Activism | Chick-fil-A | News

The Chick-Fil-A Gay Kiss-Ins Have Started - Will They Help? - PHOTO

Kissin

Jason King and Drew Montalvo posted this photo to their Facebook account yesterday and the early birds already have nearly 500 shares and hundreds of comments, positive and negative.

Expect to see many more like this today.

The Courage Campaign has provided a website with information on actions and Chick-fil-A restaurants in your state.

Pam Spaulding writes:

IMHO, I’m not keen on this as an effective protest tool — it’s not about our right to love (ostensibly why gay couples will be there kissing), it’s about Chick-fil-As record of anti-gay discrimination and funding of groups that want us DEAD, endorse “ex-gay” therapy, and to deny LGBTs basic civil rights. The kiss-in seems more like a stunt for shock value that the fundies will try capitalize on by tying the action to sex acts that they abhor. The “ick” factor has been one of the major issues these folks cling to, like it or not.

What about you folks? Do you see kiss-ins as an effective protest tool in this instance? And if not, what are your suggestions?

Comments

1. Kiss ins and glitter bombing are not effective. They may get people to notice, but all it will do is aggravate them and lead to hostility. The people that don't support Chick-Fil A will continue to boycott, and those that agree will continue to go. Let the haters get fatter.

Posted by: TyN | Aug 3, 2012 9:46:49 AM

2. Kiss ins and glitter bombing are not effective. They may get people to notice, but all it will do is aggravate them and lead to hostility. The people that don't support Chick-Fil A will continue to boycott, and those that agree will continue to go. Let the haters get fatter.

Posted by: TyN | Aug 3, 2012 9:46:52 AM

3. It's silly. Carrying signs pointing out Chick-Fil-A's direct ties to hate groups and the "Kill The Gays" bill in Uganda would be far more appropriate and effective.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Aug 3, 2012 9:47:27 AM

4. I think it is great. The people that think we are evil, immoral, sinners will not be change that with this image, but it does amplify support from other LGBT folks as well as make our love more visible. It shows that we exist outside of television characters. I've heard the statement, "This won't help our cause" about everything from simple protest, to marches, to downtown pride parades, to just being out in public holding hands. I think doing something has a better shot of helping us, LGBT folks, and our cause than doing nothing at all. xoxox

Posted by: Michael J. Hildebrand | Aug 3, 2012 9:49:44 AM

5. It's not a form of protest that will help in this instance. I wish we had just issued statements in opposition to Cathy and let it go. Gays could skip the Chick Fil-A and save their health too.

Posted by: Ken | Aug 3, 2012 9:49:47 AM

6. I fail to see how a "kiss in" will be effective. Perhaps a better option would be to donate to marriage equality groups, GLAAD, HRC, MCC etc. in Dan Cathy's name.

Posted by: Toby | Aug 3, 2012 9:51:39 AM

7. Dumb dumb dumb. The reason we're boycotting Chick-fil-a is not because they don't want us in their restaurants. They are more than happy to take our money, and will smile while doing so.

This just perpetuates the myth that we think they're intolerant.

Posted by: endo | Aug 3, 2012 9:53:08 AM

8. Our point has been made and made and made and made!
    THE
    END

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Aug 3, 2012 9:55:10 AM

9. Eh, I don't think any tactics are bad per se. A thousand flowers bloom and all that. I am just glad the damn franchise doesn't exist the Pac NW.

Posted by: melvin | Aug 3, 2012 9:56:49 AM

10. Ug. I think our fight against chickfila has been a dismal failure. We've given Christians so much more fodder. With politicians making statements about keeping them out of cities, people making YouTube videos berating helpless CFA employees and now kissing in front of the conservative whack jobs that are eating there. I just don't see how feeding there fear and disgust does anything. They will just have more to say how we are all disgusting perverts that want to shove our lifestyle in their children's faces. Trust me, it's not that I disagree with any of the actions above, but the handling of this situation has been bungled and we have definitely taken a hit in American's perception of us as a whole.

Posted by: Brad | Aug 3, 2012 9:57:13 AM

11. Seems sorta lame.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Aug 3, 2012 9:58:33 AM

12. Well, kiss-ins have been done in the past. Besides, a kiss is just a kiss. It's not all out sex. Let's not allow ourselves to be intimidated by the hemorrhoidic Right.

Posted by: jason | Aug 3, 2012 9:58:36 AM

13. Though I do have to say the guy in the baseball cap who looks like he's vomiting waffle fries into his hand does make me giggle a little.

Posted by: endo | Aug 3, 2012 9:59:07 AM

14. "It's not a form of protest that will help in this instance."

can the left PLEASE stop digging themselves deeper on this one? Let's declare next week "forget about Chick-Fil-A and move on to what really matters" week. A non-public fast food company founded in the South is owned by homophobes. Booo hoo. Big f'in surprise. I bet I could find truck stops, car washes, and general stores in the south that are owned by homophobes. And I wouldn't have to look very hard. Don't eat there if you don't want to. Not that you should anyhow because the food is cr-p. Frankly, I'm incredibly embarrassed as a gay man that we made such a fuss over this type of establishment. If Wolfgang Puck donates to NOM, yes, Houston, we have a problem. A bunch of deep south hayseeds...yawn.

