Ann Romney Will Not Talk About Your Family

AnnRomneyIn a Friday interview with Iowan television station KWQC, Ann Romney declined three times to state her position on marriage equality. And she declined in the most dismissive possible way, insisting that the question of lesbian mothers' ability to wed isn't important to Americans — an assertion with the unavoidable subtext that either lesbian mothers and their friends and families don't qualify as Americans, or else that lesbian mothers and their friends and families don't care much about marriage. Cruel or presumptuous: take your pick.

The full transcript is available at KWQC. Here are some excerpts:

Anchor David Nelson
"Here in Iowa, as you know, same-sex marriage is legal.  Do you believe
a lesbian mother should be allowed to marry her partner?"

Ann Romney
"You know, I'm not going to talk about the specific issues.  I'm going
to let my husband speak on issues.  I'm here to really just talk about
my husband and what kind of husband and father he is and, you know,
those are hot-button issues that distract from what the real voting
issue is going to be at this election.  That, it's going to be about the
economy and jobs.

And, frankly, the President said four years
ago that if he doesn't turn this economy around he's going to be looking
at a one-term presidency.  And I frankly believe that Mitt is the
person that is so going to be focused on jobs and job creation and
making sure that women's economic prosperity is more certain …

Anchor David Nelson: "Do you believe that employer-provided health insurance should be required to cover birth control?"

Ann Romney:
 "Again, you're asking me questions that are not about what this
election is going to be about.  This election is going to be about the
economy and jobs."

Anchor David Nelson
"Well, a Pew Research poll shows those issues are very important to
women, ranking them either "important" or "very important."

Ann Romney
"You know, but I personally believe, and this is what I'm hearing from
women all across the country that they are going to look for the guy
that's going to pull them out of the weeds and get them job security and
a brighter future for their children.  That's the message.

Lsten, I've been across this country, I've
been for a year-and-a-half on the campaign trail.  I've spoken with
thousands of women and they are telling me, they're telling me a couple
of things, one they say they're praying for me which is really
wonderful, and then they're saying, ‘please help, please help.  We are
so worried about our jobs.'
So really if you want to try to pull me off
of the other messages it's not going to work because I know because I've
been out there."

Anchor David Nelson
"Well, I don't want to pull you off any message.  You just told a
reporter who was questioning you in Cleveland that you want women to
have a secure and stable future.  I asked you about marriage and whether
lesbian mothers should be allowed to marry.  Isn't marriage a part of
creating a stable future?"

Ann Romney
"You know, again, I'm going to talk to you about the economy and about
job creation and about how my husband is the right person for the right
time.  This is going to be an election that is very important for women,
and we are going to make sure that their economic prosperity is more
certain under a President Romney."

Comments

1. EchtKultig says

Mitt & Ann belong to the “church” that led grassroots fundraising for California Prop 8, and they personally donated $10K to the cause. They are more anti-gay than the Bushes (both), the Reagans, and probably the Fords and Nixons, too. Mitt previously made vaguely positive yet ambiguous statements about gay rights to get himself elected governor of one of the most liberal states in the union, but that was just “lying for the Lord”.

2. kit says

Her arrogance and entitlement are nauseating. I cannot for the life of me understand how so many people would be willing to vote for these modern day Marie Antionettes…

3. chuck says

A lot of things are ‘not important’ to Republicans. Such as civil rights, a working wage, affordable health care, etc. The only important things are to increase their own wealth and power.

4. Sean says

We already know Ann’s position. The Boston Globe reported in 2002 that she signed a petition urging that the MA constitution be amended not only to outlaw gay marriage, but also to forbid any domestic partnership benefits. Forget civil unions, Ann doesn’t even want us getting any benefits AT ALL. No hospital visitation, no rights of survivorship, no health insurance, nothing.

5. Caliban says

I’ve come to think of her as Ann-Imelda, a shallow and greedy woman so used to luxurious excess she believes she deserves it and if others don’t have it it’s their moral failing.

And even among Republican first ladies, real or potential, she’s a milksop- a brainless and robotic help-meet to her craven and soulless husband. At least Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, and Cindy McCain admitted they didn’t always agree with their husbands. The Ann-Bot never will because then she might not get to be (one of) his eternal wife in Mormon Never Neverland.

