Alabama | Education | Football (American) | Gay Slurs | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Alabama High School Students Hoist Homophobic Banner During Nationally Televised Football Game

Thatsgay

An Alabama state title high school football team between Daphne and Spanish Fort was televised on ESPN over the weekend, as was a banner hoisted up by Spanish Fort students to mock the other team's colors:

"Purple? Man, that's gay."

Another banner mocked the fact that Daphne is a "girl's name".

Baldwin County Schools Spokesman Terry Wilhite told local news station WPMI:

"It was a gimmick to get national attention, and they were successful at that. What they wont be successful at is doing it again. After the game, the students were spoken to. And then back when school resumed the students were again spoken to by the principal and he, believe me, will carry out a disciplinary action."

Comments

1. Ignorant.

Spanish Fort is a middle class suburb of Mobile.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 6, 2012 10:19:23 AM

2. What a bunch of retards. Note that some of those holding up the banner are females. I'd like to smack these women in the mouth.

Posted by: jason | Sep 6, 2012 10:24:12 AM

3. One of the kids from the school somehow found his (her? the posts are anonymous)way onto Outsports to try to defend the school. The explanations offered are pathetic.

Posted by: Butch | Sep 6, 2012 10:31:20 AM

4. Well, Spanish Fort is an illegal immigrant name, so there! And red -- that's a SATAN color, so there! You Spanish Fort people are just a bunch of evil, demon-possessed illegals! I'm surprised Pat Robertson hasn't commented on you yet.

(This is all snark and satire.)

Posted by: james | Sep 6, 2012 10:33:54 AM

5. I've got news for you, Jason. Teenaged girls can be some of the nastiest, meanest people on the planet.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 6, 2012 10:34:00 AM

6. I'm sure there will be heavy ramifications for these kids in the state that fought back so hard against racial equality that their voter redistricting plans must still be checked by Congress, having made such great efforts to disenfranchise minorities...

Posted by: mike8787 | Sep 6, 2012 10:37:24 AM

7. What does the fact girl[s] were holding up the sign and going along with it have to do with anything? Girls are supposed to be better than boys? Les prone to obnoxious behavior? This is a joke, right? If anything, girls are even more obnoxious than boys.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 6, 2012 10:41:40 AM

8. Alabama - Nuff said!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 6, 2012 10:42:30 AM

9. Alabama gets more a-hole points. Big surprise.

Posted by: Curt | Sep 6, 2012 10:43:58 AM

10. @ JASON "What a bunch of retards."
    Good to know homophobia and sexism are bad, but ableism is still ok. Keep up the good fight there buddy ;)

Posted by: Crias | Sep 6, 2012 10:47:56 AM

11. @Jason: I like how you fight bigotry with bigotry. Wait, sorry. No, I don't like it.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 6, 2012 10:55:18 AM

12. I'd like to see them hold up that sign at an LA Lakers game. Or Minnesota VikIngs game. Or a TCU game...

Posted by: Craig | Sep 6, 2012 11:03:12 AM

13. Wow, I don't miss high school!

Posted by: Lucas H | Sep 6, 2012 11:03:27 AM

14. i keep forgetting what century it is in the South.....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 6, 2012 11:12:18 AM

15. It's Alabama-I am just surprised they weren't hoisting their Bible's as well.

Posted by: Nick | Sep 6, 2012 11:13:27 AM

16. Lavender used to be gay

Posted by: Steve | Sep 6, 2012 11:22:27 AM

17. Well, Spanish Fort is an illegal immigrant name, so there! And red -- that's a SATAN color, so there! You Spanish Fort people are just a bunch of evil, demon-possessed illegals! I'm surprised Pat Robertson hasn't commented on you yet.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2012/09/alabama-high-school-students-hoist-homophobic-banner-during-nationally-televised-football-game.html#ixzz25hgtikT2

Posted by: cheap shoes on sale | Sep 6, 2012 11:26:00 AM

18. It's 2012 in Alabama. Classism is always ugly.

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 6, 2012 11:27:28 AM

19. ...or LSU game!

And these kids will swear up and down that "GAY" doesn't mean "homosexual" and that the fact that they printed GAY in PINK was just a coincidence!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 6, 2012 11:38:29 AM

20. That's so Alabama.

Posted by: StarGem | Sep 6, 2012 11:51:18 AM

21. I live in Mobile. I had sit for Federal jury duty earlier this week. It was a case of a sexual nature. When we were asked if anyone believed that homosexuality was a choice almost half the group stood; everyone else on my row, the whole row in front of me, and at least those sitting directly behind me because I could feel the quickness of them getting to their feet. On the next question ( . . . did anyone, because of religious or moral beliefs, feel that two adults of the same sex should not have a relationship?) even more of them stood. And as horrified as I was to be sitting surrounded by these people who were proud in their hatred and bigotry, I was even more horrified when the jury was chosen; more than half of the jury was made of people who stood for those two questions. And now this.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 6, 2012 11:58:19 AM

22. It's actually borderline hilarious to me, in the sense that these students are so immature and basically stupid enough to not realize that not only is the banner unoriginal and unfunny, but that most people would find offense to it and it would harm the school's reputation. And the defenders of this school just reinforce what so many people think of the state of Alabama and it's citizens. Which in itself is unfair because not all Alabama citizens are this ignorant. But come on. We saw this as said above, with LSU and the hey homeauxs shirt and as well with the Alabama fan who teabagged the passed out LSU fan after a football game. This is truly part of the culture in this state and most areas in this region. I guess I'm jaded to the ignorance we constantly see from the South.

With all of this being said, there are LGBT kids/adults in Alabama and that is why this is an issue. I would write the state off but we can't do that. We cannot leave Alabama gays in the cold. It's hard enough living as gay in the state so we do need to do our part to take a stand for them.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 6, 2012 12:01:46 PM

23. The students were “spoken to”? How about suspending the little darlings?

Posted by: ichabod | Sep 6, 2012 12:03:49 PM

24. I live in Daphne. It's a nice town for the most part. The kids were wrong to do that. I'm not surprised at their behavior, though. Kids are stupid. Kids in my home state moreso than many. I do think something that hasn't been brought up in this discussion is worth mentioning. Why did ESPN air their poster? ABC/Disney (which owns ESPN) has a long history of being pro-LGBT at this point. ESPN is fanatical about which posters are allowed to be seen on their College Gameday show. They tape delay to filter out language easily enough. It's not like they don't have people watching for offensive behavior. It would seem obvious that they should be more careful about what is shown on their programming. Have I missed the apology from them for airing that?

Posted by: Jackson | Sep 6, 2012 12:14:09 PM