Discrimination | News | Portland

Bar Owner Denies Telling Gay Customers to Stay Away: VIDEO

Penner

Portland, Oregon bar owner Chris Penner is defending himself from discrimination complaints from a customer who claims Penner told him and his companions to stay away because his business, the P Club, was beginning to get the reputation of being a "tranny" or gay bar.

KOMO News reports:

The BOLI complaint said Penner’s first voicemail said "I am going to have to ask for you and your group not to come back on Friday nights. I really don't like having to do that but unfortunately it's the area we are in and it's hurting business a lot."

In the second voice message, the complaint states Penner said "I've done some investigating why my sales are declining and there's two things I keep hearing: people think that a) we're a tranny (trans-sexual) bar or b) we're a gay bar. We are neither. People are not coming in because they just don't want to be there on a Friday night now."

Penner denies the allegations, saying that he welcomes all customers, and has a staff which is half gay and lesbian. "It’s not true,” Penner said. “We're not a homophobic bar by any means."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Is this more fake persecution "news" ?

Who needs right wing nut jobs, when our left wing nut jobs keep bending us over ?

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 10, 2012 8:35:01 AM

2. This is sad but instructive. It indicates that, even in relatively liberal cities and towns, we are still feared. I find that liberals who say they accept us still consider us to be outsiders. It's as if we're intruders who don't deserve to be in public places typically associated with the mainstream.

According to these liberals, we are only tolerable for short periods and mustn't overstay our welcome. Does anyone else sense this?

Posted by: jason | Aug 10, 2012 8:35:26 AM

3. Does he serve chicken sandwiches?

Posted by: Perry | Aug 10, 2012 8:35:41 AM

4. I call gayface.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 10, 2012 8:39:43 AM

5. OK, first of all, this owner Chris Penner seems obviously gay himself. With that being said, I listened to the voicemail in question and it is clearly him and he clearly says that people are not coming in because the bar is a "tranny bar or gay bar".

Listen to the voicemail recordings in this video and judge for yourselves. Seems like these individuals were kicked out of the bar and people are not going to this bar because of the fact the individuals in question are trans/cross-dressers/fem. Chris Penner may be gay, but he has a lot of explaining to do here.

And Jason, it's not just fear that drives discrimination such as this. It's dislike/discomfort of something "different", resentment and as you touch on, self-entitlement. There are conservatives that are pro-gay and liberals that are anti-gay. Discrimination occurs everywhere.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 10, 2012 9:10:03 AM

6. I don't get it. Where are voicemails coming from? He leaves his customers voicemails asking them not to come back? Just weird and dumb. He's also lying through his teeth.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 10, 2012 9:11:27 AM

7. No, Jason, nobody else senses that, but we are all painfully aware that you sense that. Your liberals hate us meme joins the everyone is bisexual, women are evil, and all foreigners are homophobic memes in hogging up huge amounts of towleroad comment space while having absolutely no resonance with any sane person.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 10, 2012 9:17:00 AM

8. No, Jason, nobody else senses that, but we are all painfully aware that you sense that. Your liberals hate us meme joins the everyone is bisexual, women are evil, and all foreigners are homophobic memes in hogging up huge amounts of towleroad comment space while having absolutely no resonance with any sane person.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 10, 2012 9:18:01 AM

9. Not homophobic? Really, sounds so.
    Anyway, if all LGBT costumers, their families and all supporting them (us) would stay away, what will he say then?

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 10, 2012 9:30:46 AM

10. Why would anyone want to go to or patronize a place that doesn't want them? I've never understood this. There are plenty of other bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.,

I understand lawyers make $ from lawsuits, 'advocates' also jump at any real or perceived 'bias' they think they can milk, litigants run the chance of $ / out of court 'settlement', etc. But seriously people, get a life.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 10, 2012 9:39:07 AM

11. @Jason

Great point and I think it may differ depending on where you live. I've noticed that in my town. It also seems to keep the LGBT people in check in some way. Afraid that if they do act up they will experience push back from the ones who seem tolerant but are only accepting until they are backed into a corner.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Aug 10, 2012 10:17:09 AM

12. I have a friend who lives in probably the most bohemian part of the city. There's a bar which is quite popular with gay people on one night a week. However, only one half of the bar is reserved for "the gays". The other half, which is through a small corridor, is for "the straights". While there is no hard and fast rule that keeps the two groups separate, it's an understood thing, sort of like a convention.

Personally, I find this sort of convention insulting. It's as if we are agreeing to segregation by convention.

Posted by: jason | Aug 10, 2012 11:07:49 AM

13. Jason, it seems like you're working hard to be insulted.

Posted by: Mick | Aug 10, 2012 2:03:12 PM

14. I think we have to wait to hear the voicemail recordings. Surely the people who allegedly received them would have passed them on to the people doing the investigation.

It seems strange to me that this guy would employ gays, host gay civil union parties and a gay pride event if he had issues with gay people.

Maybe he just upset someone who is now trying to play the gay card against him ?

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 10, 2012 2:59:15 PM

15. I'd blow him, too...

Hell, I'll blow anybody !

Posted by: LITTLEKIWI | Aug 10, 2012 3:00:27 PM

16. True, Mick. Remember, people, this is the man who swears Mitt Romney is more gay-friendly than President Obama. Let's show some perspective. I know at the mixed bar I go to, there are nights that are promoted as gay nights, and there are plenty of straight folk who come and enjoy their time with their gay friends. It varies from bar to bar. Some bars are chill, some aren't so chill, when it comes to gay patrons. But castigating all liberals because of the actions of a few self-identified ones isn't at all smart.

Anyway, I definitely am wanting to hear more regarding this incident and see what exactly went down before coming to final conclusions.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 10, 2012 3:34:09 PM

17. THIS ILLUSTRATES AN ONGOING PROBLEM --Gay people want solidarity with trans people, and EVERYBODY in Portland wants to look like there is no discrimination of any kind.
    My own experience says that SOME trans women enjoy being demonstrative and provocative, if not downright "in your face, pay attention to ME", which MIGHT be the problem here.
    Why would there be customer complaints or lost business if they were quietly enjoying themselves?

Posted by: Bob | Aug 10, 2012 7:29:22 PM

18. I do recall quite a few posters on this site a short while ago defending a gay bars right to limit the access of straight people to a gay club in california.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 11, 2012 11:51:33 PM

19. WTF? Gay Gay Lesbian Gay, gay...homophobia.

He is being TRANSPHOBIC. And he used a slur against this group of transgender women.

Posted by: Dana | Aug 14, 2012 4:44:51 PM

20. His journey began in 1983, when he introduced the first in an annual series of world premiere complications, each presented in a unique timepiece bearing his name.

Posted by: replicated watches | Aug 29, 2012 12:07:10 PM