2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Michelangelo Signorile | Michelle Bachmann | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News

Michele Bachmann Struggles to Retain Seat Against Opponent Who Supports Marriage Equality

Last week, it was reported that Michele Bachmann's lead in the race to hold on to her seat in Congress had shrunk to two points:

GravesIndependent voters have swung against her by nearly 20 points in just two months, from a 4 percent advantage to a 15 point disadvantage. The internal poll, conducted by Democratic pollsters Greenberg Quinlan Rosner at the behest of Democrat Jim Graves’ campaign and shared with Salon, shows that Bachmann’s favorability rating has tumbled since their last survey in mid-June, and finds Graves gaining ground with independents as his name recognition grows.

Overall, the poll shows Bachmann leading Graves 48-46 percent, within the margin of error.

Michelangelo Signorile interviewed Graves on his radio show last week about, among other things, his support for marriage equality:

“My stand is, I’ve been for 39 years in a loving and committed relationship,” he said. “I’m very fortunate. It’s been the best thing in my life and, by gosh, everybody in America has the same rights under the law and everyone should be able to marry who they want to, when they want to. As far as what churches want to do, or synagogues, again, I believe in separation of church and state. I don’t care what the Catholic Church wants to do. I happen to be born a Catholic. But under the law everybody has the same rights and I believe very strongly in dignity and respect for everybody."

Listen to Signorile's full interview at HuffPost.

Comments

1. Still...she's ahead. Not sure why this is a big thing.

Posted by: zeddy | Sep 17, 2012 12:39:09 PM

2. That whacked out fundie moron losing her seat would make my year. 2nd to Romney losing, of course.

Zeddy, Bachmann's 'lead' is within the margin of error so they are essentially tied. In the past Bachmann's Democratic challengers never even got close and garnered little support. This poll shows that support for Bachmann has fallen and negative perceptions of her are rising.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 17, 2012 12:59:01 PM

3. if she does lose her seat, Fox news will replace Palin with her- so the earth will still never be free of the Bachman Virus.........

Posted by: Todd B | Sep 17, 2012 1:01:29 PM

4. Hopefully, praying the Bachmann away will work better than praying the gay away ever could.

Posted by: ROBfromVA | Sep 17, 2012 1:02:54 PM

5. Let's hope the voters will do the right thing and not let her continue in Congress.

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 17, 2012 1:27:02 PM

6. How is that muslim hunt working out for you Michelle, honey?

Posted by: Luke | Sep 17, 2012 1:41:58 PM

7. This would restore my faith in humanity.

Posted by: Tre | Sep 17, 2012 1:43:44 PM

8. That guy looks like Justin Bieber in 30 years.

Posted by: JT | Sep 17, 2012 2:24:29 PM

9. If she does lose, I wonder who'll she'll blame?

Posted by: DeeVee | Sep 17, 2012 3:02:39 PM

10. If Bachmann loses and Baldwin wins, I will thank god and I am an agnostic.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 17, 2012 3:36:35 PM

11. How sweet it would be for deeply, repeatedly, offensive homophobic Bachmann to finally be shown the door, and, on top of that, by replaced by this (apparently decent, sane) person. I can imagine how just getting Jim Graves' name out there as legitimate, potentially victorious opposition is/will be key.

Mr. Graves' website is, simply and memorably, just jimgraves dot com.

Zeddy: She's NOT ahead according that poll -- she's statistically EVEN.

Posted by: rational | Sep 17, 2012 8:00:04 PM

12. Nice information, many credit on the way to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness in addition to significance is overwhelmingoverwhelming. thankfulness all over yet Again furthermore fair luck!

Posted by: the blue foundation | Jan 17, 2013 5:31:10 AM