2012 Election | Ann Romney | Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Quotes | Iowa | Mitt Romney

BigGayDeal.com

Ann Romney Will Not Talk About Your Family

AnnRomneyIn a Friday interview with Iowan television station KWQC, Ann Romney declined three times to state her position on marriage equality. And she declined in the most dismissive possible way, insisting that the question of lesbian mothers' ability to wed isn't important to Americans -- an assertion with the unavoidable subtext that either lesbian mothers and their friends and families don't qualify as Americans, or else that lesbian mothers and their friends and families don't care much about marriage. Cruel or presumptuous: take your pick.

The full transcript is available at KWQC. Here are some excerpts:

Anchor David Nelson:  "Here in Iowa, as you know, same-sex marriage is legal.  Do you believe a lesbian mother should be allowed to marry her partner?"

Ann Romney:  "You know, I'm not going to talk about the specific issues.  I'm going to let my husband speak on issues.  I'm here to really just talk about my husband and what kind of husband and father he is and, you know, those are hot-button issues that distract from what the real voting issue is going to be at this election.  That, it's going to be about the economy and jobs.

And, frankly, the President said four years ago that if he doesn't turn this economy around he's going to be looking at a one-term presidency.  And I frankly believe that Mitt is the person that is so going to be focused on jobs and job creation and making sure that women's economic prosperity is more certain ...

Anchor David Nelson: "Do you believe that employer-provided health insurance should be required to cover birth control?"

Ann Romney:  "Again, you're asking me questions that are not about what this election is going to be about.  This election is going to be about the economy and jobs."

Anchor David Nelson:  "Well, a Pew Research poll shows those issues are very important to women, ranking them either "important" or "very important."

Ann Romney:  "You know, but I personally believe, and this is what I'm hearing from women all across the country that they are going to look for the guy that's going to pull them out of the weeds and get them job security and a brighter future for their children.  That's the message.

Lsten, I've been across this country, I've been for a year-and-a-half on the campaign trail.  I've spoken with thousands of women and they are telling me, they're telling me a couple of things, one they say they're praying for me which is really wonderful, and then they're saying, ‘please help, please help.  We are so worried about our jobs.' So really if you want to try to pull me off of the other messages it's not going to work because I know because I've been out there."

Anchor David Nelson:  "Well, I don't want to pull you off any message.  You just told a reporter who was questioning you in Cleveland that you want women to have a secure and stable future.  I asked you about marriage and whether lesbian mothers should be allowed to marry.  Isn't marriage a part of creating a stable future?"

Ann Romney:  "You know, again, I'm going to talk to you about the economy and about job creation and about how my husband is the right person for the right time.  This is going to be an election that is very important for women, and we are going to make sure that their economic prosperity is more certain under a President Romney."

Comments

1. She didn't want to answer the question because it is not in her script.

Posted by: simon | Sep 8, 2012 12:29:17 PM

2. Mitt & Ann belong to the "church" that led grassroots fundraising for California Prop 8, and they personally donated $10K to the cause. They are more anti-gay than the Bushes (both), the Reagans, and probably the Fords and Nixons, too. Mitt previously made vaguely positive yet ambiguous statements about gay rights to get himself elected governor of one of the most liberal states in the union, but that was just "lying for the Lord".

Posted by: EchtKultig | Sep 8, 2012 12:33:49 PM

3. We're not going to disappear just because you try to ignore us, Ann.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 8, 2012 12:38:58 PM

4. Her arrogance and entitlement are nauseating. I cannot for the life of me understand how so many people would be willing to vote for these modern day Marie Antionettes...

Posted by: kit | Sep 8, 2012 12:40:59 PM

5. We've given you people all you need to know....

Posted by: John | Sep 8, 2012 12:41:16 PM

6. A lot of things are 'not important' to Republicans. Such as civil rights, a working wage, affordable health care, etc. The only important things are to increase their own wealth and power.

Posted by: chuck | Sep 8, 2012 12:47:07 PM

7. How's the weather in Stepford today Mrs Romney?

Posted by: Bob | Sep 8, 2012 12:52:45 PM

8. You know Ann civil rights are important, like it or not.

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 8, 2012 12:54:32 PM

9. We already know Ann's position. The Boston Globe reported in 2002 that she signed a petition urging that the MA constitution be amended not only to outlaw gay marriage, but also to forbid any domestic partnership benefits. Forget civil unions, Ann doesn't even want us getting any benefits AT ALL. No hospital visitation, no rights of survivorship, no health insurance, nothing.

