Film | News

BigGayDeal.com

Director Nick Cassavetes Thinks Incest and Gay Marriage are Comparable

In a discussion about his new film Yellow, about a woman's incestuous love affair with her own brother, which premiered at the Toronto International Film Fest, writer-director Nick Cassavetes compared incest to gay marriage, The Wrap reports.

CassavetesSaid Cassavetes:

“I have no experience with incest. We started thinking about that. We had heard a few stories where brothers and sisters were completely, absolutely in love with one another. You know what? This whole movie is about judgment, and lack of it, and doing what you want....Who gives a sh*t if people judge you? I’m not saying this is an absolute but in a way, if you’re not having kids – who gives a damn? Love who you want. Isn’t that what we say? Gay marriage – love who you want? If it’s your brother or sister it’s super-weird, but if you look at it, you’re not hurting anybody except every single person who freaks out because you’re in love with one another.”

Comments

1. Nick Cassavetes is exceptionally stupid - that's all I have to say.

Posted by: jason | Sep 11, 2012 9:58:47 AM

2. Yeah, he just went full forward stupid. I really hope he gets pilloried publicly and privately for this.

Posted by: Polyboy | Sep 11, 2012 10:01:55 AM

3. This is a very misleading and damaging headline. He's not saying they're comparable. He's saying love who you want to love. Most people are against incest because of the cultural taboo; some people are against same-sex love. He is being liberal in the extreme, but he's not equating the two.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 11, 2012 10:03:38 AM

4. Can one of you elaborate a bit instead of making unsubstantiated arguments and calling for violence against him?

He specifically said he's not talking about situations in which there would be child-bearing, and it didn't sound like he was advocating for any sort of legal recognition.

So once again, how he is so stupid? Looking at what he actually said, I don't think he's wrong.

Posted by: BenR | Sep 11, 2012 10:06:28 AM

5. I agree that he is being liberal in the extreme but I dont see him equating gay marriage with incest. He's just saying no one should stop you from loving who you want. I am not a supporter of incest, but I don't think he was trying to equest the two.

Posted by: rumla1978 | Sep 11, 2012 10:06:33 AM

6. Thank you, Jack M! I really wish everyone would quit going for the most shockingly twisted take on everything.

Posted by: Grant | Sep 11, 2012 10:06:58 AM

7. I think this comparison is made to say "So what; it's not hurting anybody -- get over it" and I don't think he was being judgmental about it. Quite the opposite -- I think he was saying that as long as it isn't hurting anybody but the haters, who gives a s%*t.

I think some of us are too quick to jump on the offensive and not consider what he is really trying to say, but I suspect he will be pilloried for this. Probably so will I. Who gives a s%*t?

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Sep 11, 2012 10:07:08 AM

8. I agree with Jack M. He's not saying they're the same thing. Saying he's comparing the two is a little misleading. The headline of this article could also say "Director Nick Cassavetes thinks incest and not having children are the same thing."

Posted by: AJ | Sep 11, 2012 10:08:34 AM

9. I agree the headline is misleading. He really didn't say gay relationships were the same as incest, although what he did say was convoluted and IMO disgusting. Contrary to what he said, some things deserved to be judged, harshly if necessary.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 11, 2012 10:11:51 AM

10. Nick Cassavetes is a moron. Of course he's equating gay marriage to incest. Anyone with half a brain can see it. Conservatives will take his comments as a ringing endorsement of their position - ie that gay marriage is a slippery slope to incestuous marriages.

Let me make it clear for this moron Nick: gay marriage and incest are NOT the same thing. Gay marriage is about sexual orientation, incest is about fetish.

Besides, if you're talking about incestuous offspring, there's a good chance it will be retarded due to genetic closeness of the gametes.

Posted by: jason | Sep 11, 2012 10:15:20 AM

11. I think the headline is somewhat misleading and should be changed. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so; please give this some thought Andy!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Sep 11, 2012 10:16:32 AM

12. Yes, incest is another issue altogether and lumping it with gay marriage doesn't make much sense, but I don't think he was being a bigot. Quite the opposite, really.

