2012 Olympics | Barack Obama | Brad Pitt | Chris Christie | Education | Gay Marriage | Gore Vidal | Michael Musto | Michael Phelps | News

BigGayDeal.com

News: Michael Phelps, Singularity, Kofi Annan, 'Pseudo Libertarian'

Mphelps161NewsIcon Michael Phelps results... find out AFTER THE JUMP.

1NewsIcon Rumor has it that Brad Pitt is now pursuing a gay role "with fresh zeal" after his mother came out against marriage equality.

1NewsIcon Ghostbuster 3 is a go, less Bill Murray, says Dan Ackroyd.

1NewsIcon Gov. Chris Christie is reportedly more popular than President Obama in New Jersey.

1NewsIcon Has the Singularity, that hypothetical time when computers are meant to overcome human intelligence and control, already happened? Or is it never going to happen? New Scientists suggest the latter: "The singularity isn’t near. In fact, it might be said that it’s an idea whose time is finally over. It’s not future-facing to be a singularitarian. At this point, this film is a true story about the past."

1NewsIcon Ryan Lochte's mother says the Olympic swimmer is too busy to have a serious relationship, so he has one-night stands instead. Practical.

1NewsIcon Olympic diver Greg Louganis sat down with CNN's Piers Morgan recently and discussed what it was like to find out he was HIV positive in 1988, when he was 28-years old. "Back in 1988 when I was diagnosed with HIV, we thought of HIV as a death sentence... Honestly, I didn't think I'd see 30." He also addressed the Chick-fil-A brouhaha: "Who eats that stuff? I mean, you know, I kind of like my arteries...I like the blood flowing."

DD891NewsIcon This really is random nerd nostalgia, and it's wonderful.

1NewsIcon Is this Victoria Beckham's microphone for the Olympics' closing ceremony?

1NewsIcon Openly gay Italian politician Nichi Vendola announced his candidacy for the prime ministership. "It's time for change," he said, sound a lot like another history-making politico.

1NewsIcon Nineteen-year old gay man admits eating at Chick-fil-A and explains why: "As a gay man, I say let [Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy] not support gays. When the gay community and gay activist groups push on anti-gay people and organizations to change their minds and opinions via bullying or forced involvement, I fear it would make whatever accomplishments taste cheap like a greasy coin."

1NewsIcon The gay-straight alliance at University of Alabama is trying to boot Chick-fil-A from their campus.

1NewsIcon Village Voice journo Michael Musto on the right wing claims that they're supporting Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy's free speech, rather than religious extremism: "But in defending the hate mongering Chick-Fil-A, these people can hide behind their flag-waving, pseudo libertarian crap while backing an organization's bigoted views that just happen to mirror their own.Do they have a right to say that? Sure. And I have a right to yell bloody murder."

1NewsIcon Bad news for Democrats: "The Senate is likely to assume an even more conservative tenor come January as a crop of insurgent-minded Republicans replace some of the GOP's old guard in the upper chamber. A transformation within the Republican Party that was first set in motion during the 2010 midterm elections appears set to continue in the Senate, following in the path blazed in the House during this term of Congress."

YoungVidal1NewsIcon The New York Times offers corrections on gay writer Gore Vidal's obituary. The best bit: "...Mr. Vidal’s relationship with his longtime live-in companion, Howard Austen, was also described incorrectly. According to Mr. Vidal’s memoir “Palimpsest,” they had sex the night they met, but did not sleep together after they began living together. It was not true that they never had sex."

1NewsIcon Meanwhile, House Speaker John Boehner says he's "feeling better" about the GOP maintaining control of the House.

1NewsIcon Me on the media's relationship with Washingotn.

1NewsIcon In a surprise move, Kofi Annan stepped down from the UN's Syria Envoy. "It is impossible for me or anyone to compel the Syrian government and also the opposition to take the steps to bring about the political process. As an envoy, I can't want peace more than the protagonists, more than Security Council or the international community, for that matter," he said.