And let me tell you, when Barbara Bush makes YOU look bad you’ve got some serious problems.

6. Ninong says

Don’t worry, Ann. Once this election thing is over, you can go back to working on the really important things, like the car elevator for your two Cadillacs at your new 11,062 sq ft home on the beach in La Jolla. Must be nice if you can afford to pay $12 million for a home just so you can tear it down and build a new one more than three times as large.

7. Whatev says

No time to speak to you people now. I have tuna and peanut butter canapes to prepare at Upson Downs. And ping pong balls to step on. This chit chat with you people is absolutely ghastly!

8. Whatev says

9. Jellybean says

Sound like someone has been told not to debate the two most important subjects.

These people have NO idea what it’s like to be the average person. Worrying if my job will be there tomorrow (especially if I were to come out), will I get shot from some druggie in my town (their plentiful in my town and I can’t afford a bodyguard like her family).

10. DannyEastVillage says

I reeeeeaaallllyy dont think she’s a campaign asset: they need to think about keeping her at home.

She keeps talking about what she hear’s from women across America–but whom does she meet with? Rich successful white women who are beyond child-bearing years and for whom health care and job security are non-issues.

BGFKNDEAL.

11. Michaelandfred says

They just don’t get it. News flash Ann: not everyone’s world revolves around money. Rights, dignity, love, respect, family…economies go up and down. The boot on my neck only goes in one direction.

12. edwin says

Seriously, what did anyone expect.

13. says

there we have it, folks – more conservative Mormon wives unable to make any form of independent statements apart from their Masters.

i mean husbands.

and no, the GOP ladies who support “Equality” after their husbands are no longer in the political running doesn’t count.

THANK YOU MRS. OBAMA!!!

14. EchtKultig says

“If Obama loses the election this fall, everything that he’s done for gay/lesbian people will be destroyed by Mitt Romney and the Republicans.”

And more. He will fill the Supreme Court with Mormons who will have every intention of turning the country back to the 1890s – including reversing Lawrence vs Texas. I hope the members of “GOProud” are ready for police to break down their doors when they are having sex and arrest them.

15. says

A woman who has never worked a day in her life can’t make her husband seem “in touch” with the American people. Is there any doubt that a Romney administration would favor the rich and increase the income gap in our country? Mitt is a pariah in Mormon Clothing and will stop at nothing to expand an empire of greed for the rich in this country by expanding tax cuts for the 1% of the wealthiest Americans. He’s out to gut the Middle Class for every red cent he can get. Will his sacred Mormon underwear grant him the protection and money to buy this election? See for yourself as Mitt dons his tighty-whities sent down from the Good Lord Himself at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/05/mitt-romneys-magic-mormon-underwear.html

16. just_a_guy says

Ann Romney is a lying, spoiled c***. Sorry for the language, but this Marie Antoinette Romney lady is way out of line:

During her RNC speech, Ann Romney said her WHOLE POINT was to NOT talk about the main political issues, but to talk about “LOVE…of a parent and a grandparent for their children and grandchildren.”

How can she announce to the world that she is the Romney team’s spokesperson regarding familial love—and then not address or acknowledge same-sex marriage?!

Further,, she clearly only memorized her speech to the RNC, and barely meant a word of it in reality. It was painfully obvious how directly she lied about understanding the troubles of regular Americans, and of American women. Hogwash; Ann Romney has AlWAYS been served EVErYTHING off a siler platter held by a servant. Lies floated off her tongue like it was nothing; did Mormon Sunday school teach her that is ok????

Ann Romney reminds me most of Cersei from Game of Thrones. Am I wrong that Cersei could’ve delivered Ann Romney’s speech about as effectively?! Haha.

Of course, I laugh, expecting the fake witch wont become Queen. If she does, this country steps back into the 1750s. Yikes.

17. just_a_guy says

@Echtkultig…omg, creepy. ur right.

but the Mormons have been so good in their world-domination strategy that I figured that OF COURSE they taught that lying is wrong.

Weird.

That Mormon thing ain’t Christian, y’all:

Matthew 5 [37] “Simply let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.”

