Gay Youth | GLAAD | Jimmy Kimmel | News

Jimmy Kimmel 'Back to School' Stunt Mocks Gays: VIDEO

Imsogay

Jimmy Kimmel broadcast his latest 'let's play tricks on the kids' stunt last night, which involved asking parents to give their kids the most horrible first day of school outfit ever.

At least one of the parents thought putting their kid in an "I'm So Gay" t-shirt would be hilariously humiliating. Kimmel's producers agreed enough to include it in the gag reel. Is the point here that it would be "horrible" for the kid because so many are bullied for being gay, or are gays the actual punchline? The point here would seem to be the latter, but maybe watching too many anti-bullying videos has made me lose my sense of humor.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Horrible, just horrible. Kimmel is a moron and a homophobe.

Posted by: calvin | Sep 5, 2012 1:43:35 PM

2. I must have lost me sense of humor too since I don't see sending your kid to school with the intent of humiliating him/her as funny in any way. It's not just the "I'm so gay" t-Shirt -- it's the whole concept which is mean and unfunny.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Sep 5, 2012 1:46:22 PM

3. I watched this earlier and didn't read that particular one as homophobic or using us as a punchline. I think the humor was more about the fact that the shirt is both ridiculous and completely inappropriate for a kid to be wearing (which the kid in the video acknowledges, when he says "I think it's pretty inappropriate.").

Posted by: JH | Sep 5, 2012 1:47:30 PM

4. at least the kid knew it was inappropriate even if the parents didn't realize they were reinforcing latent homophobia.

Posted by: rumla1978 | Sep 5, 2012 1:48:54 PM

5. "So all this just to get a laugh !"

Well said, last girl !

Maybe you might want to stick yellow stars on them Jimmy, that would be a real laugh.
    You phucking moron !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 5, 2012 1:52:08 PM

6. I didn't find this funny, AT. ALL. First off, most of the parents idea of doing something funny was "lets give my son girl clothes" which already has it's share of problems.

Then the kid with the Gay shirt, at least he seems to have more sense than his parents, who are only pushing the idea that GAY=BAD onto a kid who fortunately hasn't learned to hate gay people... yet.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 5, 2012 1:53:25 PM

7. Chiming in here to say whether or not you agree with the humor in this, and I completely understand why many would think it's not funny, Jimmy Kimmel is no homophobe.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 5, 2012 2:03:57 PM

8. Chiming in here to say whether or not you agree with the humor in this, and I completely understand why many would think it's not funny, Jimmy Kimmel is no homophobe.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 5, 2012 2:03:57 PM

9. Harmless.

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 5, 2012 2:05:07 PM

10. Dear Last Girl:

After that, we all hate Jimmy Kibble, too.

Posted by: Michael Demmons | Sep 5, 2012 2:14:35 PM

11. About as hilarious as a "I'm so Catholic, I rape children" t-shirt.

Posted by: yuninv | Sep 5, 2012 2:18:13 PM

12. Just the latest example of how clueless most Americans are when it comes to gay people's/gay family's/gay kids' lives.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 5, 2012 2:20:24 PM

13. Awesomely funny! As long as the parents told the kids it was all a joke ... then no dammage done.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 5, 2012 2:27:17 PM

14. I dislike all these "Let's trick our kids" videos Kimmel airs. The Halloween and Christmas ones were downright cruel - not sure what kind of parent thinks its hilarious to see their 5 year old break down in tears because he thinks his Halloween candy has been eaten.

This one is just stupid as well and just shows that "gay = lame" will not be going away anytime soon.

Posted by: KT | Sep 5, 2012 2:27:53 PM

15. Please explain to me how being gay is suppose to be funny? Do people understand that we are being marginalized again. It meant to be a punchline, something you don't ever want to be. Harmless------are you serious. Kids are being bullied for being sissy's and now this! The Republicans want to outlaw anything that is gay and this gives people the idea gays are those sissy boys that have cotties. Yea, this really helps us doesn't it. Try telling that to some kid who just got beat up.

