciously shared their beautiful wedding videos checking in and seeing those horrible, just plain mean, comments.

I tweeted TLR and told them that they need to clean out comments on this topic. If you don’t want to clean your own house then hire a cleaning lady.

Back on topic, I called it right away that I would reserve judgement until the investigation was complete. I felt bad about the big vigil/protest that was held, I really thought that there was a strong “possibility” that this was a hoax and that we should proceed with caution.

25. Brian says

There’s never been any comment moderation on this site except for some automated screening of curse words. I’ve been asking for Andy to clean up the racist cesspool the comments often become for years but been totally ignored, and I agree the comments attacking the wedding videos are deplorable. But unless the commenter uses a swear word, it’s pretty much anything goes, which is really unfortunate on many levels.

26. ratbastard says

I called it from the start. And I’m not remotely surprised she lied and made the whole thing up. There’s many people like her out there. I don’t know if they’re just narcissistic attention seekers, lonely, whatever, but there’s A LOT of them.

27. jamal49 says

As with this c*nt, so it is with the alleged “shooter” at the FRC last week. Let’s just say that the “shooter” didn’t act on his own volition. Let’s just say that there was recompense. Ask Tony Perkins. He’d know all about this.

28. Byron St. James says

Big surprise! Will the commenters on here who were so mean to me because of my skepticism over this incident be apologizing now? I won’t hold my breath.

29. says

There are too many of these incidents occurring and those outside the glbt community is going to think all the gay bashing incidents are bogus, these liars need to be prosecuted in the most vigorous manner possible and these people need to be jailed for filing false reports. I don’t care how mentally ill they are they are doing a terrible thing reporting these bogus events.

30. snowisfun says

Gay/lesbian activities are comparable to drug junkyism and transexuals are worse than the homos. BTW, Dawson I have stood up to Drs. who are apologists for sex change maimings.

Also I once stood up to a psychologist. What happened was I was in a library in 2006 discussing Jon Benet Ramsey case where a transexual was accused of her killing. I said that it should be a crime to do sex changes but the stranger who I argued with told me he was a psychologist & an apologist for it. He said that he would report me to library staff if I continued arguing. Well in January 2007, that therapist who was in the library left his desk & I got his computer ID. I called library to anonymously report he committed indecent exposure & that psychologist was expelled from that library as I never saw him again in that library because of my anonymous call. So I defended my ground.

31. says

Yup, she’s a disgrace to the whole LGBT community and I talked about it at length on my radio show. Every LGBT activist should tune in and hear the extent to which this woman committed her crime. At least this homosexual blog had the guts to post about this, which is odd since most of the other ones didn’t. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/acmedia/2012/08/22/lesbian-charlie-rogers-fake-hate-crime-victim-arrested – When you hear what she did to her elderly neighbor, if that doesn’t disgust you, I’m not sure what will. Enjoy the show.

32. Hmmmmm... says

Stacy, you are a sad sack troll & you have no right to declare who is or who isn’t a disgrace to the “whole LGBT community”. Please pimp your xtian BS elsewhere. “Christian” jerks like you are waging a WAR on LGBT folk & then turn around and claim you are the victim. No one here is buying it. When you have the “guts” to admit that your world view is based on the denial of science and groveling at the feet of an evil and indifferent IMAGINARY entity while deluding yourself into thinking “he” is the epitomy of “perfect” and “loving”, then we can talk. Until then, YOU ARE LITTERALY NO BETTER A PERSON AND NO LESS A FRAUD than this this woman. She at least is likely mentally ill. Your only excuse is “stupid”.

33. Patrick Henry says

Sad. So sad. It’s understandable that those who reject God’s absolute standard of right and wrong can justify resorting to lying if they feel the end (achieving acceptance of their sin) justifies the means (lying & deceiving people). God will forgive you. Please repent and confess your sins. He will forgive you because Yeshua (Jesus) died in our place to pay the price for our sins. Our penalty is already paid. All we have to do is call on Him and accept His pardon.
    The free gift of eternal life is ours. Please don’t opt for eternal punishment because Hell was NOT created for us, but for the Devil and his angels.
    Google How can I have God’s forgiveness and his free gift of eternal life?
    God Bless You.

34. Patrick Henry says

How cruel to quickly accuse this young lady of mental illness. She felt it was OK to lie because she thought it for the better good.
    God forgives only because we’re not worthy. We cannot earn His forgiveness.
    It’s probably a secret to you, but God has provided a way for ALL of us to be forgiven.
    Many of us have accepted His forgiveness, made possible, because Yeshua (Jesus) has paid the penalty for ALL of us by His death on the cross. Please repent and believe before it is too late.
    God bless you all,.,
    Bill

35. Hmmmmm... says

Blah,blah,blah,blah. If beliving in made up nonsense helps you get through life, more power to you. But please, keep it to yourself, you’re just embarassing yourself. What a load.

“God forgives only because we’re not worthy. We cannot earn His forgiveness. It’s probably a secret to you, but God has provided a way for ALL of us to be forgiven”

…an..an..an..and he diiieeed for our sins!!!! sniffle..sniffle..

What rubbish. You may be a horrible person that is in need of “forgiveness”, but I’ve done nothing so wrong that the only way to put my mind at rest is to grovel at the feet of imaginary monsters. Please, grow a spine and some brains before its too late. The longer you believe, the more permanent that personality defect becomes.

Oh, and “God’s absolute standard of right and wrong”!?!?! What a laugh. So, was it right or wrong when your god killed the innocent children of Pharoh? Was it right or wrong when your god commanded the killing of the Cannanites? And please, do tell how the destruction of an entire planet with the exception of “Noah” and his spawn can even remotely be jugded as “right” by anyone other than the functinoally retarded or a complete psycopath? Was it be..be..because he just knew that thousands of years later he would magically appear as a baby in the womb of a virgin and then commit temporary scuicide by making the Romans kill himself knowing full well that he would just revive himself later, all to save…save…save us from our ev…ev…evil selves….sniffle…sniffle…? Go proselytize your absurdities somewhere else. How about Saudi Arabia, they sure could use some jesus now couldn’t they.

An..an..guh..guh..god bless you too!

36. Hmmmmm... says

Oh, and Bill… those who embrase “God’s absolute standard of right and wrong” NEVER justify resorting to lying if they feel the end justifies the means, now do they? I can provide a list if needed.

But I guess it was just demonic possession or satan that made them do it righ? Or maybe the classic Xtian get out of jail free card: “but..but..they were not TRRRUUUEEE Christains”.