Posted by: Sean | Sep 8, 2012 12:57:42 PM

10. I've come to think of her as Ann-Imelda, a shallow and greedy woman so used to luxurious excess she believes she deserves it and if others don't have it it's their moral failing.

And even among Republican first ladies, real or potential, she's a milksop- a brainless and robotic help-meet to her craven and soulless husband. At least Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, and Cindy McCain admitted they didn't always agree with their husbands. The Ann-Bot never will because then she might not get to be (one of) his eternal wife in Mormon Never Neverland.

And let me tell you, when Barbara Bush makes YOU look bad you've got some serious problems.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 8, 2012 12:59:15 PM

11. Annie, dear, if it,s not important, then why is it on the ballot for four states this year? Why is it in the republican platform?

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Sep 8, 2012 1:03:19 PM

12. Don't worry, Ann. Once this election thing is over, you can go back to working on the really important things, like the car elevator for your two Cadillacs at your new 11,062 sq ft home on the beach in La Jolla. Must be nice if you can afford to pay $12 million for a home just so you can tear it down and build a new one more than three times as large.

Posted by: Ninong | Sep 8, 2012 1:05:07 PM

13. @Caliban Beautifully written!

Posted by: bcarter3 | Sep 8, 2012 1:05:55 PM

14. Has Mittsy allowed her to read the Republican Platform, or listen in on small talk with the Ryan?

Posted by: gregory brown | Sep 8, 2012 1:13:51 PM

15. No time to speak to you people now. I have tuna and peanut butter canapes to prepare at Upson Downs. And ping pong balls to step on. This chit chat with you people is absolutely ghastly!

Posted by: Whatev | Sep 8, 2012 1:32:16 PM

16. No time to speak to you people now. I have tuna and peanut butter canapes to prepare at Upson Downs. And ping pong balls to step on. This chit chat with you people is absolutely ghastly!

Posted by: Whatev | Sep 8, 2012 1:32:17 PM

17. Sound like someone has been told not to debate the two most important subjects.

These people have NO idea what it's like to be the average person. Worrying if my job will be there tomorrow (especially if I were to come out), will I get shot from some druggie in my town (their plentiful in my town and I can't afford a bodyguard like her family).

Posted by: Jellybean | Sep 8, 2012 1:33:09 PM

18. I reeeeeaaallllyy dont think she's a campaign asset: they need to think about keeping her at home.

She keeps talking about what she hear's from women across America--but whom does she meet with? Rich successful white women who are beyond child-bearing years and for whom health care and job security are non-issues.

BGFKNDEAL.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 8, 2012 1:38:09 PM

19. They just don't get it. News flash Ann: not everyone's world revolves around money. Rights, dignity, love, respect, family...economies go up and down. The boot on my neck only goes in one direction.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Sep 8, 2012 1:38:11 PM

20. Seriously, what did anyone expect.

Posted by: edwin | Sep 8, 2012 2:00:49 PM

21. there we have it, folks - more conservative Mormon wives unable to make any form of independent statements apart from their Masters.

i mean husbands.

and no, the GOP ladies who support "Equality" after their husbands are no longer in the political running doesn't count.

THANK YOU MRS. OBAMA!!!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 8, 2012 2:05:14 PM

22. ...let them eat cake...

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Sep 8, 2012 2:09:29 PM

23. She seems to be just as much a sociopath as her husband

Posted by: Steve | Sep 8, 2012 2:22:45 PM

24. "If Obama loses the election this fall, everything that he's done for gay/lesbian people will be destroyed by Mitt Romney and the Republicans."

And more. He will fill the Supreme Court with Mormons who will have every intention of turning the country back to the 1890s - including reversing Lawrence vs Texas. I hope the members of "GOProud" are ready for police to break down their doors when they are having sex and arrest them.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Sep 8, 2012 2:45:38 PM

25. @Steve: You got that right! Can imagine the daily horror which awaits her domestic staff? I'll bet Leona Helmsley had nothing on Ann Romney.

Posted by: RWG | Sep 8, 2012 2:48:14 PM