These "kiss-ins" will only further inflame the republican base. We can only hope that a few months of bread and circuses will help them forget by the time of the election, and they will be unmotivated to go vote for Romney. If someone with a brain were running the progressive activism machine, they would at least have the sense to have a "gay families bring your kids to CFA Day". Which would be slightly more effective.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 3, 2012 9:59:40 AM

15. "I just don't see how feeding there fear and disgust does anything."

So well said. As I've noted before, too many "gay leaders" seem to live in the little bubbles of Weho, Castro, Dupont or Chelsea. It doesn't even occur to them how something like this might not work in middle "Amurrrka".

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 3, 2012 10:02:50 AM

16. yeah, we need to just cut our losses on this one and move on. This was a big disappointment, and we need to just move on and get over it. No kiss ins, no law suits, just drop it, and silently talk to people you know about why this issue was important, and how it got out of hand. I personally like this post, and several of my straight FB friends have repost it.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 3, 2012 10:03:55 AM

17. Marriage equality is denied same-sex couples because opponents blindly connect our marriages to sex, rather than to love.
    It might be wiser to stand firmly outside these "heart-stopping" chicken coops holding hands and hugging... that power of love might translate better rather than a PDA of first-base tongue swapping.
    The less they think of our sex and more of our love will be to our advantage.

Posted by: bALAN | Aug 3, 2012 10:05:03 AM

18. It's worth doing. Frankly, it's worth doing every day, every where. But Chick-Fil-A is a good start.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 3, 2012 10:05:28 AM

19. "I just don't see how feeding there fear and disgust does anything."

So we should go back into the closet, KAPO?!!!

I find nothing objectionable to smokin' hot guys kissing in public.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 3, 2012 10:07:20 AM

20. I agree with Pam. The kiss-in doesn't address the real issue: the company takes profits and contributes it to organizations whose goals are to keep us second-class citizens. There is a campaign to give $6.50--the price of a Chick-fil-A sandwich-to organizations like Lamda Legal who fight for our rights. Also, I think promoting a boycott of Chick-fil-A, at least within our community, would be good. Sadly, many of us knowingly fund this corporation's anti-gay donations by still going to its outlets. I think the movement to kick them off college campuses is a good start. However, at the end of the day I don't think even reduced profits will change this company's point of view. The current spotlight on its anti-gay position merely gives them another reason to see themselves as being in the lion's den; they become the victims. And the bigots rally to their defense.

Posted by: barryearle | Aug 3, 2012 10:08:08 AM

21. As long as this is done in a respectable fashion, then it's fine. If it strikes up a debate at these locations, then I'm for it.

Posted by: Anthony | Aug 3, 2012 10:09:35 AM

22. It's a dead end road (Chick-fil-A and Gay marriage in six out of fifty states). A few "kiss ins", while thousands at Chick-fil-A yesterday. We are playing into their trap of "it's the gay way or the highway". Before this goes too extreme, read Farewell to Manzanar to learn what happened to Japanese-Americans after WW II. History does repeat itself.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Aug 3, 2012 10:12:51 AM

23. ENDO . . . do you seriously think that the intolerance of people like Dan Cathy is a myth?

Maybe you do not think they are intolerant, but I do, and so do a lot of other people.

Of course we both are in excellent, or at least large company. You have the denizens of GoProud who would agree with you, and then there is everyone else.

Here is the thing. It is effective, in its own way. People like to credit Dr. Martin Luther King with the advances of the Black Americans, but Malcom X played a crucial part as well.

It takes your militants, not just the timid Blacks worried what white folks will think about them, to change things . . . . or in our case the Christian heterosexual.

If they think two guys kissing is icky, then begin to have an inkling how icky (please forgive my diction) it is for a gay man to kiss a woman whose face is caked in dead animal product, with soft mushy breasts pushing up against our chests, instead of hard firm pecs pushing back at us . . . and that is the least of our worries . . . because down below is the unthinkable creature from outer space

Compared to the ick factor of what many gay men and women have been forced to live with for centuries, a kiss is mild by comparison, but sends a message: "The repulsion you feel when you see two men kiss . . .take that and multiply it by 10 to the tenth power and that is what we feel when we think about the opposite sex.

People have many different ways to get their points across, and we don't always agree with the other persons methods, but I know one thing for sure, begging and hoping to be accepted by bigots is far less productive than a kiss-in.

Posted by: Ricco | Aug 3, 2012 10:14:16 AM

24. David, no one is saying go back in the closet. Please go read about the concept of Realpolitik. No moderate or left leaning person is going to see such images and think "yee haw, those gays are really standing up for their rights...I'm gonna be sure to vote for Obama come November." Not gonna happen. OTOH, some fat slab tea partier WILL say "I don't like the way America is done headed against muh christian morals. [I love how these people always call it that. Apparently morality is too difficult a word to spell] Romney is a false christian, but I must go vote fer him to stop this evil of seeing gay men kiss in public." Stopping Romney from being elected now needs to be job #1. He's one of the most socially conservative people to ever run for the office, and by his supreme court appointments and executive orders will set gay rights back more than 100 Dan Cathys could.

I'm done talking about this. Keep shooting yourself in the foot, gay activists.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 3, 2012 10:15:59 AM

25. I don't think it's politically smart. It plays into the hands of the right wing who want to characterize gays as immoral hedonists (that's already started on their comment sites today with photographs).

Yes I know it's just a kiss but there's no point in writing their anti-gay flyers for them, is there?

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Aug 3, 2012 10:16:17 AM