Wait til the “evangelical” voters get wind of this, hahahaha. Except…well, those folks also operate as “Christian” frauds.

18. Bart says

The avoidance on camera makes her appear weak and stupid. And when she talks about her husband, he says nothing specific.

What kind of job can Mitt supply a woman? A maid’s position in one of his homes?

The undercurrent of this woman is tight, controlled and angry. Which tells you a great deal about her husband.

19. Matt says

The more she speaks, the better it is for the President’s re-election. I think she is the Palin of this election.

We all need to fight harder and contribute more to the Obama-Biden campaign. The threat from “those people” is real and cannot be taken lightly. They do not like us and do not want us to have ANY rights.

20. Tanoka says

Entitled b*tch tells YOU what are the important issues of this election. Because:

– women shouldn’t work, they should be home popping out babies. Ergo, no need for birth control to be covered.

– since women shouldn’t work, they need to be provided for by men. This means all men must marry women. Ergo, no need for SS marriage. Also, Gay sex is icky.

In conclusion, this election is about jobs for MEN, so that MEN can get the economy back where it was (before MEN ruined it).

21. Tanoka says

Oh, ps:

Yesterday I watched Brandon Flowers being told by Richard Dawkins that Mormonism is rubbish. (Not an exact quote.) (Norwegian telly)

Unfortunately it wasn’t a long debate because Flowers was there to play with The Killers, so he had to go prepare. Very satisfying, though.

22. PAUL B. says

Ditto Chicklets !!! Thanks for your choice of words…simple and to the point. I find it hard to use words like that because I think it will offend the lesbians who are here…but in reference to this “thing” who thinks she’s a woman…I’m guessing it’s the only word that resonates.

23. Bob says

EVERYONE COPY AND PASTE THE TEXT OF THE INTERVIEW — and send to your Mom, your sister, any appropriate females.
    It’s fun to knock her as Marie Mormonette, but it’s more fun to help women remember to vote FOR their issues.

24. Bob says

WHEN THERE ARE 40 COMMENTS ON ANN, and only 1 on Edie Windsor, above her on the page..
    It reminds me that we are too busy pissing on the enemies and not busy enough demanding our rights!!!!

25. says

She’s a dumbass politician. She’ll preach from the podium about specific issues, but when ask to further discuss those same issues, “Oh, I don’t ever talk about that! That’s for my husband to discuss!” And you know what her husband will say? I’m 100% certain he’ll say, “I’m not going to talk about specific issues I preach about! That’s for the states to decide!” These types of politicians are the most despicable!

26. Mike says

She does not care about American women and their families and her husband does not care about the military and these people want to be the leaders in America? I would not let them lead my dog to take a dump.

27. Bernie says

I did not want to say anything negative about Ann Romney, but now I can after the answers she gave in this interview. If you look at her family statistically, ie; you believe 10% of the population is gblt, then if you look at the size of the Romney family, someone in that family is going to be GAY!

28. DAN says

“Again, you’re asking me questions that are not about what this election is going to be about. This election is going to be about the economy and jobs.” IN OTHER WORDS: we only want voters to focus on ONE thing, because we don’t want you to really know what else we have planned. Like, how we are going to roll back equal rights, roll back social policies, destroy Medicare, let businesses run amok unregulated, roll back environmental laws. But you little people just worry about the economy. The same economy we Republicans didn’t give a flying fig about the past twelve years!!!

29. Ken says

Okay, so I know I’m going to get bashed on here for saying this, but the easy thing for her to do would have been to just repeat the Romney campaigns talking points on these issues. The fact that she chose be be evasive and not answer the questions indicates to me that she may not necessarily agree with her husband’s position on these issues.

30. jamal49 says

You got both hypothetical subtexts wrong, Brandon, as to what Ann Romney was saying.

Try this: most Americans don’t care about lesbian mothers’ ability to wed, meaning that same-sex marriage is an irrelevant and trivial issue for Americans and the families of the lesbian mothers and the love that lesbian mothers share with their families and each other and the validity of lesbian mothers’ families are trivial and irrelevant to Americans.

Strange you missed that. But then, maybe not so strange.