And the liberal in me couldn't help but agree: I see no problem with an adult, consensual, incestuous relationship. The only valid issue seems to be that of increased risk for genetic diseases, but we don't ban other couples based on their genetic compatibility, so why should we in this case?

Posted by: Winston | Sep 11, 2012 10:18:14 AM

13. The good thing about him saying this is it makes you question the rightness of something you had automatically determined to be taboo -- just as gay marriage was, until very recently. That's where his comparison is apt.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 11, 2012 10:18:39 AM

14. @Winston: I'm not convinced that incest can be consentual. I think the inherent power dynamics in a family render consent impossible.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 11, 2012 10:24:35 AM

15. Let's not fall for this false equivalence between gay rights and the right to do whatever you want to do. Gay rights is NOT about the right to do whatever you want to do.

Gay rights is about having the same rights as those with a heterosexual orientation. It is NOT about creating special rights or slippery slope scenarios to justify everything under the sun, including incest. I can only stress that you do NOT fall for the poisonous notion that gay rights is based on the "anything goes" way of thinking. Our anti-gay opponents would LOVE it if we fell for this notion.

Keep in mind that there are those who would exploit us in order to further the acceptance of their fetishes. Our sexual orientation rights are NOT about fetish. If they want to further their fetishes, let them do it on their own terms without invoking our hard-earned orientation rights.

Posted by: jason | Sep 11, 2012 10:26:00 AM

16. very misleading headline. i've met nick and he's super gay friendly.
    he's not comparing the two. in fact, he's basically saying how stupid mainstream america is for not jumping on the gay marriage bandwagon.

Posted by: fred | Sep 11, 2012 10:26:53 AM

17. And if both are sterile, there is nothing wrong with incest between a brother and sister. The main risk is the high likelihood of genetic defects. Otherwise it's just weird. Parent/child is something else due to obvious power and age difference.

It's rare anyways and usually only happens when the siblings were separated at birth and meet again later. Otherwise it's hypothesized that the Westermarck effect - a reverse sexual imprinting - prevents sexual attraction between children who are raised together.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 11, 2012 10:27:01 AM

18. Andy, you need to clean up your act a bit. That is a sensationalist headline and it doesn't really go with the feeling of the actual interview and you know it.

Posted by: Jerry | Sep 11, 2012 10:32:33 AM

19. I really feel like this headline is misleading. I agree with Jack M

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Sep 11, 2012 10:36:27 AM

20. I also agree that the headline is misleading. Incest does happen. Much (if not most) of it is extremely damaging. But if there are consenting adults out there who feel this works for them - then I don't really care one way or the other. I think overall the interview is questioning the idea of taboo. The taboos are there for a reason. People are drawn to doing certain things and society believes those things are (or were) a danger. So are they really a danger? I think that's what he's asking that we examine more critically.

Posted by: mike128 | Sep 11, 2012 10:38:15 AM

21. He specifically called out Brother Sister incest as opposed to father daughter or mother son, those i can see a power differential that would make consent impossible. Not that i agree with any form of incest, and i admit i still get the heebee jeebees thinking about it. He seems to be saying that people get the heebee jeebees about gay marrige too and before we judge based on heebee jeebees we should look a little closer and judge based on fact, not feelings.

Posted by: RandyOwen | Sep 11, 2012 10:47:06 AM

22. Yeah, once again this site stoops to a completely misleading headline totally negated by the brief article underneath. This is a disturbing trend which I urge be halted.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 11, 2012 10:58:59 AM

23. I have to agree that this headline is just link-bait. If you seriously need the clicks so badly, post more actual LGBT news instead of all of the celebrity garbage that take up most of Towleroad these days- there's a lot less competition for LGBT blog clicks when compared with general celebrity news.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 11, 2012 11:02:55 AM

24. Well done on completely misconstruing his comments to create a scandalous headline. I was somehow under the impression that this site was a little above that. Clearly I was wrong.

Posted by: Sean | Sep 11, 2012 11:18:37 AM

25. Well done on completely misconstruing his comments to create a scandalous headline. I was somehow under the impression that this site was a little above that. Clearly I was wrong.

Posted by: Sean | Sep 11, 2012 11:18:39 AM