France | Francois Hollande | Gay Rights | News | United Nations

BigGayDeal.com

French President François Hollande Tells UN to Decriminalize Homosexuality Around the World: VIDEO

Hollande

French President François Hollande yesterday made an historic speech to the UN General Assembly, calling on the body to reject the criminalization of homosexuality around the world.

Hollande told those assembled that France would lead the way in an honorable fight for universal human freedoms:

Said Hollande: "France will continue to engage in all these struggles: for the abolition of the death penalty, for women's rights to equality and dignity, for the universal decriminalization of homosexuality, which should not be recognised as a crime but, on the contrary, recognized as a [sexual] orientation.

He added:"'All members countries have the obligation to guarantee the security of their citizens, and if one nation adheres to this obligation, it is then imperative that we, the United Nations, facilitate the necessary means to make that guarantee. These are the issues that France will lead and defend in the United Nations. I say this with seriousness. When there is paralysis... and inaction, then injustice and intolerance can find their place."

Watch an excerpt of Hollande's speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Looking for a longer version, with translation. If I find it, I'll swap out.

Comments

1. France and its President are so cool. They are even on talks to ban the use of the words ‘mother’ and ‘father’ from all official documents for facilitating their plan of legalise gay marriage, says a report. They're gonna substitute these words with 'parent'. This nation is setting an unprecedented example of upholding Equality.

Posted by: Lara | Sep 26, 2012 8:10:18 AM

2. France and its President are so cool. They are even on talks to ban the use of the words ‘mother’ and ‘father’ from all official documents for facilitating their plan of legalise gay marriage, says a report. They're gonna substitute these words with 'parent'. This nation is setting an unprecedented example of upholding Equality.

Posted by: Lara | Sep 26, 2012 8:10:20 AM

3. What a gutsy speech by Mr Hollande. I'd like to see Hillary Clinton do this too. I doubt it, though. She's too much of a conservative.

Obama, where are you? Why don't you make a similar speech to the UN?

Posted by: jason | Sep 26, 2012 8:19:17 AM

4. Umm, Jason, do you go out of your way to be an idiot? It seems like it. Hillary gave a similar speech to to the UN last year, and several country reps walked out.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 26, 2012 8:37:56 AM

5. I'm so glad I lived to see this.

Posted by: Evan_LA | Sep 26, 2012 9:14:41 AM

6. @Evan_LA
    Your words just touched my heart and a thousands of realisations struck me. Thank you. :)

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 26, 2012 9:36:08 AM

7. Liberte egallte fraternite indeed. France rocks.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 26, 2012 10:29:57 AM

8. It would be nice if France passed it's own first amendment, but for a platitude, it was nice.

Posted by: anon | Sep 26, 2012 10:44:11 AM

9. I am so glad to have François Hollande as my president.
    I believe he will try his best and I supported him during his campaign and I continue to support him now and I will support him all the way.
    Le changement, c'est maintenant !

Posted by: Shaun | Sep 26, 2012 10:44:57 AM

10. j'adore the lusty french!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 26, 2012 10:51:11 AM

11. It would be nice if our "fierce advocate" president spoke to the UN about this.

Posted by: anon | Sep 26, 2012 12:31:47 PM

12. Wow, for those who can't have enough from Obama, are you kidding me? Does he have to go to Mars and every other planet to make sure the other martians know he's for equality too? He said it once he is an advocate, which has been repeated all across the globe in the news... How much more do you want? Really???

Posted by: Scott | Sep 26, 2012 12:46:11 PM