Chick-fil-A | News | North Carolina | Wendy's

BigGayDeal.com

Wendy's Franchises Post Signs: 'We Stand with Chick-Fil-A': PHOTOS

Wendys_chickfila

Jim Furmen, the owner of 86 Wendy's franchises all over North Carolina, has posted this sign on all of his restaurants according to Reddit users. These two photos reportedly come from Asheville.

They've also posted the contact info for the franchise, which I re-posted AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: @Wendys tells us "We're looking into this."

Wendys_tweet

UPDATE II: Wendy's responds that the franchisee responsible for the signs has taken them down and that Wendy's "proudly serves ALL customers".

2_wendys

166 Southgate Drive ~ Suite 10

Boone, NC 28607

Phone: (828) 262-1811 ~ Fax: (828) 262-0015

Email: comments@tarheelcapital.com

(source, source)

Comments

1. Not exactly surprised that its a Franchisee in North Carolina that is "standing with Chick-fil-A". I'm gonna wait till Wendy's Corporate comes down on him like a tonne of bricks (if they do at least)

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 1, 2012 8:00:56 AM

2. The owner of the franchises in NC must not be a very good businessman, otherwise he wouldn't be stupid enough to promote the competition. Dumb.

Posted by: Stupid | Aug 1, 2012 8:05:40 AM

3. Well, let's see, tortured chicken sandwiches, pink slime burgers, salt and fat filled fries, and chemical-laced, sugar-based soft drinks.

Yup, pretty easy to skip them, too.

These places sell unhealthy food and also harbor unhealthy attitudes.

That's no coincidence in my book.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 1, 2012 8:14:17 AM

4. "otherwise he wouldn't be stupid enough to promote the competition"

You mean like people screaming "hate chicken!" have done for Chick-Fil-A?

Posted by: MarkUs | Aug 1, 2012 8:16:11 AM

5. Actually, Stupid, this is smart. He's attarcting the family values crowd. That crowd may not be in the mood for chicken, but a hamburger. Now they will be more likely to go there than McDonald's or Burger King.

Stephen...if you hear of any response, can you post it here?

Posted by: JP Paulus | Aug 1, 2012 8:20:02 AM

6. Posted from Wendy's Corporation: "On behalf of the entire Wendy’s organization, I would like to express our solidarity with all minorities, and our firm commitment to stand beside you as you fight for equality. I would condemn other fast food chains, whether it be their company President or their chicken-hating cows, who would not offer you the same respect." BOYCOTT CHICK-FIL-A and go have a WENDY'S Chicken Sandwich.

Posted by: Jeff R. | Aug 1, 2012 8:24:52 AM

7. The more fast food places that do this, the better. What matters is where those biggoted, little dollars go. Wendy's Corporate doesn't donate to NOM, nor does McD, nor does BK, etc.

For every redneck franchise owner who wants to "stand with" Chick-fil-A, there are derpy conservatives who will say, "good enough for me." This will cause fewer people to flock to Chick-fil-A and more money will go around the fatass circuit.

Posted by: kpo5 | Aug 1, 2012 8:31:05 AM

8. I'm very surprised to read Jeff R.'s post from Wendy's Corporation as the founder, Dave Thomas, personally pulled the company's TV ads from Ellen DeGeneres's sit-com Ellen in 1997 when she came out.

As usual, The Onion has its own unique story:

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 1, 2012 8:33:22 AM

9. Geez louise! First Chik fil-A, now Wendy's. At this rate, I will have no place left to eat....

Posted by: Chris | Aug 1, 2012 8:34:28 AM

10. This is good because it's bringing out all the secret donors to anti-gay causes. Nothing like light shining on dark places with mean people in them.

We should all make a note and bad-mouth the establishments.

Posted by: jason | Aug 1, 2012 8:34:42 AM

11. When in Rome... Most southern states allow 14 year old cousins to marry, just as long as they are not the same sex. This N.C. business owner knows what side his toast is buttered on, and chances are he's a bigot,too!