Ann Romney is an elitist snob just like her husband is an effete, elitist snob.

31. andrew says

It is the economy, stupid. While I am pro choice, but always hoping that the woman chooses life whenever possible, it is not as important an issue to many as JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. Marriage equality is also important to me and many others but in the grand scheme of things not nearly as important as a strong economy.The presidency is won or lost primarily on the economic issues.

32. Diogenes Arktos says

“People who use their religion as a guidance for politics have no place in making laws for other people.”

You’re asking for the impossible. Whatever religious or nonreligious positions you hold will guide your politics, assuming, of course, you have any integrity.

The problem is that you must have the humility to believe you could be incorrect. The Religious Right, for example, believe they have the absolute truth (and love to tell God what he should believe). Think back to the Savage-Brown debate, where Savage admitted that his mind could be changed but Brown could not.

Good for them, the Religious Right is actually split about whether to vote for Romney who worships a different God, which some have bluntly called Satan. Fine, they think that Obama is not a ‘real’ Christian, in spite of his membership in a main-line Protestant denomination. If they have any integrity, however, they cannot vote for Romney, either.

I certainly do not deny that organized religion can be a plague on humanity. On the other hand, it must also be acknowledged that organized religion has been a catalyst for great good. The strongest suporters of social justice I know are all active Christians, who take the Bible seriously. They subscribe to the belief, “I take the Bible too seriously to take it literally.”

Any Presidential campaign ought to be more than the economy. In fact, Romney and his supporters demand as much with their dire exaggerations of the consequences of an Obama second term.

BTW – a certain presidential candidate some months ago said that the economy was picking up and now is claiming it never was. How anyone can vote for him is beyond my imagination.

33. Lymis says

As if there was any possibility that a (God forbid) Romney administration wouldn’t have policies on this, probably from day one.

They are free to refuse to discuss inconsequentials – if someone wanted to know what color she would have the Residence redone in, for example, or what they’d serve at their Inauguration.

Actual policy that will affect actual citizens is NOT off the table, and they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with refusing to discuss it. If they do refuse to, they need to be pressured to give a solid and acceptable reason why, not just “I don’t want to talk about it.”

If you don’t want to talk about Mitt Romney’s policy stands, then you have no business being interviewed as a Mitt Romney surrogate.

34. bambinoitaliano says

What a disgrace this woman is. Can’t have an opinion instead defer to her husband? At this point, there are still women who would vote for Romney. Either they are into S&M or stuck in an abusive relationship. Would these women be any different from their burka wearing sisters in the Middle East?

35. Lee says

As a European, I can only shake my head in amazement and/or horror whenever I hear a politician or a politician’s wife say that the most important thing people have been telling them is that they are praying for them. I mean, REALLY?!

US-American politics is a huge freak show full of nutjobs for most of us Euros. It would be hilarious if it wouldn’t impact the rest of the world so much…

36. ThomT says

Ask her about her horse. She loves to talk about her horse. Just don’t ask her if it’s true that she spends more money a year on her horse than the average America family makes in a year. Then she’ll only want to talk about jobs and the economy.

37. MCnNYC says

Ann Romneys Church (Mormon) des not allow her to speak on many issues. Her position is not one to have such thoughts r opinions. She is required to follow the script of her church elders.

38. PAUL B. says

Great post Thomt! I’ve always believed that if you give these types enough rope…you know the rest. Of course I’m only speaking figuratively!! But, the Phelps, Bachmann, Beck, Hannity…give them the rope, please!
    The more they show their true colors…the more the alienate the undecided voter and that’s who we’re after.

39. Sam Molloy says

Smart girl. Anything she says would throw discussions off on a tangent. Do you want to have unenforceable legal protections in a third world Socialist sh*thole or take your chances in a free society?

40. Rob Zeleniak says

You know, it’s comical how Ann follows Mitt everywhere on the campaign trail, and plays the subordinate role of the adoring wife and mother. But she really should let the politicians handle these questions because she always slips into her true persona as a haughty, entitled stiff. Other wives seem to split up the campaigning duties. I suppose she’s not allowed to wander too far from Mitt because of their religious tenets that define a woman’s role as subservient to men. It must be verboten.