1NewsIcon Matt Bomer, partner Simon Halls and their three kids were spotted by paps strolling around New York City.

SPOILERS

1NewsIcon So, as for Phelps, since so many people were upset with spoilers, here it is: The swimmer bested Ryan Lochte in the 200 individual medley. It is his 16th gold medal

1NewsIcon And, a patriotic congratulations to Gabby Douglas, gold medal winner for Women's Gymnastics Individual All-Around in London.

Comments

1. Seriously? I can't even come here and not have the Olympics ruined for me? Noted.

Posted by: Angry | Aug 2, 2012 4:58:22 PM

2. SPOILER!!!!! Gee, thanks, not like I was looking forward to watching that race tonight. Hmph.

Posted by: tim | Aug 2, 2012 5:00:11 PM

3. I, too, was a little sad to see that even here the Olympics get ruined....ugh.

Posted by: C.J. | Aug 2, 2012 5:04:09 PM

4. It's just silly. I expect to have ESPN or CNN or NY Times ruin it, but a gay blog? Really? Unless Michael Phelps got a handy from Lochte after the race, don't ruin it for those of us who can't live stream at work.

Posted by: Angry | Aug 2, 2012 5:06:54 PM

5. I don't understand the compulsion to post Olympics information when you know every here is at work and has not watched. The whole news media and blogosphere has been terrible about this, and it's infuriating.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Aug 2, 2012 5:07:01 PM

6. 'I fear it would make whatever accomplishments taste cheap like a greasy coin.'

So instead you give your money to an organization that is working to make you never have that accomplishment. Much better, right?

Posted by: Syrax | Aug 2, 2012 5:15:29 PM

7. It's nice to know that the Republican talking points have made their rounds. How despicable that NBC is pretending to be Fox and promoting speculation as fact. The GOP knows that the convention might go OK, but the debates are going to be a debacle for Romney. The man cannot speak without sounding like an idiot, and every recent poll shows Obama with a firm lead. Sure, things could change. Like maybe if Romney gets a brain transplant and erases his history. He'll lose if he releases his tax returns (which, if they're damaging as everyone assumes, he should have done six months ago), and he has no chance if he doesn't.

Also, Grover Norquist is an idiot on many levels. "Change happens faster in the House because you change over every two years,” said Grover Norquist, the president of the fiscally conservative Americans for Tax Reform. “From a Reagan perspective, it just takes longer for the Senate to shift than in the House." A Reagan perspective? What does that mean? Reagan was fairly old, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't set the lengths of terms for Congress.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 2, 2012 5:15:31 PM

8. Really? You're just going to lead off with spoiler after spoiler, on subjects that have nothing to do with "homosexual tendencies?" You can't even warn us? (Or I guess you just did. No Towleroad visits for me for the next week and a half, until the Olympics end.)

Posted by: chris | Aug 2, 2012 5:17:36 PM

9. "I don't understand the compulsion to post Olympics information when you know every here is at work and has not watched."

You mean you're at work and haven't been able to watch it. Many of us have already watched it. Many - shockingly - don't live in your time zone.

I'm not sure why there should be any compunction on Belonsky's part not to post this. If you don't want to be spoiled for the Olympics, stay off the internet. Otherwise, it's merely reporting the news.

Posted by: Nat | Aug 2, 2012 5:18:01 PM

10. But they still won't correct Mr. Vidal's late partner's name. He was Howard Auster, not Austen.

Posted by: scotsyank | Aug 2, 2012 5:21:50 PM

11. @Nat Considering this is an American Blog, about American news, it is fair to assume the majority of readers are at work during the Olympics coverage. And, in that vein, I would imagine they could avoid posting spoilers until tomorrow.