Our war is never over, and even if laws are changed, we must never let our guard down. I wonder how many fast food franchises are owned by gays?

Posted by: jerry Pritikin | Aug 1, 2012 8:37:04 AM

12. Are these on the up and up? There are a bunch of fake ones going around the internet, including for McDonald's and KFC. There's evidently a web site where you can fake these easily. Don't jump to any conclusions.

Posted by: John Conolley | Aug 1, 2012 8:38:13 AM

13. I lookd into Jeff's post and found this. Apparently it was a statement made by Wendy's spokesman, Wendy.

Posted here: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2012/07/25/wendy-condemns-chick-fil-a-president-remarks-on-gay-marriage/

Posted by: Cocoa | Aug 1, 2012 8:40:36 AM

14. I never ate at Wendy's and now, I never will. I have been discriminated enough, it would be a shame if my hamburger hates me too.

Posted by: Calvin | Aug 1, 2012 8:42:52 AM

15. Wendys first said this to me on facebook.

we stand with Wendy's. We're looking into the sign that's going around the web -- we think it's photoshopped."

Then seconds later edited it to:

We're looking into this!

Posted by: Carl | Aug 1, 2012 8:44:44 AM

16. If it's on Reddit and it's a franchise in NC I am not surprised. Wendy's Corporate is going to come down on them like a hammer. Just wait for their response to this. At some point in the future, this is going to look like people siding with the KKK. Just not yet.

Interesting that it's Wendy's though, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dave Thomas a fundie who was against gays? I remember the Ellen thing, but I also remember that JC Penney pulled their ads too. Look at them now.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 1, 2012 8:45:34 AM

17. What will be lost if we end up boycotting fast food places? We'll be healthier and live longer. Works for me!

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 1, 2012 8:48:13 AM

18. Alsp goven the fact that Wendy's also owns TIm Hortons which is a very big community sponsor, they might not like this publicity.

Posted by: canadalaw | Aug 1, 2012 8:51:35 AM

19. Franchise owners can be bigots, Wendy's can't control this. Boycott the individual store with the bigotted owner, but if the corporation is gay-friendly, we should continue to give them our business (if we were customers in the first place).

Posted by: kpo5 | Aug 1, 2012 8:58:47 AM

20. And don't forget... "Save the Chickens" eat elsewhere lol jk a lil' humor to lighten things up :)

Posted by: JT | Aug 1, 2012 9:00:42 AM

21. This is just not good...... I really appreciate the few mayors and councilpersons who spoke up- their heart was in the right place, but they did it the wrong way, implying they could do things that were both unconstitutional and illegal- and making this whole boycott thing get off on the wrong foot. A better response would've been "I'm personally not gonna eat at Chick-Fil-A."

Instead their responses have allowed Chick-Fil-A to get sympathy from not just the usual suspects like Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee, but the editorial board at the NYTImes, WashPo, Salon, NPR, and other news orgs.

It's a fiasco now, and personally, we've all known aboutChick-Fil-A's donations and the Cathy's hatred for years- I've been boycotting them for about 2 years now.

Best way forward, let Huckabee bring his hordes today and lets drop the whole thing while still boycotting it ourselves. Public opinion is what counts- not forcing every CEO to believe in our rights....> if done right, public opinion will do that on its own.

Posted by: scott | Aug 1, 2012 9:01:08 AM

22. JP - yeah this site is pretty much where I hear anything like this. I live in Canada.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 1, 2012 9:03:29 AM

23. Wendy's stands with LGBT, please read attached article. This was one Franchise owner who lives in Redneck Hell.

Posted by: Michell | Aug 1, 2012 9:05:28 AM

24. 86 franchises! I live in NC. Unless this is a photoshopped deal, that is enough to make sure I don't go to a Wendy's in this state. The other franchisees may not be pleased by this.

Posted by: candideinnc | Aug 1, 2012 9:14:54 AM

25. Here's a link for the locations that he owns.

Posted by: Kathy | Aug 1, 2012 9:15:11 AM