Bullying | Ellen DeGeneres | News | Virginia

Ellen Welcomes Gay Virginia Teen and the Mechanic Who Fixed His Homophobic Slur-Laden Car for Free: VIDEO

Bullymechanic

A couple of weeks ago I featured the story of Jordan Addison, a bullied gay teen in Roanoke, Virginia and Richard Henegar Jr., a car repair shopw owner. Jordan's car was vandalized with anti-gay graffiti four times between March and May of this year. Someone even keyed “die” into the side of Jordan's car.

Henegar, who owns Quality Auto Paint and Body, heard Jordan's story and decided to help him by fixing his car for free and improving it.

This week Ellen had them on her season premiere and gave each of them a huge check.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ellen_bodyshop

Comments

1. What a great story and thanks Ellen for recognizing this kind, and compassionate, Virginian.

Posted by: Marc C | Sep 11, 2012 1:24:44 PM

2. A beautiful act of kindness changes the world one event at a time.

Posted by: David | Sep 11, 2012 1:27:38 PM

3. I'm glad Ellen kept repeating the name of the business. That alone is a fantastic way to pump up business. I hope that people in the area will make a longer trip to get their cars repaired because of this.

Posted by: Alan E. | Sep 11, 2012 1:30:00 PM

4. God Bless Ellen and God bless Quality Auto Paint and Body in Roanoke Virginia. I have family living there and I am so glad they could help this gay College student fix his car after the hate crimes that damaged it. This is proof that there are good Christians in Virginia that are helpful to gay Virginians like myself. If only more good gay supporting Christians would come out of the closet and help make this world a better place for us all.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 11, 2012 1:30:15 PM

5. It is the little things that restore my faith in humanity.

Posted by: SamIAM | Sep 11, 2012 1:31:30 PM

6. I love Ellen!!!

Posted by: MIckey | Sep 11, 2012 1:32:05 PM

7. That's just fantastic. Kudos to this guy!

Posted by: Luke | Sep 11, 2012 1:32:58 PM

8. Great to see this story again. I sent Richard Jr. an email after I read the first one, and he went to the trouble to reply with a note thanking me for thanking him! The guy is a class act all the way around. Kudos to Ellen for bringing them both on.

Posted by: antb | Sep 11, 2012 1:40:57 PM

9. I'll bite my lip on his attire but this was sweet of Ellen to do.

Now we just need her to gay it out with Anderson.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 11, 2012 1:42:37 PM

10. @Ant8:

I sent an e-mail too and he replied to me also.
    What a wonderful man this guy is.....

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 11, 2012 1:47:48 PM

11. I love you Ellen, I wish I could marry you. :)

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 11, 2012 1:57:58 PM

12. I love you Ellen, I wish I could marry you. :)

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 11, 2012 1:58:00 PM

13. A great gesture from Richard, his team, the other local suppliers and Ellen of course.

Posted by: Sylvatica | Sep 11, 2012 2:07:53 PM

14. There is hope! What a maganimous gesture.

Posted by: Maleka | Sep 11, 2012 2:26:16 PM

15. Does anyone know what she did after this? At the end it looks like she came back after the commercial for another surprise?

Posted by: AJ | Sep 11, 2012 2:27:17 PM

16. Bigots will be sure to boycott this business, so make sure if you live locally to make up for it by frequenting their establishment.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 11, 2012 2:43:35 PM

17. Quality Auto Paint & Body, Roanoke VA FTW! :D

Posted by: joe c | Sep 11, 2012 2:50:40 PM

18. Here's his website. There's a link to an awesome (and rather unrehearsed) commercial Ellen did for Richard. What a great lady - and Richard is a really great American.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Sep 11, 2012 2:52:51 PM

19. @Bob: why do you presume that they are Christian? It is possible to be nice and it have nothing to do with religion.

Posted by: SamIAM | Sep 11, 2012 2:53:07 PM

20. Someone keyed the word HOMO on my friend's new Porsche in his condo building (with secure parking) - fortunately it was still under warranty - but still. People who do this are such cowards.

Posted by: JB | Sep 11, 2012 2:57:16 PM

21. @ JB :

There are bigots and begrudgers everywhere. I hope that is the last of such hate attacks on your friend.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 11, 2012 3:07:18 PM

22. GO ELLEN!!! I just graduated with 30,000$ in college debt plus interest over the years who know when I'll be able to pay it off!!! YOU GO COVER GIRL!!!

Posted by: Patrick | Sep 11, 2012 3:26:06 PM

23. Hooray for Ellen- and hooray for her saying the words that were scratched into his car. I am so sick of reading "a gay slur"

Posted by: Frank | Sep 11, 2012 3:36:44 PM

24. Why would you be sick of reading "gay slur"? Frankly, I am tired of reading, seeing and hearing the words that the phrase "gay slur" represents.

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Sep 11, 2012 3:56:39 PM

25. Now that's the Christian spirit!

Posted by: Steve | Sep 11, 2012 4:18:09 PM