And no, I'm not going to not go anywhere on the internet all day. I will avoid news sites like NYT and CNN, but avoiding any blog? Absurd. And I'm going to expect random gay blogs not to post massive spoilers for tonight's primetime coverage at 5:10.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Aug 2, 2012 5:26:05 PM

12. And you'd think Andy wouldn't want people avoiding his blog. It would seem sensible to post it behind a link (like he does everything else), so if you WANT to see the results you can and if you don't, you don't have to. Otherwise, I'm happy to just stop coming here until the Olympics are over.

Posted by: Angry | Aug 2, 2012 5:30:01 PM

13. The Gay-Straight Alliance attempting to get rid of Chick-Fil-A on campus is the University of Alabama-Huntsville, a completely different school than the University of Alabama which is located in a completely different part of the state in a city known as Tuscaloosa. Just thought you might want to update with the correction.

Posted by: David | Aug 2, 2012 5:36:52 PM

14. While Pitt's "Troy" certainly desexualized Achilles, he's already had a gay role: Judge Vaughan Walker in "8".

Not that another would hurt. Maybe mom's a slow learner.

Posted by: Vint | Aug 2, 2012 5:41:26 PM

15. That Chiken supporting teenager needs to read more.

It's not just about speech. Then again, he's probably not real, but sock puppet.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 2, 2012 5:44:31 PM

16. @scotsyank: Mr. Vidal's late partner began life as Howard Auster, but finished it as Howard Austen because Gore convinced him to change his surname after advertising firms for which he wanted to work refused to hire him because he was Jewish.

Posted by: Vint | Aug 2, 2012 5:44:59 PM

17. I'm really tired of the drumbeat of depressing bad political news on here.

Posted by: Hector | Aug 2, 2012 5:45:23 PM

18. Wow. Thanks for warning-free Olympic spoiler.

Posted by: There Goes That | Aug 2, 2012 5:46:46 PM

19. Greg said it best and simply stated!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Aug 2, 2012 5:46:48 PM

20. Try accurately "sound biting" poll data

Christie is more popular than Obama...AMONG INDEPENDENTS.

The polling data show he is widely hated by Democrats...and Dems outnumber Independents in NJ.

Your grade for your political science report = D

Posted by: qj201 | Aug 2, 2012 5:58:25 PM

21. Well a big old screw you for spoiling the outcome of tonight's competition.

Really, it's 2012, the concept of a spoiler alert should not be a new to you.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Aug 2, 2012 6:31:02 PM

22. shocked that so many people care *that* much about this.

o_O

Posted by: lol at angry avid olympics followers | Aug 2, 2012 7:01:23 PM

23. Re: The Italian running for PM:
    "The openly gay man, who wears an earring and speaks with a lisp..."

huh? who the hell wrote that??

Posted by: james | Aug 2, 2012 7:06:02 PM

24. Aaaand I won't be coming back here until the Olympics are over. I work in online digital marketing, with twitter, facebook, and reddit feeds all over the place. Ya know what? I managed to avoid spoilers all day because 99% of content providers have it figured out. You say if there are spoilers. Only when I come home to unwind and catch up on Towleroad do I see results I don't want to see, ON THE FRONT PAGE, WITH NO WARNING.

WTF. Wouldn't have happened with Andy doing it. Belonsky, noob move. Have it be a learning moment, please. Either way, I won't be here until they're over. You f*#@$d up.

Posted by: Derek in Madison | Aug 2, 2012 7:22:32 PM

25. Seriously, the first item is the biggest spoiler of tonight's Olympic coverage (the winner of the women's all around) then you go to half trouble later by burying the Phelps results after he jump (with no warning as to what you are spoiling). I hate that we have to way to see these in the US due to NBC tape delaying everything already...then i hate that I have to avoid every news site and program, but here on Towered? Guess I will see you after the Games end, but that majorly sucks. And was fairly disrespectful to your American (most) readers, who have no more choice about waiting till nighttime to watch than the man in the moon.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Aug 2, 2012 7:25:20 PM