Posted by: Dawson | Sep 5, 2012 2:41:41 PM

16. As a gay father I can say the "I'm so gay ... I SH*T rainbows) (they greyed out the "SH*T part) is completely inappropriate - just a the kid who is forced to put it on says to his mother. What the H*LL was she thinking? The whole skit was out-of-line. Kimmel should apologize. Someone start a petition!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Sep 5, 2012 2:48:23 PM

17. Oh good god. People need to calm down and realize that the kids were not actually sent to school in this. It was a silly prank, like all of JK's hilarious youtube challenges. The reason he probably used the gay shirt one as an example is because of the kid's very funny, thoughtful evaluation of it. The kid says "This is inappropriate. I will get detention." Never once does he say "I ain't no effing f-g!" or anything horrendous like that. Even an out and proud gay kid would not want to wear that hideous shirt. It says "I'm so gay I s--t rainbows!" And people, parents prank their kids. Mine did and I turned out just fine. There is no real damage here. And again after the Christmas one, the Halloween one etc, etc, the kids will get over it!! And like all good kids with pranking parents, they will plot delicious revenge. Jimmy has even had a few of the more memorable kids from these pranks on his show and gave them gifts. GET OVER IT! There are far huger things for us to be outraged about. Little kids being harmlessly pranked is NOT one of them.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 5, 2012 2:53:20 PM

18. I saw this and nearly blew a gasket! I called ABC, expressed my disgust then shot off several emails to Kimmel and ABC.

Sorry, folks, but like so many others I have lost my sense of humour when it comes to gay people being used as the butt of a cheap, cruel "joke".

The video was tasteless and classless and I strongly urge everyone who gives a flying f*ck to protest to ABC and to Kimmel.

Otherwise, this sh*t is never going to stop.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 5, 2012 2:58:19 PM

19. really - Jimmy wasn't thinking...tho, Im sure IF a shirt said "Im a Jew" - he wouldnt have liked that

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 5, 2012 2:59:02 PM

20. Well... the offensive part to me is the rainbow thing. Seems to equate us with little girls and is feminizing. Its just an antiquated stereotype from the Waylon and Madame era since the only out gays were flamboyant queens.

Had it been the least bit clever I wouldnt mind.

But still if you changed gay for black or jew Kimmel would probably be off the air. If it had been jew he probably would have been yanked off the air before the episode finished.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Sep 5, 2012 3:05:04 PM

21. I was there last of the filming of this episode of the Jimmy Kimmel live show, and I can say it got a lot of laughs from the audience. If you listen to the boys response, he says "isn't it inappropriate?". I think it was harmless at best, he could have went off on a homophobic rant, but he didn't.

Posted by: House of El | Sep 5, 2012 3:06:15 PM

22. For me, the kid saying "this is inappropriate" elevated the entire stunt to profound. Gives me the greatest hope for that generation. Too bad I will not be around to enjoy them.

Posted by: Peater | Sep 5, 2012 3:09:49 PM

23. @Homo Genius:

"Seems to equate us with little girls and is feminizing. Its just an antiquated stereotype from the Waylon and Madame era since the only out gays were flamboyant queens."

You are right. It is an offensive, antiquated stereotype. And we perpetuate that every time we tell the world that gay people are "LGBT" and have some kind of defining bond with men who want to become women. LGBT needs to go the way of all stereotypes - to the trash heap of history.

Posted by: Danny | Sep 5, 2012 3:15:19 PM

24. @ House of El:

No......perpetuating the very phrase "so gay" is not harmless.....it is demeaning and insulting and deliberately seeks to denigrate.

The phrase "so gay" isn't meant to mean , "so beautiful" or "so wonderful"; it's deliberately used as a weapon by homophobic Neanderthals and it is a phrase that is unacceptable in all circumstances......just like other phrases that denigrate other minorities have become unacceptable over time.

@AJ : "Harmlessly pranked..." Are you serious ?
    When are we going to get up off our knees and make "it's so gay" an unacceptable malicious insinuation ?
    And yes AJ, we do realise that they were not sent to school like that. It was all just a joke/prank to make the kids a great laugh for the audience !!!
    I am incandescent at the vicious stupidity of these clowns......Jimmy Kimmel should get his face smashed.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 5, 2012 3:19:55 PM

25. I do not understand the Kimmel-apologists. Race jokes are off limits; gay jokes need to be off limits too, even when people can argue that the jokes/segments aren't overtly homophobic, the underlying message is that gay is a punchline.

Posted by: Rob | Sep 5, 2012 3:25:03 PM